Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
243 user(s) are online (203 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  ALDL
Assembly Line Diagnostic Link

The cable you use to connect to a TECH 1 or a laptop computer for diagnosis and data logging purposes....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

84Xfire A picture is worth 1000 words A.K.A. Vacuum problems
Guru Newb
Lake Havasu City, AZ
44 Posts

I hope one of the "Guru's" on here can help me sort this mess out.

I'm trying to find out why I've never had A/C from the vents, and it really is a mess under the hood. The photo might help explain better just what I'm dealing with.

The upper left circle is the first 2 connections for vacuum; the one furthest back is going to the PVC valve and I think that's right, execpt there should be 2 connections there instead of one (the part that should be there looks like the letter "F" for lack of a better description). The second connection is for the brake booster; that part is fine.

Here's where it gets weird....

The accumulator(ball) is connected to the cruise servo; that's all (cruise hasn't worked in a long time and I wasn't too concerned about it as I don't use it). there's a "tee" by the bottom of the ball with the short end capped off (QUESTION: wouldn't that capped off part of the tee be going tword a vacuum source like that "F" adapter in the upper manifold?).

Now, to the passengers side. The split loom that carries the pressure cycling connector and the water control valve vacuum line (1/8" black tube) has another 1/8" black tube coming up that's in the lower circle. I found it when I changed the plugs and wires and I pulled it out for clarity; I have no clue where it goes. Possibly from the missing check valve it's suppost to have on the passengers side and it doesn't show in the FSM or the suppliment, so my next QUESTION: where would it go and where would it draw from a source?

I do know that the crankcase vent on the valve cover should be hooked to the bottom of the air cleaner, so onto a third QUESTION: what is the forward connection supposed to be connected to?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts on this...

Attach file:

jpg  vacuum.jpg (0.00 KB)

Posted on: 2013/5/24 3:21
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Schrade Re: A picture is worth 1000 words A.K.A. Vacuum problems
Elite Guru
eastern NC / e-i-e-i-o
1909 Posts

Bob? That you? (Schrade @ CAC boards)...

Posted on: 2013/5/24 6:17

Resized Image

vetteoz Re: A picture is worth 1000 words A.K.A. Vacuum problems
Senior Guru
453 Posts

Quote:

84Xfire wrote:
The accumulator(ball) is connected to the cruise servo; that's all

If the CFI is setup the same as the later cars then a T at the CC should go to a one way valve then to intake vac source
That same valve serves to split the vac to the HVAC inside and the CC / vac ball in the engine bay

Unfortunately that system is not shown in this CFI vac diagram

Resized Image
Posted on: 2013/5/24 6:41

84Xfire Re: A picture is worth 1000 words A.K.A. Vacuum problems
Guru Newb
Lake Havasu City, AZ
44 Posts

Hey Chuck, it's me...thought I'd give this problem to the "Gurus"...any ideas on this mess?

Thanks Oz; I found the vacuum diagrams in the A/C section. You're right that's how its routed, but where is the source connection? Is it where the ball is tied to? (top left circle at about 10 O'clock). That's where I think that 2-way adapter is supposed to be.
Posted on: 2013/5/24 12:59

Schrade Re: A picture is worth 1000 words A.K.A. Vacuum problems
Elite Guru
eastern NC / e-i-e-i-o
1909 Posts

Hey Bob...

I don't know CrossFire.

I know vac leak detection as best as any however; do you have a leak? Or just trying to get OEM vac routing?

(only person ever got it right was weavsvette, from guru boards here)

Vac leak:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrade View Post
No one got the proper technique for vacuum leak detection...

FIRST (fully warmed up motor); block the gas pedal, or block the throttle linkage. YOU HAVE TO DO THIS TO GET A STEADY IDLE , around 1,250 rpms, or a little higher. If you don't, you can fish starting fluid, a propane hose, or WD40, or Krylon, or hair spray, or pee, anything, until you need a sweater in Hades, but if the motor is lopin' idle already from a vacuum leak, you ain't gonna' find any leak, unless it's so big that Little Jack Horner can stick his thumb in it and pull out a pineapple NOPE.

AFTER you get a steady idle, THEN, you can spray starting fluid everywhere - that's the best detector, because it's vapor pressure is very high - a LITTLE at a time, all around the motor, until you get the rpm SURGE. Follow the vacuum lines to the EVAP cannister too. You might even have to follow the EVAP lines from the EVAP cannister to the gas tank too, but that vacuum leak will show up as a DTC 32 EGR fault, and won't normally show as loping idle, unless the EVAP cannister has been by-passed (been there, saw that uh-HUH yup).

If you get a surge in a tight spot, and can't tell exactly where it is, light a book of matches, blow out the match heads while they're still burnin', and feed the smoke to the tight spot to see it get drawn in.

Fear not the starting fluid; you cannot put the can down fast enough and light the matches fast enough to catch the starting fluid, because the vapor pressure is so high.

Bookmark this post YUP.

Wrench Wizard OUT!
Posted on: 2013/5/27 2:58

Resized Image

84Xfire Re: A picture is worth 1000 words A.K.A. Vacuum problems
Guru Newb
Lake Havasu City, AZ
44 Posts

"I know vac leak detection as best as any however; do you have a leak? Or just trying to get OEM vac routing?"

Things have been messed up since day one....I'm trying to get it back to OEM routing, including emissions (PVC and crankcase venting)

I've got everything straight except the rear connections on the upper intake. I'm pretty sure from what I've been able to see, that the check valve goes at the rear most vacuum source. That is where the accumulator and A/C vacuum lines are tied together.

I was hoping another crossfire owner would chime in with more info to confirm my thoughts.
Posted on: 2013/5/27 18:30

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.