Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
354 user(s) are online (303 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  C5
Abbreviation for the 5th generation of Corvettes built from 1997-2004....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

bmwgsa Speeding Ticket
Guru
Earth
735 Posts

This may be true, it may be false, I don't know - but I thought it was funny......

Two California Highway Patrol Officers were conducting speeding enforcement on I-15, just north of the Marine Corps Air Station at Miramar.

One of the officers was using a hand held radar device to check speeding vehicles approaching the crest of a hill.

The officers were suddenly surprised when the radar gun began reading 300 miles per hour.

The officer attempted to reset the radar gun, but it would not reset and then turned off.

Just then a deafening roar over the treetops revealed that the radar had in fact locked on to a USMC F/A-18 Hornet which was engaged in a low flying exercise near the location.

Back at the CHP Headquarters the Patrol Captain fired off a complaint to the USMC Base Commander.

The reply came back in true USMC style:

Thank you for your letter.
We can now complete the file on this incident.
You may be interested to know that the tactical computer in the Hornet had detected the presence of, and subsequently locked on to, your hostile radar equipment and automatically sent a jamming signal back to it, which is why it shut down.

Furthermore, an Air-to-Ground missile aboard the fully armed aircraft had also automatically locked on to your equipment location.

Fortunately, the Marine Pilot flying the Hornet recognized the situation for what it was, quickly responded to the missile system alert status and was able to override the automated defense system before the missile was launched to destroy the hostile radar position.

The pilot also suggests you cover your mouths when cussing at them, since the video systems on these jets are very high tech.

Sergeant Johnson, the officer holding the radar gun, should get his dentist to check his left rear molar.

It appears the filling is loose. Also, the snap is broken on his holster.

Thank you for your concern.
Semper Fi.
Posted on: 2008/4/25 13:26
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

FLYINLOW90 Re: Speeding Ticket
Senior Guru
Windsor Ontario Canada
514 Posts

True or not pretty funny...

Equipment like that makes me feel pretty safe and proud to be American....

Gary
Posted on: 2008/4/25 13:58

bastet44 Re: Speeding Ticket
Webmaster
San Pedro, CA
1389 Posts

A friend of mine with decades of military experience sent me the same funny.

He didn't know if this particular incident was true, but said that in his many years of experience of flying, he has seen similar incidents where something on the ground would automatically trigger the aircraft to lock on to targets or the pilots (particularly fresh ones) would freak out from something (innocent) they see on the ground that looks like they are being targeted. Numerous conversations would have to take place between the base and locals to ensure no bad accidents happened.
Posted on: 2008/4/25 15:32
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

CentralCoaster Re: Speeding Ticket
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Yeah sounds like B.S. There are no hills in that area to hide a plane, and I'm sure they don't fly armed during training. But the low flying aircraft there do trip my radar detector sometimes.

I can be very exciting driving down that freeway though! Makes you want to put the hammer down when you see one of those figher jets cruising over.
Posted on: 2008/4/25 15:43

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.