Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
260 user(s) are online (201 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  ALDL
Assembly Line Diagnostic Link

The cable you use to connect to a TECH 1 or a laptop computer for diagnosis and data logging purposes....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

Gearheadotaku Heater won't shut off
Guru
Michigan
52 Posts

before I get the Vette out for spring (just a month or so away) I'd like to find the source of my constant heat. I've got an '88 with the "automatic" climate control. Even in the off or vent funtion, heat pours out of the lower ducts. A/C works normal, so does defrost. You can turn off the fan, but as soon as you are moving hot air comes out of the ducts again. (Pressure from outside air at speed i guess) I stuffed a bunch of foam in the ducts to block the hot air, my feet are happier, but I'd like to fix this correctly.

Thanks
Posted on: 2008/2/14 13:06

MK 82 Re: Heater won't shut off
Senior Guru
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
439 Posts

Quote:
before I get the Vette out for spring (just a month or so away) I'd like to find the source of my constant heat. I've got an '88 with the "automatic" climate control. Even in the off or vent funtion, heat pours out of the lower ducts. A/C works normal, so does defrost. You can turn off the fan, but as soon as you are moving hot air comes out of the ducts again. (Pressure from outside air at speed i guess) I stuffed a bunch of foam in the ducts to block the hot air, my feet are happier, but I'd like to fix this correctly.

Thanks

If I recall correctly, There is a vacuum operated door to close off the heater core. You could also put a shut off valve inline in the heater hose in the engine compartment. We had a discussion on this matter recently. I suggested the valve for just this situation. Don't think yours has the vacuum heater valve in the engine compartment?

Resized Image]
Posted on: 2008/2/14 16:21

pianoguy RE:Heater won't shut off
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

I don't have a solution, but I can tell you that would be a highly desirable feature today in MN :tongue:
Posted on: 2008/2/14 16:54
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

pappyfreebird RE:Heater won't shut off
Senior Guru
1028 Posts

i rekon i follow drop ts thoughts...ive had the vacuem doors nawt opperate properly...at idle alls well ...but give her some throttle n the low vacuem will let the doors flop open ...higher throttle lower vacuem>>.

also agree wid the pianaman ... well dont seem that cold (compared to 30 below) but i r really gitton tired of plowin sno n repairin equipment...i need some grass!!!!!
Posted on: 2008/2/14 19:19
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Gearheadotaku RE:Heater won't shut off
Guru
Michigan
52 Posts

yes, there is a vacuum operated valve in the heater line. I would assume that it is triggered shut under A/C operation, but should it remain shut unless heat is called for? Does the vacuum signal open or close it? Maybe the blend door isn't operating correctly? Oh goddess, please don't make me tear into the dash.....
Is there a practical way to ditch the fancy pushbutton BS and hookup the standard controls? (there goes the dash again...)
Posted on: 2008/2/15 0:19

MK 82 RE:Heater won't shut off
Senior Guru
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
439 Posts

I believe the valve is normally closed. It opens with vacuum. You have three choices:

1. Live with it

2. Install a manual valve

3. Troubleshoot and fix the problem which usually involves some dismantling of the dash while standing on your head!
Posted on: 2008/2/15 2:23

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.