Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
148 user(s) are online (111 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Z25
Refers to 1993 Anniversary Editions; also known as Ruby.

These are the actual cars honored as anniversary cars.

They have RPO Z25 to prove it....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

brian Questions on some parts im ordering soon
Senior Guru
193 Posts

Ok so finally I will start working on my 1988 corvette, but i have to start ordering all my parts. I found a 4+3 for pretty cheap, so ill be sticking with the 4+3 instead of going 6 speed. I also need a radiator, but im not sure what radiator to go with. On mamotorworks.com there are like black ice and heavy duty, but I don't want to spend 500$ on a radiator. Can someone post some radiators and tell me why I should use that one instead of another one. Also i might look into buying a throttle body to increase HP and response, anyone know what throttle body to recommend? I also have a question about chipping my corvette. What chip do I buy and where does it go? Does it just plug into the slots underneath the steering wheel?
Posted on: 2008/4/6 13:03
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

CasetheCorvetteman Re: Questions on some parts im ordering soon
Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

Chips? Salt and vinigar are my choice mate, as for radiators, http://youtube.com/watch?v=7bkKb3KEda0

Now on a more serious note, throttle bodies DO NOT increase horsepower. Youre talking about an 88, with its asthmatic L98 TPi intake, youll be lucky if you dont lose 5 horses. The GM crate 502ci makes 502 horse with a 48mm throttle body, so what makes you think you need more?

Chips? Chips are what you feed your mrs after your creative date to make her thirsty enough to want to fill up on Jack Daniels.

And chipping? That is what you do on the golf course.

The best chip you can put in the ECM of that 88 is a custom chip done specifically for your car, the way its set up. No generic chip will give you value for money.

The "slots" under the steering wheel as you call them is the ALDC or Assembly Line Diagnostic Connection, this is where you connect the TECH 1, ALDL cable for Datamaster, or paperclip for diagnostic purposes.

As for radiators, we dont know what youre going to need, you havent told us your intensions for the car. The factory V01 radiator was a bloody good piece in my opinion, far better than the standard piece. Very effective.

Call MAXX WRENCH for the radiator, if he cant find the part number, tell him to hit me up, ill find it and get back to you. Be sure you ask for the optional V01 HD radiator, NOT the standard unit.
Posted on: 2008/4/6 14:10

bogus Re: Questions on some parts im ordering soon
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Ok... Let me reinforce one thing: the dillusion that a throttle body will improve performance is just that.

I don't see where a basically stock L98 will benefit much from ANY kind of tuning. I suspect you would spend a lot of money and get 10 HP. Seriously. Casey is absolutely right, tho, if you want to tune, a tune, and not a mail order chip, is the best - hell - the only way to go.

Here is my recipe for perking up the L98:

EXHAUST EXHAUST EXHAUST.

To do this right, you need a friend with an exhaust shop.

Get the hangers for an LT1. They are different from the L98 hangers. There are two that you should concern yourself with, the forward and the middle. The middle attaches to the same brackets as the rear toe alignment points.

Now, I would also get the LT1 style muffler brackets, too. They would be a nice addition and give you options for mufflers.

Lose the ENTIRE stock exhaust. From the manifolds to the mufflers. For this case, get a cheap set of long tubes. So what if they rust out in 3 years, gee, that's three years, right? Besides, when you build that killer, you will want to get headers that are much nicer, anyway.

Next up, a pair of high-flow cats. These do more than just kill emissions, they will also smooth out the exhaust flow and lower the noise to a more tolerable level. I recommend Carsound (a part of Magnaflow). I haven't used them, but they have a great street cred.

Now is time to really work on the exhaust. I highly recommend a x-pipe. It will help balance out the power pulses. You can have one welded up pretty cheap if you use mild steel. However, mild steel won't last as long as a quality T304 stainless piece (think Borla or Magnaflow). Think long term, too. If you invest in good mandrel bent tubing now, you won't have to replace it later. I would use 2.5" or 2.75" tubing. It will support upwards of 500 crank HP without any problems.

To install an x-pipe correctly, you need to find the new exhausts hot spot. This would mean a true dual system that would go to mufflers (Magnaflow is my preference for this install). Using a temp gun or a piece of masking tape, find the hot spot. Once you do, that's where the X in the x-pipe should go. Or as close as you can get it. That's where the natural turbulance is and you want to take advantage of that.

That setup will buy you a lot of power and a lot of room for growth. I suspect you could pickup 40+ HP with a stock TPI by doing that exhaust setup.

My feelings on mods is simple. If you are going to do it, do it with a plan. Don't just throw nickles at it, save them and throw real money at it. All the bolt-ons in the Ecklers catalog won't gain you jack in power output, but it will make them rich.

If you are dreaming of big horse power, you will need a better exhaust. This setup will support that power, keep the air clean (meaning you will pass sniff tests) and help your cars performance NOW.
Posted on: 2008/4/6 18:28

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Oaklands Re: Questions on some parts im ordering soon
Senior Guru
Morristown, TN
480 Posts

Bogus,

What kind of mufflers are you suggesting with this setup? I have thought about changing my exhaust out as well. However, I don't want the resonance to be overbearing inside. I want a good outside sound and would like to pick up a bit of HP along the way. Are you suggesting putting precats on and drop the regular cats?

Thanks.
Posted on: 2008/4/7 1:10

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

As I state in that post, Magnaflow. I don't know the exact model, but they have them for the C4.

What I am suggesting setting up an exhaust that emulates the LT1 design.

The precats are a joke, really.

The LT1 uses a pair of main cats, right off the manifolds. This is the methodology I am suggesting.

The cats will help reduce resonance as will the x-pipe.

A friend had Magnaflow and they didn't resonate much at all. Still more than my Corsa system but not all that bad.

The stock L98 uses a pair of precats and one main cat. That is where the restriction comes in. The OEM exhaust doesn't so much resonate as it booms. It's a weird thing, but it is a result of the exhaust gases exceeding the speed of sound as it constricts down to the center cat.
Posted on: 2008/4/7 1:34

CentralCoaster Re: Questions on some parts im ordering soon
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Throttle body and chip is a waste of money for you at this point.

If you want to perk it up a bit you need to work harder than that. A high flow base and runners or exhaust.

I would suggest a larger front-Y pipe and a high flow 3" carsound cat ($50). You can run this with or without mufflers depending on how much noise you want, and still pass emissions fine. Or bogus's setup would probably be better, although you'd need two cats, but Carsounds are DIRT CHEAP and flow very well.

Exhaust is cheap if you let your local shop do some of the fabrication and avoid some of the bolt-on parts.

High flow intake base can be had for $200+ but then the runners become a restriction, those are another $200+. These are bolt-ons but take a little work. If you have a dremel you can carve out a few more hp.
Posted on: 2008/4/7 14:57

Senior Guru
Morristown, TN
480 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:

The LT1 uses a pair of main cats, right off the manifolds. This is the methodology I am suggesting.

The cats will help reduce resonance as will the x-pipe.

A friend had Magnaflow and they didn't resonate much at all. Still more than my Corsa system but not all that bad.

The stock L98 uses a pair of precats and one main cat. That is where the restriction comes in. The OEM exhaust doesn't so much resonate as it booms. It's a weird thing, but it is a result of the exhaust gases exceeding the speed of sound as it constricts down to the center cat.

Should a person go with high flow cats then instead of a regular OEM set?
Posted on: 2008/4/8 1:43

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

The Carsound ARE highflow. You should read my first post in this thread.
Posted on: 2008/4/8 2:05

Senior Guru
Morristown, TN
480 Posts

My aplogies. Apparently I overlooked that.

Thanks.
Posted on: 2008/4/8 22:54

CentralCoaster Re: Questions on some parts im ordering soon
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

I posted up a thread in tech for you with flow numbers.

I know it's full of holes, but its a starting point. Carsound has always been close or at the top of the flow tests I've seen, and it's cheap.
Posted on: 2008/4/8 23:10

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Quote:

Oaklands wrote:
My aplogies. Apparently I overlooked that.

Thanks.

no worries.
Posted on: 2008/4/9 5:13

Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

Looks like the Australian influence is hitting Mr Bogus...
Posted on: 2008/4/9 7:52

SpeedHound Re: Questions on some parts im ordering soon
Registered Vendor
Social Circle, GA
119 Posts

Corvette Central has bolt up Magnaflows with either L98 or LT1 tips. We just put a pair on an 88 and it sounds nice. It's actually very quiet for having aftermarket mufflers. In a month or so headers, y pipe and a random tech cat will go on. We will find out then how loud it's going to get. Oh we put a new rear ypipe on as well.

I'll tell you the same thing I tell customers, do not nickel and dime your power add ons. Save your money for quality improvements that will make a difference. Also, as already suggested too, have a plan. For instance, why are you keeping or adding the 4+3? Is your current trans going or gone and you need something to go down the road? I hope you're not swapping a 4+3 into the car. That would be a bad move in my book.

Also, if your money is starting to burn a hole in your pocket, don't go crazy with dress up items that everyone else has. Step back and take a look at things and see what you can do yourself with a little imagination, some time, and a whole let less money. Spray paint is cheap and looks great when applied correctly.

Oh and for a radiator, I sell DeWitts for $460 for your car. If you really want one, I'll see what I can do about the pricing, just let me know.
Posted on: 2008/4/10 0:39

www.speedhound.com

LSx swap parts - performance - repairs - restoration

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Quote:

CasetheCorvetteman wrote:
Looks like the Australian influence is hitting Mr Bogus...

shit no.
Posted on: 2008/4/10 5:48

Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

Thats two posts in this thread youve used phrases very common to my daily conversation ;)
Posted on: 2008/4/10 6:30

brian Re: Questions on some parts im ordering soon
Senior Guru
193 Posts

Quote:

SpeedHound wrote:
Corvette Central has bolt up Magnaflows with either L98 or LT1 tips. We just put a pair on an 88 and it sounds nice. It's actually very quiet for having aftermarket mufflers. In a month or so headers, y pipe and a random tech cat will go on. We will find out then how loud it's going to get. Oh we put a new rear ypipe on as well.

I'll tell you the same thing I tell customers, do not nickel and dime your power add ons. Save your money for quality improvements that will make a difference. Also, as already suggested too, have a plan. For instance, why are you keeping or adding the 4+3? Is your current trans going or gone and you need something to go down the road? I hope you're not swapping a 4+3 into the car. That would be a bad move in my book.

Also, if your money is starting to burn a hole in your pocket, don't go crazy with dress up items that everyone else has. Step back and take a look at things and see what you can do yourself with a little imagination, some time, and a whole let less money. Spray paint is cheap and looks great when applied correctly.

Oh and for a radiator, I sell DeWitts for $460 for your car. If you really want one, I'll see what I can do about the pricing, just let me know.

Car already has a 4+3 with a good overdrive and messed up 4 speed so ill replace the 4 speed.
Posted on: 2008/4/10 20:11

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.