Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
316 user(s) are online (261 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Mirrors
Side mirrors: both should move in all directions.

A little whirring from the motor is normal....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

pappyfreebird taking vet to tech school
Senior Guru
1028 Posts

wrenches.they say my fan prolem is in the high pressure side of air con. dont ask me what they mean..but she does still have the sensor in the comp. and not in high line as they were recalled to do..again just what there instructor toll me ...so the verdict in a few weeks...have checked wires and none seem grounded...winter here so not driving it,,,times i have she runs good and temps stay 195 210 guessing she had a 195 stat and thats fan running all time and cold out...but air comp wont come on ..and they will do the work free labor i pay parts... i figure why not
Posted on: 2008/1/12 1:57
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

CentralCoaster RE:taking vet to tech school
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

There's two plugs on the a/c high pressure line, about 12" away from the evap coil (the one enclosed in plastic by the firewall).

The big one is your high pressure switch, it opens at high pressure, and if disconnected, will make the fan run. Pull it out and stick a jumper wire in them, see if it shuts the fan off.

The smaller one next to it is a high pressure cutout for the a/c. This will shut off the compressor, but doesn't effect the fan.

Then there's a 3rd plug, right at the evap, that is used to control the compressor during normal operation.

I feel like I've typed all this before.
Posted on: 2008/1/12 3:24

C4DERF RE:taking vet to tech school
Senior Guru
Home of the Masters; well Grovetown is close
332 Posts

CentralCoaster do you have this in a write-up with photos? If you do would you post it here please?
Posted on: 2008/1/12 13:31

[IMG]http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s150/c4derf/CasualCorvettes-SonicAug07011.jpg[/IMG]

MK 82 RE:taking vet to tech school
Senior Guru
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
439 Posts

I don't have a clue as to what he asked!
Posted on: 2008/1/12 15:54

pappyfreebird RE:taking vet to tech school
Senior Guru
1028 Posts

i didnt ask a ? drop t ... i was giving a pappy style update on what im doin about the fan running...but cc just added a new twist i might hafta check out before i let the auto class have it...thanks cc ..also i feel as c4d pix be great...middle of winter so she sits coverd ...i havent don much to it,,toooo cold...
Posted on: 2008/1/12 16:02

CFI-EFI RE:taking vet to tech school
Senior Guru
Top of Utah
372 Posts

It isn't easy to tell if there was a question in that mess or not. What is it that was recalled? The 1984 for fan problems? CentralCoaster has the right information for the wrong car. The A/C switch CC speaks of informs the ECM in later cars that the A/C is on. Then the ECM turns on the fan. In the 1984, the ECM plays NO part in the fan operation. The 1984 fan works in a similar manner as the aux fan on the 1985 through 1989 cars. I have already posted the cause and the cure for this fan that won't shut off.

RACE ON!!!
Posted on: 2008/1/12 18:09

Senior Guru
1028 Posts

well please cfi ...post the answer again! cause if i had the answer ..i wouldnt have a problem with it...thank you pappy

ps read somewhere that 84 had a recall on the fan switch in the compressor...the recall relocted the switch to the high pressure line...mine must have slipped thru because the only swtich in high line side is right in the compressor...thats why having the ac boys look at her ...they kin take the compressor aprat if need be..(am told has to come apart to replace that switch) just repeating stuff been told ...if i knew fer sure i wouldnt be askin id be fixing...the sensor between 6n8 is fine n the relays fine and cant find a grouned wire... only other fan switch is the one in compressor...which i cant take apart... so if see an error in my ways (besides my speelin) anybody feel free to fill me in...like said i aint spent alot of time its to cold...but have checked out all your ideas offerd n they been preciated
Posted on: 2008/1/13 17:13

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Quote:
It isn't easy to tell if there was a question in that mess or not. What is it that was recalled? The 1984 for fan problems? CentralCoaster has the right information for the wrong car. The A/C switch CC speaks of informs the ECM in later cars that the A/C is on. Then the ECM turns on the fan. In the 1984, the ECM plays NO part in the fan operation. The 1984 fan works in a similar manner as the aux fan on the 1985 through 1989 cars. I have already posted the cause and the cure for this fan that won't shut off.

RACE ON!!!

Yes, you are correct. Ignore my post it doesn't apply to 84s apparently.
Posted on: 2008/1/14 2:58

Senior Guru
Top of Utah
372 Posts

Quote:
well please cfi ...post the answer again! cause if i had the answer ..i wouldnt have a problem with it...thank you pappy
You have been given the answer. I don't know why you don't have it. I will retype and repeat the answer if you will retype your last post in proper English. That includes capital letters, legitimate English language words, spelling, grammar, punctuation and spacing. I am not going to grade you, but I expect an honest attempt. Deal?

RACE ON!!!
Posted on: 2008/1/15 2:14

MK 82 Re: taking vet to tech school
Senior Guru
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
439 Posts

Quote:
Wrenches. They say my fan problem is in the high pressure side of the air conditioner. Dont ask me what they mean..but she does still have the sensor in the compressor and not in the high line as they were recalled to do. Again, this is just what their instructor told me. So, the verdict in a few weeks. I have checked the wires and none seem grounded. It is winter here so I am not driving it. The times i have she runs good and temps stay 195 to 210. I am guessing she had a 195 stat and thats why the fan is running all the time and cold out...but air comp wont come on ..and they will do the work for free labor. I pay parts... i figure why not

Fixed it best I could.
Posted on: 2008/1/15 20:56

Senior Guru
1028 Posts

thank you drop t brutha! hey there its already done cf ... now why go and spoil all his hard work decifering my babble... i be waiting in anticiapation for the fix sir!
Posted on: 2008/1/16 1:28

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

You have awfully high expectations of others, considering...
Posted on: 2008/1/16 2:03

Senior Guru
1028 Posts

gimme a break huh ..ill cut my hair cause ya dont like hippys to ok! come on git off me awready
Posted on: 2008/1/16 2:05

Danspeed1 RE:taking vet to tech school
Elite Guru
Mooresville, North Carolina
1121 Posts

No Child Left Behind Act - Working really well
Posted on: 2008/1/16 4:10
1996 Ford Explorer
2009 Cadillac CTS-v

Senior Guru
1028 Posts

dumb time to ask , but fan wires look like stock set up...any easy way to tell if wired direct ..am still pretty certain it didnt run all the time when got it...but havent played with it much either
Posted on: 2008/1/16 14:16

CasetheCorvetteman RE:taking vet to tech school
Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

Yeah look for an extra source connected to the fan relay, that will give it away usually.
Posted on: 2008/1/16 14:18

Senior Guru
1028 Posts

thanks case....she seems to be the stock 4 wires (if remember right) ones hot all time and ones (green i think)hot with key on other two are nothing
Posted on: 2008/1/16 16:23

CFI-EFI Re: taking vet to tech school
Senior Guru
Top of Utah
372 Posts

Quote:

Fixed it best I could.
You did a fine job, Drop topCE, Pappyfreebird should appreciate that effort, but you both miss the point. I was able to fight through his post to get his meaning, but the point is that I shouldn't have to fight. He should have the decency and the courtesy to write in a proper, understandable manner, especially whan he is asking for help from others. Beside asking for the answer to his problem, he shouldn't also burden us the the job of trying to interpret gibberish. Apparently, you didn't see the first post of his that I saw on this subject. I, eventually, with help in decoding the garbage he posted, correctly answered his question. I will gladly repeat it, if he will show the courtesy of presenting that post I referred to, in proper English.

RACE ON!!!
Posted on: 2008/1/16 16:23

Senior Guru
1028 Posts

i git your point cf ...you are telling me how i must act or you wont help...ive seen your attitude and comments of superiority to others as well...not trying to give you crap either...i come from a place where we help you if we can...i dont make someone beg or change or belittle them... ive tried to be nice n thankful etc ...point if you dont want to help people dont help...dont keep telling them how they should act etc...i thought tech sites were to help people ...ones im on we enjoy bsn n helping...weather called it wrong name etc we dont belittle or puff up we simply bs n help n enjoy

and will say again for the most part i seem to get along n relate to most here...then a comment pops in against me n bang here we go again...dont help me then dude..and dont keep jumpng in and saying hey i offerd the answer..if he does it my way ill answer him again...just stay out of it then and let the ones that want to help n not critisize help!!!
Posted on: 2008/1/16 17:14

Senior Guru
Top of Utah
372 Posts

Quote:
i git your point cf ...you are telling me how i must act or you wont help...
That is absolutely wrong. You don't "git" (sic) my point. I have already helped. I have given you the answer. First you wanted a question answered. Then you presented it in language (?) that required a committee to figure out what was you were asking. After conferring on translating the gibberish that was the question, I answered it. Now you want the answer repeated? What is your point in writing like a back woods third grader? Have you no regard for those from whom you seek assistance?

RACE ON!!!
Posted on: 2008/1/16 19:28

Senior Guru
1028 Posts

simply dont respond to my questions cfi ... ok!!! dont read em it wont bother you ok... this is what i keep talking about who the L do you think you are...the only answer ive deciferd out of you givin me grief... is it must be the compressor switch...and and ive said im told if thats what it is ill let the tech boys do it...cuase am told ya cant replace it without taking compressor apart...anyway i dont come here to rile you or anybody and i dont expect ot be riled either... so JUST LEAVE ME OUT OF YOUR LIL WORLD OK! theres a whole row of capitals dude... hows that...now the rest of you dont need to come to his rescue or get riled up either.. i simply come to bs and learn a few tips,.thanks for understanding
Posted on: 2008/1/16 20:10

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

pappy,

You asked CFI for help a second time, apparently after he already answered your question. I don't think CFI is butting in so much as he is responding to you addressing him (your last post for example). But you can't force people to help you. I think all you're going to get out of him at this point is criticism of your ability to communicate, so you might as well cut your losses with this thread, or I'll do it for you.

I don't care whether or not CFI or you are in the wrong. But I do care that there's more people on this forum besides the two of you, and both of you should respect that.

pappy, if you wish to give this topic a 2nd try with other people besides CFI, I will gladly lock this one and throw the useful posts into a new thread.
Posted on: 2008/1/17 0:03

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

pappy, these are probably the posts CFI was referring to.

Quote:
Sounds like the fan switch on the passenger cylinder head is bad like Scooter said, or the wire from it is grounded/shorted out. Basically, unplug the fan switch, and see if the fan stops running. If it doesn't, the wire from it, to the relay, is shorted to ground. The switch is mounted between number 6 and 8 spark plugs.

Quote:
there is a fan switch in your pass side head try changing this to see if that works. before you do that take a look at the wiring that goes to the fan mayby someone re routed the wires so that it is on at all times.

Quote:
ifn da fun stps wid da ac iff wan yous unpluggin da pessu sutch dats da tubl.

EDIT: 1st and 2nd posts were not CFI-EFI, just posts he agreed to in that thread.
Posted on: 2008/1/17 0:10

Senior Guru
Top of Utah
372 Posts

Quote:
Sounds like the fan switch on the passenger cylinder head is bad like Scooter said, or the wire from it is grounded/shorted out. Basically, unplug the fan switch, and see if the fan stops running. If it doesn't, the wire from it, to the relay, is shorted to ground. The switch is mounted between number 6 and 8 spark plugs.

Quote:
there is a fan switch in your pass side head try changing this to see if that works. before you do that take a look at the wiring that goes to the fan mayby someone re routed the wires so that it is on at all times.

Quote:
ifn da fun stps wid da ac iff wan yous unpluggin da pessu sutch dats da tubl.
I hope that second quote really wasn't of me. Normally I don't advise replacing ANYTHING without testing it or verifying it has failed. Although the first quote contains a mistake, I do take credit for numbers 1 and 3.

RACE ON!!!
Posted on: 2008/1/17 0:37

Senior Guru
1028 Posts

thanks cc... i think theres good stuff there ...ive checked all those things thats why id asked what the answer is... in this post i was stating the tech school offerd to trouble shoot i said great..so was sayin thats were its going (n did today) cancel anything thats poor for the group dude ... i will post what they find...sarry fer any hassels people...but i wont bend over ...im a little lost on the help issue...i thought we were here to help...not if you do what i say ill help,, fergit it ...biggest curiosity is where did you pull those answers so clearly.. hey i know bog said keep it simple for tech reasons ... i know i rattle after my question so delete the whole shebang er edit to make it useful...thanks for puttin up with me...
ps just for the record look at post,, id commented goin to tech boys...youed added somethings to look at...drop t said what question...i replied non... just sayuin where its (the car) going...then post 6 cfi pops in with ive givin the answer...thats when i said ok what is it (after drop t kindly redid my babble) just trying to make my point ...now delete the mess thats all bs n keep the tech ...thatd be my opinion on our harley boards...fact wed mostly comment on leave the guy alone if dont understand dont answer dont stir it for the rest...thanks again cc
Posted on: 2008/1/17 1:14

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

OK, I hear you loud and clear, now drop it already! You don't get the last word here.
Posted on: 2008/1/17 2:20

crash RE:taking vet to tech school
Guru
WRIGHT CITY MO 63390
977 Posts

now-now gang everybody go to their respective time out spots and chill out :thumbright:
Posted on: 2008/1/17 2:30

Senior Guru
1028 Posts

um dare i speak lol ... sarry cc...but did want to update after all the bs n help ...it is the aircompressor sensor as youve all helped me determine...they confirmed it too,,,so now its where it needs to be so they can recover the r12 n put in new sensor...prolly going to switch to 134 now too...thanks everyone..
Posted on: 2008/1/17 18:09

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Thanks for the update!

I ended up staying with R12 to keep it simple and because I had easy access to it. At the very least you need to put in a new accumulator and orifice tube. I'm not sure how they purge all the oil from the R12 system.
Posted on: 2008/1/17 19:30

Senior Guru
1028 Posts

yes accumulator was mentioned...how they flush oil n switch i dont know thats why i jumped on the offer of pay for parts labor free ...
Posted on: 2008/1/17 20:15

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.