Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
155 user(s) are online (105 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Stingray
1969 through 1976 Corvette.

Not to be confused with the Sting Ray, 1963 - 1967....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

pianoguy SES light, no codes
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

On the way home from work last night, my Service Engine Soon light came on. The car was running fine, temps good, etc. I checked for codes, but there was nothing. I disconnected the battery for a few minutes, hooked it up and the light went away. And the drive to work today was fine. Any idea as to what might have caused that? I did have the targa top off, so there was probably a little more vibration than normal, but nothing outlandish.

Thanks in advance!
Posted on: 2008/4/23 12:12

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

pianoguy Re: SES light, no codes
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

After several days of driving, the light came back on again this morning on the way to the office - I won't get to pull the codes until I get home tonight. Assuming no codes, what could be causing this? Loose wire somewhere, maybe?
Posted on: 2008/4/29 12:19

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

toptechx6 Re: SES light, no codes
Senior Guru
south Florida
362 Posts

Two things occur to me being a 96, if you are trying to pull codes with a paper clip they may not display properly, since it is OBDII. The second thought is your scan tool if you are using one.
Many OBDII scanners only read the "generic" codes required by government mandate under OBDII protocol that is why some scan tool makers offer "enhanced" software at extra cost that will read proprietary (manufacturer specific) codes.
Normally if the light comes on there is a code stored, just a matter of being able to read it, good luck.
Posted on: 2008/4/29 13:24

Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

My wife bought me an OBDII scanner (don't remember what brand/model), and it didn't work, so I used the paper clip method. It seemed to cycle through all the modules, and displayed C12, I believe - whichever code says that there are no codes.
Posted on: 2008/4/29 13:28

pappyfreebird Re: SES light, no codes
Senior Guru
1028 Posts

my lil truck was doing same as you describe 4.3 v6...but it was the oxygen sensor in exhaust..itd go off with unhookin bat..n fine fer couple daze then back on...so went to advance n plugged it in there...then bought one sensor n switched them tell cured it...n yeup it was the last one ,,,but got it
Posted on: 2008/4/29 14:48

Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Quote:

pappyfreebird wrote:
my lil truck was doing same as you describe 4.3 v6...but it was the oxygen sensor in exhaust..itd go off with unhookin bat..n fine fer couple daze then back on...so went to advance n plugged it in there...then bought one sensor n switched them tell cured it...n yeup it was the last one ,,,but got it

Thanks - something to be on the lookout for. It never fails that it's the last one, does it? ;-)
Posted on: 2008/4/29 15:23

toptechx6 Re: SES light, no codes
Senior Guru
south Florida
362 Posts

Before throwing any parts at it, try stopping by AutoZone to see if they can pull a code for you, they should do it for free from what I've been told.
Posted on: 2008/4/29 15:42

Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

I just got home, and am waiting for FedEx to come pick up a package, so I poked around a bit. I found that the connector to the MAF wasn't snapped in tightly. So I disconnected the battery to reset the light and will see if that does the trick. If not, I'll swing by AutoZone next time it happens. I need to figure out what's wrong with the gizmo my wife got me - it's called a V-Checker:

http://www.vchecker.com/product/OBDBASIC.htm
Posted on: 2008/4/29 20:22

benny42 Re: SES light, no codes
Guru Newb
Houston, Tx
91 Posts

Just tossing out an idea. Check your lighter fuse. My
truck OBD2 port uses that B+ to power the scanner. The
truck runs ok with that fuse blown, but the scanner won't
work. Good luck with it. benny
Posted on: 2008/4/30 1:37

Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Thanks, Benny - I'll check that.
Posted on: 2008/4/30 3:01

CasetheCorvetteman Re: SES light, no codes
Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

Quote:

pianoguy wrote:
My wife bought me an OBDII scanner (don't remember what brand/model), and it didn't work, so I used the paper clip method. It seemed to cycle through all the modules, and displayed C12, I believe - whichever code says that there are no codes.

C12 means nothing at all in any other module other than Module 1, which is the CCM module. The CCM module DTCs will not set the SERVICE ENGINE SOON light, they will flash SYS on the instrument cluster.

You can have every single DTC known to man in the other modules, but if there is nothing in Module 1, youll get C12.

The way the other modules indicate no DTCs is by displaying "- - -" in the main display above the module number.
Posted on: 2008/4/30 6:19

Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Quote:

CasetheCorvetteman wrote:
Quote:

pianoguy wrote:

C12 means nothing at all in any other module other than Module 1, which is the CCM module. The CCM module DTCs will not set the SERVICE ENGINE SOON light, they will flash SYS on the instrument cluster.

You can have every single DTC known to man in the other modules, but if there is nothing in Module 1, youll get C12.

The way the other modules indicate no DTCs is by displaying "- - -" in the main display above the module number.

Forgot to mention that - as it cycled through, all the other modules displayed just that.
Posted on: 2008/4/30 10:30

CasetheCorvetteman Re: SES light, no codes
Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

Then the DTC you have is of the OBD2 variety and can be reliably read using a TECH2 unit.
Posted on: 2008/4/30 10:34

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.