Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
293 user(s) are online (252 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  National Corvette Museum
The mission of the National Corvette Museum is to celebrate the Corvette's invention, and preserve the legendary automobile's past, present, and futu...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

CadillacTech Petit Le Mans @ Road Atlanta '10
Senior Guru
Indiana
132 Posts

Posted on: 2010/10/4 1:29

Ultraman Re: Petit Le Mans @ Road Atlanta '10
2015 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Huskerland
14738 Posts

Yeah! Win any way you can! My question is what has to happen for the Corvette to get real tough in the GT2? Arn't the cars competitive? How can that be? Management?
Posted on: 2010/10/4 1:47

Vote DeSantis in 2024.... Make the IRS go away...
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

bogus Re: Petit Le Mans @ Road Atlanta '10
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Bruce,

Thanks for the link/update!

Where did the text come from? We need to replace that with a link... I will PM ya.

Marcus,

Winning takes a lot of pieces... better prep, better planning, better equipment. Winning in this manner is no less important than by absolute domination, because you have to be in a position to take advantage when someone else screws up... in short, the error by the Ferrari team does not deminish the effort made to win.

As for why Corvette racing isn't winning? Can you say VIABLE COMPETITION? Ferrari, Porsche, Corvette, BMW and Jaguar all take this class very seriously. They all want to win so they can use it in advertising in the buff mags. If you read Autoweek, Car and Driver, Road & Track, Motor Trend or Automobile, wins in these races become ad fodder for several weeks after. God forbid you get a championship.

This is most true for Porsche, BMW and Corvette. Ferrari doesn't advertise, per se, and Jaguar is a startup and sucks right now, so they have nothing to brag about.

In short, they are no longer the 800lb gorilla in the room. They are no bigger or smaller than the competition. Give them time, they will do well, but there are new rules and new opponents...before, in GT1, they would just lap these chumps... not anymore!
Posted on: 2010/10/4 6:12

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

BillH Re: Petit Le Mans @ Road Atlanta '10
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
Bruce,

Marcus,

Winning takes a lot of pieces... better prep, better planning, better equipment. Winning in this manner is no less important than by absolute domination, because you have to be in a position to take advantage when someone else screws up... in short, the error by the Ferrari team does not deminish the effort made to win.

As for why Corvette racing isn't winning? Can you say VIABLE COMPETITION? Ferrari, Porsche, Corvette, BMW and Jaguar all take this class very seriously. They all want to win so they can use it in advertising in the buff mags. If you read Autoweek, Car and Driver, Road & Track, Motor Trend or Automobile, wins in these races become ad fodder for several weeks after. God forbid you get a championship.

This is most true for Porsche, BMW and Corvette. Ferrari doesn't advertise, per se, and Jaguar is a startup and sucks right now, so they have nothing to brag about.

In short, they are no longer the 800lb gorilla in the room. They are no bigger or smaller than the competition. Give them time, they will do well, but there are new rules and new opponents...before, in GT1, they would just lap these chumps... not anymore!

I watched the first 1/4 and the last 1/4 of the race.

Part of the thing is the restrictions placed on individual car mfgs., at least I heard it mentioned on the broadcast.
It's stupid the way pro racing is always trying to even up the competition these days, win, get weight added blah,blah,blah.

GT1 was a different deal, no one put fourth the effort to win that Corvette did and the other teams couldn't justify the $$$$ to catch up.

Endurance racing is totally different from the rest of the schedule. Just getting a car to last for 10-12 hours is an accomplishment. Anything and everything can screw up your race, a $2.00 part failure can put you out of competition and you have 4x or more time on the track trying to avoid other drivers mistakes. Good bit of luck involved in these races. You're pretty much praying that the car stays together.

Example: I did the last session in a 25 hour race, took the checkered and stopped in the hot pit. When I pulled out to the trailer, the front wheel, brake disc and caliper fell off (new front wheel brgs. seized up), we were very lucky.
Posted on: 2010/10/4 13:27

CadillacTech Re: Petit Le Mans @ Road Atlanta '10
Senior Guru
Indiana
132 Posts

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Posted on: 2010/10/6 1:22

Senior Guru
Indiana
132 Posts

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Posted on: 2010/10/6 1:26

Senior Guru
Indiana
132 Posts

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Posted on: 2010/10/6 1:28

Ultraman Re: Petit Le Mans @ Road Atlanta '10
2015 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Huskerland
14738 Posts

Those are good pictures! Thanks, that would have been a good race to go to the way it turned out.
Posted on: 2010/10/6 1:58

Vote DeSantis in 2024.... Make the IRS go away...

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Ah, you all went! Great!!!

I wanted to go, but we just had too much going on at this time...

Great pics, as always!!!
Posted on: 2010/10/6 18:07

Senior Guru
Indiana
132 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
Ah, you all went! Great!!!

I wanted to go, but we just had too much going on at this time...

Great pics, as always!!!

This was our 9th year & 23rd ALMS race. It was a great race from start to finish,maybe the best one yet. Olly deserves a lot of credit for keeping the pressure on the lead Ferrari and not letting them conserve fuel.
Posted on: 2010/10/6 20:21

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

That's quite a number! I have done 21 or so IMSA/ALMS/PSR races over the years, mostly Sebring. We have done Long Beach the last few years and will continue to do so.

Whenever someone wins, it is a victory. I don't like ppl qualifying a win because the winner wasn't dominate all the way through. That, to me, deminishes the win. And to win, you must be in position to win. If the leader makes a mistake, you must be in position to pounce and take advantage of their disadvantage.

It's that simple.
Posted on: 2010/10/6 23:09

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.