Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
214 user(s) are online (119 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  TPI
Tuned Port Injection. A method of fuel injection, used on the early C4 Corvette L98 motor, (1985-1991). ...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

tjpreul GMC torsion bars
Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
1103 Posts

On the '96 GMC Jimmy I bought last year there is a "sway" in it. This only happens when a dip or lift is hit in the road. All front end components are new, with new shocks on all four. When I had it at the dealer they noticed this too, and confirmed all parts were good.

My only thought is one of the sway bars is sprung, or was replaced with the wrong one. Is there a stamp or code in them that this could be confirmed?
Posted on: 2012/2/22 4:16
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

BillH Re: GMC torsion bars
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Describe the sway, Tyler. Is it as you come out od a dip? Happen at all speeds?
Assuming it is in the front end, is it side to side, up and down?
Or is when only one front wheel hits a dip?

I ask cause depending on what's happening, some of that isn't controlled by a sway bar.

I've never seen a bar sprung unless it was in a pretty good wreck.
Posted on: 2012/2/22 14:11

tjpreul Re: GMC torsion bars
Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
1103 Posts

The speed is usually 30mph+. It happens when you come out of a dip. It feels like one side rebounds faster which then makes the back feel like it has a roll to it. The only suspension parts I have not replaced are the sway bars and the torsion brackets (under the center of vehicle). The title is clean and there are not any marks on the body or frame indicating a wreck.

I have ordered a steering stabilizer, but it did not have one from the factory. The mount on the frame is there, but not in the steering link arm.
Posted on: 2012/2/22 16:10

'92 auto, MSD, Banski, Taylor wires, SS lines, C5 rims, 3.07 gears, white gauges, seats from a '96.

Motor: Forged rotating assy, Probe pistons, CC valvetrain, AFR heads, Procharger P1SC

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

All i can think of to try is to disconnect at least one end of the swaybar, if it moves way out of position, something may be wrong. But I've never seen a bad sway bar.

If things are correct, the swaybar should bolt up (at each end) with very little movement of the ends to get them into the brackets (when the front wheels are at ride height). Swaybars are "neutral" until you load them in a corner (body roll). They do absolutely nothing in a straight line (they put zero load on the suspension when going straight).

I wonder if the problem is in the read and is showing up from load transfer when coming out of the dip.
Posted on: 2012/2/22 16:29

Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
1103 Posts

I have new sway bar bushings and end links. There were no issues bolting it back together.
Posted on: 2012/2/22 19:30

'92 auto, MSD, Banski, Taylor wires, SS lines, C5 rims, 3.07 gears, white gauges, seats from a '96.

Motor: Forged rotating assy, Probe pistons, CC valvetrain, AFR heads, Procharger P1SC

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

tjpreul wrote:
I have new sway bar bushings and end links. There were no issues bolting it back together.

Then there can't be anything wrong with the bar. And again if both front wheels are in the dip, the bar has no effect.
That would change if only one wheel was in the dip.

Wish I could ride in it.

I'd start checking things in the rear.
Posted on: 2012/2/22 21:58

Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
1103 Posts

Bill, it would help if I were to proof read my post. I meant the torsion bars.

One is adjusted about a turn or two tighter than the other, but the ride height is the same on both sides. I didn't know if there was a way to see if they were the same.
Posted on: 2012/2/23 2:38

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

tjpreul wrote:
Bill, it would help if I were to proof read my post. I meant the torsion bars.

One is adjusted about a turn or two tighter than the other, but the ride height is the same on both sides. I didn't know if there was a way to see if they were the same.

Ah, well.........chit happens.

Humm, that's tougher.
Maybe measure the top of the tire to the wheel well edge then, sit on the fender and measure it again (both sides), very unscientific but I can;t think of much else.

Load each side equally and check the deflection, but, I would think that plus/minus a half inch wouldn't mean much.
Posted on: 2012/2/23 2:50

Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
1103 Posts

I don't have a way to load them. The driver side is about 2 turns tighter, and the measurement was 3/4" lower. It was in the flattest spot I could find in my drive, but I want to do more measuring.
Posted on: 2012/2/23 14:25

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

tjpreul wrote:
I don't have a way to load them.

Have your buddy sit on the fender, that will push down on the suspension.
Posted on: 2012/2/23 14:48

Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
1103 Posts

The drivers side actually sits 3/4" lower. This is the side that the bolt is in further making more spring pressure. I tried to raise it up, but the closest is 1/2" so far. I have turned the bolt in another 2 1/2 turns. This has raised the drivers side 1/2", but lifting on the drivers side has raised the passenger 1/4"

This has helped a lot. There has to be an issue with the torsion bar, because the bolt is almost at bottom. The passenger side has 5-6 threads showing. Just like my truck does.
Posted on: 2012/2/26 3:12

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Interesting.
Things do wear out.
It does make sense that it's the driver's side.
Posted on: 2012/2/26 14:57

Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
1103 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:
Interesting.
Things do wear out.
It does make sense that it's the driver's side.

I have some more information. There is a rubber bump stop (some call them "overload") that are missing from the front. When installed there is maybe a 1/4" gap from the a-arm. I installed a new set and it took a lot of the issue away. However the bad ride quality is still there. We believe that since they were missing this is what allowed the torsion bars to be over worked. I purchased a used set that have 77k on them for $130/pr. New ones were $230/ea. I am installing them tomorrow night, so hopefully this solves the issue.
Posted on: 2012/5/2 3:20

bogus Re: GMC torsion bars
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

hope that fixes it!
Posted on: 2012/5/2 4:17

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
1103 Posts

The new bars are in. I didn't get to drive it as much as I would of liked, but could tell a huge difference in the ride. The old ones were very weak. It didn't take much pressure to release them. Putting the new ones in did a number on the puller (should of used a bigger one). It felt like it followed the road a lot better vs swaying and lumbering around. The brakes felt better too, since it was not dipping as much in the front.
Posted on: 2012/5/3 3:19

Matatk Re: GMC torsion bars
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Good fix! How did you find out the bump stops were missing? Was there any indication of where they mount?
Posted on: 2012/5/3 11:38

Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
1103 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:
Good fix! How did you find out the bump stops were missing? Was there any indication of where they mount?

The cups they were mounted in were still in place. A friend that helps me on my car works at the dealership. He is always giving me hell about my cars because they are older. He doesn't have to work on cars like this at the dealer.

Anyway when he was aligning it, and telling me to buy newer. I told him if he could find anything wrong that I would have it fixed. That was the only thing. He had also told me about the ride quality. Which I had been chasing for a while.
Posted on: 2012/5/3 15:44

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.