Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
323 user(s) are online (264 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Offset
The distance from the wheel mounting flange to the imaginary centerline of the wheel. Wheels with negative offset will protrude outwards more, while...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

SpectatorRacing Spectator Racing stinks it up at Putnam
Elite Guru
1721 Posts

We finished the 2010 season off at Putnam Park Raceway just outside of Indianapolis. It was not my best weekend. It was my first time there, but that's no excuse. I could NOT get the car to turn so I took to throwing it into corners too fast and sliding around instead of driving smoothly. I placed second both days, but mostly because I'm ballsy in traffic. In the middle of both races when things were spread out the competition was pulling away from me at about a second per lap. Regardless, there's some amusing footage from the new GoProHD. The races are two different resolution settings, but I can't remember which is which.

In both races I was gridded third in class behind the black and yellow Z06's. The overall grid order was time-based and not class-based, so for both starts I had two SuperTouring1 (means BIG horsepower) cars (Panoz and Viper) along side. Watch them pull away on the straights...

In general, you can skip the middle parts of both vids, but the beginning and ends are pretty good. You can click the links below for full screen, they actually look good full size with the new camera.

Race 1, terrrible start. Got some of it back and briefly took the lead, but then pulled my usual trick and locked up the brakes and took a ride through the grass. Dammit.

Putnam Race 1 from Spectator Racing on Vimeo.

Race 2, Learned my lesson and refused to give in to the ST1 cars. Better start, but again fell behind once things got sorted out. Caught up when we got to the back of the field and took second, but the black Z06 was probably 10 seconds ahead for the win.

Putnam Park race 2, Oct 9, 2010 from Spectator Racing on Vimeo.

Aside from this less than stellar showing 2010 was awesome. The problems seem to be behind me, so I can focus on setting up the car instead of fixing it. 2011 is going to ROCK! Book your plane tickets now, the National Championships return to my backyard at Mid-Ohio for 2011.
Posted on: 2010/10/13 1:37

SpectatorRacing Re: Spectator Racing stinks it up at Putnam
Elite Guru
1721 Posts

By the way, the blue Mustang that goes by at 4:30 in the second video has ~900hp. No joke.
Posted on: 2010/10/13 1:46

BillH Re: Spectator Racing stinks it up at Putnam
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

SpectatorRacing wrote:

Race 1, terrrible start.

Yea, for everyone. Huge gaps between the cars especially at the front of the pack.
At least the C5 has his left foot on the brakes (2ond vid).
Posted on: 2010/10/13 2:29

SpectatorRacing Re: Spectator Racing stinks it up at Putnam
Elite Guru
1721 Posts

I couldn't see the flag station so I backed off to get a look. I feinted left, realized the wall is right there, and by the time I went back to the right it was too late. Add radios to the list of things needed.
Posted on: 2010/10/13 3:35

BillH Re: Spectator Racing stinks it up at Putnam
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

SpectatorRacing wrote:
I couldn't see the flag station so I backed off to get a look. I feinted left, realized the wall is right there, and by the time I went back to the right it was too late. Add radios to the list of things needed.

Yea, if you can't see the starter, radios are a must.

If you're mid pack at Laguna, the flag can be dropped before you make the left hand turn on to the straight. The corner worker there even has a green flag that flies when the starter waves his.

If I have time, I try to watch a couple of starts before my race. Sometimes you can read the starter if you're towards the front and can see him. A lot of starters will hold the flag down in the box with their elbow pointed up, so, you watch his elbow with one eye, when it starts to move down, the flag's coming up.
Posted on: 2010/10/13 13:31

bogus Re: Spectator Racing stinks it up at Putnam
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

everyone has a bad year - but call this a "rebuilding year!"

That's it! 2011 here we come! When are the runoffs, September? Didn't it snow one year during the runoffs???
Posted on: 2010/10/17 7:02

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.