Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
305 user(s) are online (235 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Coil over
The term coil over means having a coil spring coaxial with the shock absorber. In terms of a Corvette, it replaces the leaf spring.

[IMG]http:/...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
(1) 2 »
 Register To Post

istter1 howe hydraulic bearing
Elite Guru
Bakersfield Ca
2336 Posts

In this video watch the master cylinder with a hose attached to the resevior and the master cylinder. Is there a kit for this or can you just hook up a tube and clamps and make your own. I am installing a 3/4" master cylinder that sits at a different angle then stock. Hate to drill if I dont have to make new mounts.

http://youtu.be/F0MvIBxhbio
Posted on: 2012/10/18 4:46

istter1 Re: howe hydraulic bearing
Elite Guru
Bakersfield Ca
2336 Posts

Well here is what want picked it up at the Drag races at Famosa last weekend.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/WIL-260-7577
Posted on: 2012/10/23 0:55

bogus Re: howe hydraulic bearing
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

cool! Where will you mount it?

I might do something like that myself. I get really tired of removing the engine controller to refill the clutch fluid...
Posted on: 2012/10/23 1:54

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Matatk Re: howe hydraulic bearing
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

I unfortunately have no experience with the manual trans Vette, but I've read a lot of guys complaining about the mc. Hopefully this is a viable solution. Keep us posted.
Posted on: 2012/10/23 17:53

Elite Guru
Bakersfield Ca
2336 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:
I unfortunately have no experience with the manual trans Vette, but I've read a lot of guys complaining about the mc. Hopefully this is a viable solution. Keep us posted.

will send pictures after it is installed . waiting on transmission.
Posted on: 2012/10/24 2:57

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Matthew - the problem isn't with the master, it was with the slave... those damned things sucked...

For the longest time, a new GM unit would last all of 2 months, and people were replacing them by the bucket full. I don't remember who it was, but one guy went through FOUR in under a year.

the problem? There were 2...

1. They came pre-bled with the master and slave and hose. They use brake fluid, its hydroscopic. They sat on the shelf and rusted a bit on the inside, causing damage to the seal.

2. but the REAL problem was that someone was putting the seals in BACKWARDS. This was finally found by CentralCoaster, IIRC.

The slave I have is from NAPA. Made in Taiwan. It's a one piece cast body and hasn't leaked a drop in 3 years. Nada. Zilch. That's about 13k miles. VERY good quality part.

The problem with the master is just reaching the bitch... remove the ECM, fight with the cap, add fluid which always dumps on the chassis... a real pain in the ass.
Posted on: 2012/10/24 3:27

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Thanks for clearing that up!
Posted on: 2012/10/24 4:01

Elite Guru
Bakersfield Ca
2336 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
Matthew - the problem isn't with the master, it was with the slave... those damned things sucked...

For the longest time, a new GM unit would last all of 2 months, and people were replacing them by the bucket full. I don't remember who it was, but one guy went through FOUR in under a year.

the problem? There were 2...

1. They came pre-bled with the master and slave and hose. They use brake fluid, its hydroscopic. They sat on the shelf and rusted a bit on the inside, causing damage to the seal.

2. but the REAL problem was that someone was putting the seals in BACKWARDS. This was finally found by CentralCoaster, IIRC.

The slave I have is from NAPA. Made in Taiwan. It's a one piece cast body and hasn't leaked a drop in 3 years. Nada. Zilch. That's about 13k miles. VERY good quality part.

The problem with the master is just reaching the bitch... remove the ECM, fight with the cap, add fluid which always dumps on the chassis... a real pain in the ass.

The four was me and that is why I am trying this option.
hopefully this works and I don't kreep replacing slaves
Posted on: 2012/10/24 21:46

CentralCoaster Re: howe hydraulic bearing
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

I think you're doing it the hard way.

I've had no issues with the slave on my car now for the past few years. It's cast iron with a steel piston. It's PBR branded (but not made by pbr?, made in china). I got it at carquest and it was a little pricey.

Resized Image

I've had issue with the delco slaves corroding and pitting on the surface of the steel slave housing. It would ruin the sealing surface, and then past half clutch travel, the fluid would just ooze out and not move the piston and clutch fork any further. I recall it was due to an aluminum piston in a thin steel cylinder, but honestly it's been awhile.

I was never comfortable with trying the Howe bearing setup, and when I did my research on it, it had some fitment and travel questions that I couldn't take a risk on. Even LD85 I think who posted most about it wouldn't recommend it to me.

Youd have to search my old posts either here or CF because I can't remember. I do remember feeling like I was the first to even try and answer the questions, and it was frustrating.
Posted on: 2012/10/25 16:42

Elite Guru
Bakersfield Ca
2336 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
I think you're doing it the hard way.

I've had no issues with the slave on my car now for the past few years. It's cast iron with a steel piston. It's PBR branded (but not made by pbr?, made in china). I got it at carquest and it was a little pricey.

Resized Image

I've had issue with the delco slaves corroding and pitting on the surface of the steel slave housing. It would ruin the sealing surface, and then past half clutch travel, the fluid would just ooze out and not move the piston and clutch fork any further. I recall it was due to an aluminum piston in a thin steel cylinder, but honestly it's been awhile.

I was never comfortable with trying the Howe bearing setup, and when I did my research on it, it had some fitment and travel questions that I couldn't take a risk on. Even LD85 I think who posted most about it wouldn't recommend it to me.

Youd have to search my old posts either here or CF because I can't remember. I do remember feeling like I was the first to even try and answer the questions, and it was frustrating.

It will be in with the 3/4" master cylinder and remote resivor. It fits perfect on the Keisler tko 600. I will let you all know I hope by the end of the week. The Keisler 600 had their version for over $500 I may be high. They weren't sure if it would work on the Corvette.

http://www.keislerauto.com/components ... 673782d7822dccb10ae56.jpg

It feels like it will be a no brainer. Will know if I am the no brainer just as soon.
Posted on: 2012/11/5 1:20

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

that is the same slave I have, but mine was branded NAPA and made in Taiwan. It was about $100 and has been EXCELLENT.

Oh, CC, good to see you back, brah!
Posted on: 2012/11/8 3:07

Elite Guru
Bakersfield Ca
2336 Posts

The Howe was to tight
One of the guys at the shop foung this article which is exactly what I am doing
http://www.corvettefever.com/techarti ... 600_the_shift_is_on_tech/

1364 GENERAL MOTORS 1955-2010 V8 ; TREMEC 5 SPEEDS TKO500/600, 3550 & TKO, 2057,1-1/8X26 Input

Ordered tonight from Summit should be here wen/ different style bolts to transmission

http://www.corvettefever.com/techarti ... _is_on_tech/photo_07.html
Posted on: 2012/11/13 6:42

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Hopefully that solves the issue!
Posted on: 2012/11/13 12:39

Elite Guru
Bakersfield Ca
2336 Posts

I hope so lol
Posted on: 2012/11/13 13:51

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Well heck with the TKO why not just stick with the stock 84-88 master and slave setup and bellhousing? It should all bolt right up.

I don't know anyone using the hydraulic throwout on a C4, but a few that have tried. I think the LS1 camaros use a setup like that.

I think I was confusing the Howe with the McLeod. I talked to him personally over the phone about everything, the throw, tolerances, etc, and he didn't feel confident enough to sell it to me.

Damnit, I used to have a drawing I made with all the measurements of the clutch assembly and clearances but I can't find it.
Posted on: 2012/11/14 7:34
Edited by CentralCoaster on 2012/11/14 8:23:23

Elite Guru
Bakersfield Ca
2336 Posts

did you read this articlefrom corvette fever where they did what I am doing now..In 2 years we have replaced the slave at least 6 times master because of alignment problems at the pedel and alignment from the slave and the pickle fork. Will see if this works. Read the page on C4 my exact setup

http://www.corvettefever.com/techarti ... 600_the_shift_is_on_tech/
Posted on: 2012/11/14 16:27

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

RAM makes a full on ZF6 conversion kit for a clutch with a hydraulic throw out. Considering the lack of QC of the bearings, this may not be a bad option.

Posted on: 2012/11/14 19:08

LD85 Re: howe hydraulic bearing
Master Guru
Indianapolis, Indiana
784 Posts

Unless you can stop the piston from popping off, I don't recommend it, the Slip On TOB that is,,, , the McLeod version is the best because it has an internal limiter.

I put a bolt into the tranny that limited the stroke of the piston and it still popped off.

I spent no less than 4-5 weeks trying to make it all work on my ZF and had it on my TKO 600 and then finally gave up,, which is not like me, cause generally, I don't know how to quit,

BUT, maybe they have a remedy (?)

Posted on: 2012/11/14 19:47
Edited by LD85 on 2012/11/14 20:33:30

Elite Guru
Bakersfield Ca
2336 Posts

Will let you know how it works.
Used them on my militer jeep conversions when installing a v8 had little problems. (50-60 models from advanced adapters stuff swing pedals and all)

http://www.corvettefever.com/techarti ... _is_on_tech/photo_07.html
Posted on: 2012/11/14 23:46

Elite Guru
Bakersfield Ca
2336 Posts

about bearing AND SEA show ANDY

http://www.mcleodtv.com/featured_landing.php?reset=true

istalation instructions and assembly disambled

http://www.mcleodracing.com/content/pdf5497.pdf

s this the same style you installed prior? on your vet
By any chance when you pushed the pedal was it over extended the pedal ram. I was told this would blow seals and in the old models overextend the piston if the clearence wasn't a good fit.

Posted on: 2012/11/15 1:07
Edited by istter1 on 2012/11/15 1:25:38

Master Guru
Indianapolis, Indiana
784 Posts

I spoke with Red way back and I think they stopped selling the bolt on TOB

In "theory" the stroke of your clutch pedal can only displace X volume of fluid, which will fill the TOB and move the piston forward and disengage the clutch.

I used a clutch pedal stroke adjuster that I made and still have, to limit the pedal stroke, but if I depressed the pedal half way, then let up 1/4 of the way, and re-pressed the pedal, the piston would pop off. I also bought a Wilwood Master cylinder and made a Firewall spacer to make the Wilwood work

After driving the car for months it became too much of a nuisance, I had bought two Howe TOB's, and one RAM "turnkey" kit, that did not work, and one McLeod bolt on TOB which was for the ZF, the McLeod for the ZF would not work due to bell housing thickness variances, all in all I made Bell Housing shims, and then bought longer BH dowels and it went on and on

If you have a TKO and you can buy a slip on with a built in stroke limiter, then I would love to see it work, I am positive it can me made to work, one way or another.
Posted on: 2012/11/15 2:16

Elite Guru
Bakersfield Ca
2336 Posts

[quote]
LD85 wrote:
I spoke with Red way back and I think they stopped selling the bolt on TOB

In "theory" the stroke of your clutch pedal can only displace X volume of fluid, which will fill the TOB and move the piston forward and disengage the clutch.

I used a clutch pedal stroke adjuster that I made and still have, to limit the pedal stroke, but if I depressed the pedal half way, then let up 1/4 of the way, and re-pressed the pedal, the piston would pop off. I also bought a Wilwood Master cylinder and made a Firewall spacer to make the Wilwood work

After driving the car for months it became too much of a nuisance, I had bought two Howe TOB's, and one RAM "turnkey" kit, that did not work, and one McLeod bolt on TOB which was for the ZF, the McLeod for the ZF would not work due to bell housing thickness variances, all in all I made Bell Housing shims, and then bought longer BH dowels and it went on and on

If you have a TKO and you can buy a slip on with a built in stroke limiter, then I would love to see it work, I am positive it can me made to work, one way or another.[/quote

Wow pain in the butt. They have made big changes so all that work you went through does not happen.

I will see if they are telling me the truth soon.They said basicly what you said was correct but now if you send the measurements to them and u are using a generation 1 as i am they will make sure you have the piston that has the correct legnts stroke.]
Posted on: 2012/11/15 15:23

Elite Guru
Bakersfield Ca
2336 Posts

John got the TOB installed and it is progressing. Hope to fire her up sat.

Attach file:

jpg  tr1.jpg (71.88 KB)
5144_50a5ac57d2004.jpg 612X816 px

jpg  tran.jpg (88.10 KB)
5144_50a5ac704850e.jpg 612X816 px

jpg  tra.jpg (89.39 KB)
5144_50a5ac8eade47.jpg 612X816 px
Posted on: 2012/11/16 3:02

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Ok, but I still don't get why not use a 84-88 slave. They are reliable, and have zero issues. And the throwout bearings on them don't break.
Posted on: 2012/11/16 21:24

Elite Guru
Bakersfield Ca
2336 Posts

I will say it again in the two years I have owned this vet we have replaces 5-6 slaves all the lines several times master cylinder from contimanation 2 times at least and the one master cylinder because the linkage from the pedal bushing failed and bent the push rod. For some reason the rod from the slave pushes at an incorrect angel when it wants to as it contacts the pickle fork. This has destroyed clutches , pressure plates and lines.

The owner before me had many more problems and the dealer keep replacing the parts we are talking about. So there is a problem somewhere and none of us can find it. At least 6-7 people on this site have made suggestions tied all same results after about 3 months. This vet has been to JD repair.They replaced the bellhousing and the picklefork, installe a new clutch,lines,clutch master cylinder and slave lasted about 4 months. Same results and JD recomended using the TO bearing saying. Prior owner did this. Have all the receits. So who bought it next Me. LOL
http://www.jdcorvette.com/Service/index.cfm

So the change. So after spending lots of dollars on something that is not working and should be we are trying something else besides selling the 87.
Posted on: 2012/11/17 2:26

Master Guru
Indianapolis, Indiana
784 Posts

I'm pulling for you dude! the hydraulic TOB feel is amazing, and you will never want to go back to a slave style
Posted on: 2012/11/18 1:13

Elite Guru
Bakersfield Ca
2336 Posts

Quote:

LD85 wrote:
I'm pulling for you dude! the hydraulic TOB feel is amazing, and you will never want to go back to a slave style

Funny I am praying this works to the tko 600 is an awsome transmission. The Keisler tremec transmission shifts so smooth and a great range of gears. With the 383 it should be a good ride
Posted on: 2012/11/18 2:36

Elite Guru
Bakersfield Ca
2336 Posts

Well the Master cylinder I bought from summit was to long to fit. I am going to use the stock 6.88 in stead of the recomended 3/4". Others have used the stock and had no problem.So far the problem is abdating the metric fittings to the sae on the lines. We needed a 7/16 90 and no one had one last night. One of the guys at the shop runs Nitris in his race car and has fittings we hope he can find a 90. This besides putting a few things on and breaking in the cam are are only hold uo.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mcl-1364/overview/
Posted on: 2012/11/24 18:40

Master Guru
Indianapolis, Indiana
784 Posts

I bought a Wilwood Master and made a spacer that went between the firewall and Wilwood, I can give you the spacer if you want it.

Resized Image

Resized Image

http://www.wilwood.com/MasterCylinder ... mpact%20Master%20Cylinder

Resized Image
Posted on: 2012/11/24 23:01

Elite Guru
Bakersfield Ca
2336 Posts

Quote:

LD85 wrote:
I bought a Wilwood Master and made a spacer that went between the firewall and Wilwood, I can give you the spacer if you want it.

Resized Image

Resized Image

http://www.wilwood.com/MasterCylinder ... mpact%20Master%20Cylinder

Resized Image

Pm sent
Posted on: 2012/11/25 1:06

Elite Guru
Bakersfield Ca
2336 Posts

ordered masterCylinder last night
Posted on: 2012/11/25 15:42

Master Guru
Indianapolis, Indiana
784 Posts

I will mail it USPS priority mail Monday so you will have it THursday.. its nothing fancy but it works perfectly
Posted on: 2012/11/25 19:27

Elite Guru
Bakersfield Ca
2336 Posts

Quote:

LD85 wrote:
I will mail it USPS priority mail Monday so you will have it THursday.. its nothing fancy but it works perfectly

Can't thank you enought

if you need something let me know
Posted on: 2012/11/25 20:54

Master Guru
Indianapolis, Indiana
784 Posts

It went into the USPS mail this morning, should arrive Thursday
Posted on: 2012/11/26 13:02

Elite Guru
Bakersfield Ca
2336 Posts

Cool master cylinder should be in about that same time

Thanks again
Posted on: 2012/11/27 1:04

Master Guru
Indianapolis, Indiana
784 Posts

If I recall, you might have to shorten the threaded male Wilwood rod a fuzz to get the stock female on and still have the clutch pedal at the right height, just something to look at. I think i shortened my stock female coupe @ 1/2", its been a while my memory is foggy on that
Posted on: 2012/11/27 11:56

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

My bad, I thought all along you were having issues with the ZF6 hardware, not the 4+3 stuff. What year is your car btw?
Posted on: 2012/11/27 19:22

Master Guru
Indianapolis, Indiana
784 Posts

If you think you need a clutch pedal travel stop, I have that too.

Resized Image
Resized Image
Posted on: 2012/11/29 12:35

Elite Guru
Bakersfield Ca
2336 Posts

You are 1 sharp cookie on this topic. Thanks for the help on my 87 so far. We won't have a chance to work on her until this weekend. Busy with work. Being a special education teacher that teaches others is becoming a pain in the butt time wise.
Posted on: 2012/11/29 15:48

Master Guru
Indianapolis, Indiana
784 Posts

Its more about having access to metal working stuff, anything can be made with teh right equipment, time and money :-)

Good luck!
Posted on: 2012/11/29 16:34

Elite Guru
Bakersfield Ca
2336 Posts

I know I miss teaching the shop classes.
Posted on: 2012/11/29 20:37

Elite Guru
Bakersfield Ca
2336 Posts

Well it is on and it works great. We just fired up the new 383 stroker and are breaking in the cam. Belt squeaking and a few other problems and we will test drive it tomorrow.Clutch feels great and is engaging where it should be Fingers crossed.
Posted on: 2012/11/30 1:46

Master Guru
Indianapolis, Indiana
784 Posts

You rock dude, I hope it works !

Just a thought, I put a long SS brake line on the bleed side of the Howe, then i pout a speed bleeder on it, and it would allow me to bleed the Howe or put fresh fluid in whenever I wanted, except I only had my Howe on for 2-3 weeks

Also, tonight I found the Wilwood Clutch Master in the box, I forgot I had it. I like it much better than the stock masters, I might put it back on some day
Posted on: 2012/11/30 23:14

Elite Guru
Bakersfield Ca
2336 Posts

Quote:

LD85 wrote:
You rock dude, I hope it works !

Just a thought, I put a long SS brake line on the bleed side of the Howe, the Howe or put fresh fluid in whenever I wanted, except I only had my Howe on for 2-3 weeks

Also, tonight I found the Wilwood Clutch Master in the box, I forgot I had it. I like it much better than the stock masters, I might put it back on some day

I am using the McLoud blot on. It fit perfit and hope and pray it keeps working. The owe we bought didn't fit and instead of ordering the other one we put in the McLoud
(then i pout a speed bleeder on it, and it would allow me to bleed)we still have her on the racks might try this.
Wilwood Clutch Master allowes you to adjust the stroke where the stock is fixed. ade it eaiser for us

http://www.mcleodracing.com/content/pdf5497.pdf
Posted on: 2012/12/2 5:38

Master Guru
Indianapolis, Indiana
784 Posts

I can tell by reading the info, does the McLeod have a travel limiter to prevent it from popping off?
Posted on: 2012/12/3 14:09

Elite Guru
Bakersfield Ca
2336 Posts

Quote:

LD85 wrote:
I can tell by reading the info, does the McLeod have a travel limiter to prevent it from popping off?

It does have a travel limiter.Tat is the good and bad part.as it gets older it does not extend farther.The do hace like howe but you can dial it in to fit and it will adjust. see video in eairler.

It is up and running and works great. We are dealing with a minor remain seal leak 1 piece at over 3000 rpm. We are hoping it will seal as it was installed correctly and may just take a little time to break in on this new 383 stroker. if not we will just yank the transmission again,
Posted on: 2012/12/3 15:46

Elite Guru
Bakersfield Ca
2336 Posts

Quote:

istter1 wrote:
Quote:

LD85 wrote:

It does have a travel limiter.That is the good and bad part.as it gets older it does not extend farther.you can dial it in to fit and it will adjust. see video in eairler.

It is up and running and works great. We are dealing with a minor remain seal leak 1 piece at over 3000 rpm. We are hoping it will seal as it was installed correctly and may just take a little time to break in on this new 383 stroker. if not we will just yank the transmission again,

I have vet at home love the sound of it. Everything works great. The throwout bearing works great everything shifts great. Lots of power and the bad part is my uncle died and this friday will be a big Catholic funeral (x policemen) will have police escorte all that stuff. I won't be able to take a run to see about gas millege on the road for a week or so.
Larry can't thank you enough. That mounting adapter works great.Love the feel of the hydrolic throw bearing so smooth.
Posted on: 2012/12/4 5:23

Elite Guru
Bakersfield Ca
2336 Posts

Up date on this the McLoud blot on feels great and so far works great about 1000 miles on it to date.
Posted on: 2013/1/2 6:01

Master Guru
Indianapolis, Indiana
784 Posts

Congrats, I hope it all goes well, I never used the McLeod Bolt ON on a TKO, if it work well, I might go that route as well.
Posted on: 2013/1/3 21:27

Elite Guru
Bakersfield Ca
2336 Posts

Quote:

LD85 wrote:
Congrats, I hope it all goes well, I never used the McLeod Bolt ON on a TKO, if it work well, I might go that route as well.

I will update in about 5000 miles if there are no problems

thanks for all the help
Posted on: 2013/1/4 3:45

(1) 2 »
You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.