Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
333 user(s) are online (246 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  A4
Generic reference to an automatic equipped C4. All are 4-speed overdrive units....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

toptechx6 Shark education
Senior Guru
south Florida
362 Posts

Hoping some of the experienced C3 guys can suggest some books for a rookie thinking of taking the plunge.
My wife has had the bug for a shark and may invest her bonus check. I got dumb lucky on the C4 but would prefer to have more knowledge this time. Any and all suggestions appreciated, thanks in advance.
Posted on: 2008/1/1 12:27
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

brut RE:Shark education
Guru Emeritus
New Albany, IN
1308 Posts

Well....if you are looking for facts about the C3, there are numerous books out there explaining the options, features, and production numbers out there. I have three of them, but I can't give you the names of them right now because I am at work, I can't remember their names.

If you are just wanting to know what to look for in a C3(worth or issues), I would suggest just hanging here. When I was doing my shopping it was much quicker to just ask and get an answer within minutes or hours.

I would be happy to share my experiences with you and help guide you in the right direction. I am not an expert by any means, but I have learned a lot the past few years!
Posted on: 2008/1/1 12:34

toptechx6 RE:Shark education
Senior Guru
south Florida
362 Posts

Suppose initially I'll be looking for buyers guide type information, areas requiring close inspection, what to avoid.
Hoping to gain some education before I make a purchase mistake rather than try to correct one after the fact.
If I do make a purchase, I will then of course utilize the forum for technical advice on specific issues.
Your offer to advise is appreciated and will definitely be utilized, thanks.
Posted on: 2008/1/1 12:54

Guru Emeritus
New Albany, IN
1308 Posts

I can tell you up front what the important area to look at are...

1)Windshield frame: Look for rust around areas. Also, if seller will let you, pull the plastic trim pieces from the inside of the windshield frames. Water really likes to collect in these areas. Look for serious rusting. Since the frame is a part of the birdcage, if you have to replace it, it will be critical to get it back in exactly the way you found it or you will have some serious alignment problems.

2) The main body frame likes to rust as well. Especially near the rear wheels. More than likely there will be some surface rust, but tap around with hammer and see if you see rot. A frame replacement can be expensive. You can also remove the kick panels near the front and see how the body mounts look in those areas.

I will write more later...its time for me to go home from work. I am tired
Posted on: 2008/1/1 13:03

kentucky_vetter RE:Shark education
Senior Guru
somerset, ky
154 Posts

Brut gave you some great tips there, esp the windshield frame, pay close attn to that area. i also have 2 C3s so if i can be of any help just holler. good luck in your search
Posted on: 2008/1/2 12:56

jrzvette RE:Shark education
Guru
new jersey
73 Posts

"The Corvette Black Book" by Michael Antonik will give you a good idea of how the cars evolved and what options were available for each model year.

Two other good books are "How to Restore and Modify Your 1968-82 Corvette" by Richard Newton and "Corvette Restoration Guide" by Richard Prince. Both books have sections on what to look for (and what to look out for), when chosing a C3.

Another suggestion, since you live in south Fl, is to go to a couple of shows (I assume they still hold them throughout the "winter" down there), and ask questions of the C3 owners.
Posted on: 2008/1/4 2:22

j3studio RE:Shark education
Elite Guru
Western Philadelphia Burbs
4247 Posts

Quote:
"The Corvette Black Book" by Michael Antonik will give you a good idea of how the cars evolved and what options were available for each model year.

Two other good books are "How to Restore and Modify Your 1968-82 Corvette" by Richard Newton and "Corvette Restoration Guide" by Richard Prince. Both books have sections on what to look for (and what to look out for), when chosing a C3.

Another suggestion, since you live in south Fl, is to go to a couple of shows (I assume they still hold them throughout the "winter" down there), and ask questions of the C3 owners.

Some great suggestions here, especially looking at Newton's book and attending a couple of shows. For example, there's an NCRS Regional meet at Kissimmee this week from the 9th to the 12th and I know there will be C3 folks there who have both perfect show cars and nice drivers.
Posted on: 2008/1/6 22:07

big2bird RE:Shark education
Guru Newb
7 Posts

Pull the kick panels and look inside. Birdcage problems show up there first.

The more $$ you spend initially, the less you will spend on restoring it. A $10,000 car will need $20,000 to restore. A $20,000 car will need $5,000.
Posted on: 2008/2/18 19:02

Matatk RE:Shark education
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22804 Posts

Ok, this may be a dumb question, but I have to ask. I always hear people say "birdcage" - what is that specifically?

Matthew
Posted on: 2008/2/18 23:40

Guru Emeritus
New Albany, IN
1308 Posts

Birdcage refers to the frame of the body itself. Windshield frame, door frame and rear panels.
Posted on: 2008/2/18 23:46

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22804 Posts

Thanks. That's not too hard. I'd like to learn more about C3s. It's always good to learn My wife likes the look of them, but I'll probably move to a C5 before a C3. Actually, I'll be sticking with the C4 for a while since we've got a baby on the way

Matthew
Posted on: 2008/2/18 23:48

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22804 Posts

I found this pic - I think this is correct?

Resized Image
Posted on: 2008/2/18 23:54

TimAT RE:Shark education
Guru Newb
Gladstone, MO (Kansas City)
38 Posts

You got it. That's the birdcage. Another place to look is right behind the doors where the frame turns up to go over the rear wheels, known as the "kickup". Brut has already mentioned this. Stand back and look at how the car sets. Does it just look straight and square? Or does it strike you as setting a little off?
Posted on: 2008/2/23 12:10

TommyT-Bone RE:Shark education
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Horsepower/engine options are also something to look at in a C3 selection.
Posted on: 2008/2/23 14:18

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.