Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
306 user(s) are online (230 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
 Register To Post

josephf31 Can anybody identify this connector and wiring please?
Senior Guru
New Jersey
375 Posts

I need help fixing a butchered wiring harness on the 1991 C4 auto coupe I just bought.

1. Can someone identify the large yellow plug in this picture and tell what it is for (SIR?) and what it is supposed to connect to?

2. There are a bunch of cut wires on the picture as well, that I am sure go to the radio, can someone tell me where they are supposed to terminate and maybe how many and what type of connectors are supposed to be there? They don't go to the head unit, those 2 connector plugs are visible in the background.
Resized Image
Posted on: 2008/5/5 2:55
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

CasetheCorvetteman Re: Can anybody identify this connector and wiring please?
Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

Airbag module connection mate. Anything that colour is related to airbag.

I reckon youre right about the others, although not for the factory radio. Hard to say really what they are.

The 3 black ones there will be the A/C head unit, and the old original radio connectors.

The piece with the grey top thats bolted to the plastic frame is related to the ABS.
Posted on: 2008/5/5 3:05

bogus Re: Can anybody identify this connector and wiring please?
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

dude... if you are messing with the wiring, you need the Helm Factory Service Manual... www.helminc.com
Posted on: 2008/5/5 3:47

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

Yeah but just looking at that wiring in question there Bogus, it doesnt look like a stock thing to me, some of them look like 20 gauge speaker cable, but i cant really see clear enough.
Posted on: 2008/5/5 4:13

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

ah, yes. the picture has grown since my last look in this thread.

you are dead on, the wiring is stereo related...
Posted on: 2008/5/5 5:51

josephf31 Re: Can anybody identify this connector and wiring please?
Senior Guru
New Jersey
375 Posts

Thanks all of you guys are great, I have an FSM but have difficulty figuring out the wiring -- one more question, what exactly does the big yellow connector connect to? The DERM, what? Thanks again!

Joe
Posted on: 2008/5/5 6:26

Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

Yep, the Dynamic Energy thingo.
Posted on: 2008/5/5 7:23

Matatk Re: Can anybody identify this connector and wiring please?
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:

you are dead on, the wiring is stereo related...

You've got speaker wires there, power wires (ignition and constant) and the pinkish wire if I recall is for the antenna.

Matthew
Posted on: 2008/5/5 13:15

Senior Guru
New Jersey
375 Posts

I studied the FSM and it looks like the large yellow "plug" could actually be SIR "resistor" which clips onto a dash panel, even though it looks it is supposed to connect to something, I don't think it does, can anyone verify that?

I figured out the radio wiring, except now I have power to the radio but no sound from any of the speakers :-( any thoughts?

Thanks!
Posted on: 2008/5/6 21:26

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

I can't help much on the SIR.

As far as the speakers, this is not meant to be insulting but are you sure you used the correct speaker wires? There are at least two sets in there based on the fact that you have the factory and the aftermarket. Did the wiring look the same behind the head unit and at the speaker hook-ups? A quick test to make sure your head unit is working properly would be to run some test speakers and wire directly off the head unit to test it out. If that's the case, either verify you are using the correct wires or run new ones.

Good luck!

Matthew
Posted on: 2008/5/7 0:58

Senior Guru
New Jersey
375 Posts

The bundle of radio wires in the picture were run from an aftermarket adapter over by the "real" receiver under the passenger side of the dash...when I traced everything back, I was able to reconnect all the original plugs to the original Bose radio receiver, head unit etc.

Now, the unit powers on, the antenna goes up (well halfway anyway!), the radio seeks and scans, but no sound from any of the original 4 Bose speakers, from either the radio or a tape.

I have checked all the wiring and it looks OK, all the fuses look OK, and the relay for the amplifiers (under the driver's side of the dash) all look OK -- could all 4 speakers be bad?

As for the SIR part, I am almost certain is the "resistor" referred to in the FSM...but it would be nice to know for sure...

Thanks again to all...

Joe
Posted on: 2008/5/7 2:15

Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

Joe as far as Airbags and SIR systems go mate, i dont like them, especially earlier US setups, and what youd find behind my dash is a couple big ceramic resistors to keep the computer happy, my air bag in the wheel cant go off, and the passenger airbag is long gone.
Posted on: 2008/5/7 9:48

CentralCoaster Re: Can anybody identify this connector and wiring please?
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

The prev owner might have put the bose stuff back in when he sold the car and took his fancy speakers out.

The bose won't work with an aftermarket head unit, at least not as-is, and not that well. If I were you I'd shop around for either a bose head unit, or some aftermarket speakers. Bogus can tell you what size speakers your 91 needs.

If you pull any of your bose speakers out you'll probably find the other end of those wires just laying there.
Posted on: 2008/5/8 1:34

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

I doubt all 4 are bad, but anything's possible. Sounds like all of the wiring isn't connected properly. In my opinion I'd drop the bose and put in a decent head unit and 4 speakers. You can do that around $300-350.

Matthew
Posted on: 2008/5/8 13:22

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Quote:

CasetheCorvetteman wrote:
Joe as far as Airbags and SIR systems go mate, i dont like them, especially earlier US setups, and what youd find behind my dash is a couple big ceramic resistors to keep the computer happy, my air bag in the wheel cant go off, and the passenger airbag is long gone.

Why don't you? I have NEVER heard of one premature detonation with this system, nor an accident relatated failure. If they were supposed to go, they do and visa versa.

You have to realize that a steering wheel/column with an airbag lacks the ability to collapse as a wheel/column not equipped. So you are taking a risk if there is an accident. Remember, the airbag has to support your weight, not collapse away from you.

The airbag in my 92 is 100% OEM original and has not exploded on it's own... and I haven't had a wreck, so I can't attest to it's function, but I will if that ever happens.

Just some food for thought....
Posted on: 2008/5/8 14:52

Senior Guru
New Jersey
375 Posts

OK -- getting there -- I spent yesterday rewiring all the original Bose equipment (I really want to keep it if works and until I rewired it who knows).

Now I get power but no sound from any of the speakers, do get a weird hissing type noise that seems to be coming from the head unit (in the dash in front of the shifter not the "real" receiver under the glovebox.

I checked voltage at each speaker orange wire getting 12+ volts so (according to the FSM) the CDR ("real" receiver) is supplying voltage to all speakers.

Would a bad head ("control") unit possibly be the cause of this? Thanks all!
Posted on: 2008/5/12 2:41

Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
Why don't you? I have NEVER heard of one premature detonation with this system, nor an accident relatated failure. If they were supposed to go, they do and visa versa.

You have to realize that a steering wheel/column with an airbag lacks the ability to collapse as a wheel/column not equipped. So you are taking a risk if there is an accident. Remember, the airbag has to support your weight, not collapse away from you.

The airbag in my 92 is 100% OEM original and has not exploded on it's own... and I haven't had a wreck, so I can't attest to it's function, but I will if that ever happens.

Just some food for thought....

Premature ejaculation of the airbag is the last thing on my mind, they are just a bad idea. I dont like them. They can cause neck injuries.
Posted on: 2008/5/12 7:06

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Quote:

Premature ejaculation of the airbag is the last thing on my mind, they are just a bad idea. I dont like them. They can cause neck injuries.

Interesting. I heard steering wheels can cause face injuries :tongue3:

Matthew
Posted on: 2008/5/12 21:38

Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

Yep, ofcourse they can mate. But research in this country has shown youre less likely to receive a serious neck injury from a steering wheel when compared to an airbag.
Posted on: 2008/5/13 7:28

rayquayle Re: Can anybody identify this connector and wiring please?
Senior Guru
139 Posts

Quote:

Yep, ofcourse they can mate. But research in this country has shown youre less likely to receive a serious neck injury from a steering wheel when compared to an airbag.

Also many studies have shown you're far less likely to be in an accident while driving without an air bag than without a sterring wheel. I read that in the same magazine that claimed in America, the television is the most watched appliance.
Posted on: 2008/5/13 17:55
NCM Founder #2896
NCM Lifetime #672
Graduate of Gordon's School

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.