Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
280 user(s) are online (215 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  ALDL
Assembly Line Diagnostic Link

The cable you use to connect to a TECH 1 or a laptop computer for diagnosis and data logging purposes....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

CSS996 I once drove a '57 and a '62 on the same day...
Mega Guru
Central PA
3644 Posts

Does that count for anything?

A buddy of mine's father purchased these cars as projects probably decades ago. He got them running, but was killed in an experimental aircraft accident. I never met the father, but I did become friends with his son via a sportbike website. I'm guessing this was maybe in '99 or '00 when I was hanging out with this guy a lot.

This guy and I hung out at least twice a week for a few years, but when my wife and i had our third child, they just kinda stayed away. So we don't see each other anymore.

BUT his grandfather has a farm way out in the prairie, east of Pueblo. We went out there one day... My buddy opened the door of a dirty little barn, and HOLEE SHEEET! There was a red '57 in there! The car was probably 90% complete. Recent red paint, white coves, old school slotted mags.

He fired it up, and backed it out of the barn. Then asked if I wanted to take it for a spin. HELLZ YES!

So, I'm about 6'3" tall and was about 270 lbs at the time. It was a little tricky maneuvering my right leg around the huge steering wheel, down into the footwell. After that you had to commit to aiming your ass at the seat, much like a C4.

No power steering in this beast. No power anything, I don't think. It was like a big plastic go-kart with a V8 strapped to it's frame. Loud, raw and loads of fun. I put a couple miles on it, with my knee almost coming up over the door sill when I shifted before I got tired of the experience. So I spun the car around on a dirt road and headed back to the barn.

We parked the '57 and moved on to the next garage. This one had a '56 or '57 Chevy Nomad wagon inside. It was tan and looked to be in very good shape. We did not drive this one. Kind of a neat car, though. Great for getting groceries or speed parts for the Vette, ya know?

Anyway, door number three had a big ol' Buick of some sort. Seventies Vintage. Ugly, but reasonably well preserved. Moving on....

Door number four. A red '62 in decent condition. This was my friends baby. I drove that around as well. I must say that other than the similar dance around the steering wheel to get into the car, this one felt almost civilized. Very comfortable. I could easily have driven this car for many hours without fatigue. This car was also a manual, with a transplanted 327 and a crazy transmission out of a truck. The shift pattern was reverse of normal, and in 2-4th gear if you let off the throttle, it shifted into an overdrive for each of the three gears. It was not working very well during our drive, but it was still an experience I will never forget, and it further cemented in my brain that I would one day own a Corvette.

Kind of a silly story, but thanks for letting me share it.
Posted on: 2008/1/3 17:09

Notorious RE:I once drove a '57 and a '62 on the same day...
Elite Guru
Downbound train, NC
2184 Posts

So are you just gloating or what? I'd give my left nut for the '57 and the Nomad. I wouldn't kick the '62 out of bed either.
Posted on: 2008/1/18 3:15
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

CSS996 RE:I once drove a '57 and a '62 on the same day...
Mega Guru
Central PA
3644 Posts

Just sharing a pretty good story. They weren't my cars, and they weren't show cars. But I sure had a blast!
Posted on: 2008/1/18 3:29

Notorious RE:I once drove a '57 and a '62 on the same day...
Elite Guru
Downbound train, NC
2184 Posts

I hear ya'!
Posted on: 2008/1/18 3:34

patsfan05488 RE:I once drove a '57 and a '62 on the same day...
Guru
229 Posts

cool story and thanks for sharing
Posted on: 2008/1/18 3:38

Rex_Ruby RE:I once drove a '57 and a '62 on the same day...
Senior Guru
Philly Suburbs
180 Posts

Quote:
cool story and thanks for sharing

Posted on: 2008/2/19 13:53

TommyT-Bone RE:I once drove a '57 and a '62 on the same day...
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Quote:
I'd give my left nut for the '57 and the Nomad.

I'm surprised you still have a left nut as often as you've offered to give it away. Must not be too many people needing a left nut.

CSS996
I enjoy driving just about any car. That way I can form an opinion based on experience. Thanks for sharing yours.
Posted on: 2008/2/19 14:13

CSS996 Re: I once drove a '57 and a '62 on the same day...
Mega Guru
Central PA
3644 Posts

We rooted through all of our family photos last week while I was on vacation. My wife found several pictures she took of these cars before a parade they were driven in!

I was not there for the photos, and two of my kids are in most of them, but I will scan 'em and post up soon!

w00t!
Posted on: 2008/3/31 19:51

CSS996 Re: I once drove a '57 and a '62 on the same day...
Mega Guru
Central PA
3644 Posts

Photos, as promised.

Taken probably in '99 or '00. I was not there for this outing. My wife took the pix. The cars were going to be in a parade that afternoon.

Resized Image

Resized Image
Posted on: 2008/4/1 15:29

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.