Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
203 user(s) are online (143 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Driver Information Center
Also known as the DIC.

This is the display readout panel on the dash. It's above the radio for 1984-1989; above the climate controls, 1990-1996.
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

BillSF49 94 automatic - soft shift
Guru Newb
3 Posts

I have owned my 94 LT1 auto since 2002. I used to get a second gear scratch when i stood on the throttle. It was a firm shift. Now, over the last several months, I have noticed that it is very soft, kind of like an old buick. the shift just slides into the next gear. It is very uneventful. I haven't had any changes to tires or tuning. It just seems to have gone "soft".
Does this sound like a big problem? I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks,
Bill
Posted on: 2008/5/22 12:10
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Notorious Re: 94 automatic - soft shift
Elite Guru
Downbound train, NC
2184 Posts

It could just be showing it's age but the 4L60E can have pressure loss problems that can be fixed w/o an entire rebuild. My original trans didn't shift as I liked either so I installed a B&M Shift Plus unit. It's cheap and easy to install and boosts shift pressures electronically, as can be done with a PCM reprogramming. My stock trans worked good for several years after until I installed a stroker engine, that finally killed it.
Posted on: 2008/5/22 13:02

1Fast04Vert Re: 94 automatic - soft shift
Elite Guru
The hills of N. Georgia
2424 Posts

Time for a fluid and filter service???? Does the fluid smell burnt, look discolored, etc?
Posted on: 2008/5/22 14:13

BillSF49 Re: 94 automatic - soft shift
Guru Newb
3 Posts

Actually, yes, I have it changed regularly, probably more often than I should, it is a nice cranberry color.
Posted on: 2008/5/23 4:41

CasetheCorvetteman Re: 94 automatic - soft shift
Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

Yep, the band is rooted.

You can never change auto trans fluid too often.
Posted on: 2008/5/23 11:35

aapple Re: 94 automatic - soft shift
Guru Newb
Duncanville, Texas
17 Posts

Quote:

BillSF49 wrote:
I have owned my 94 LT1 auto since 2002. I used to get a second gear scratch when i stood on the throttle. It was a firm shift. Now, over the last several months, I have noticed that it is very soft, kind of like an old buick. the shift just slides into the next gear. It is very uneventful. I haven't had any changes to tires or tuning. It just seems to have gone "soft".
Does this sound like a big problem? I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks,
Bill

How are the other shifts? Are they also a bit softer, or do they still work the same?
The band in the 700/4L60E operates 2nd gear and 4th, so usually, if there is a band issue, it will effect both 2nd and 4th...unless there is a problem with the servo.

The servo(located on the pass side of the trans) is actually two separate servos...one section operates 2nd, the other operates 4th. You can have a sealing ring problem on the 2nd servo that will make the 1-2 shift mushy, but not effect the 3-4 shift.
There could also be a problem with the 1-2 accumulator, located inside the pan of the trans. Usually, if the accum. spring breaks, it causes harsh shifts, but...if it hangs up the accum. piston, it can cause a soft shift.
Soooo many possibilities here...
Posted on: 2008/5/26 14:33
C3VR

Matatk Re: 94 automatic - soft shift
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22807 Posts

Wow...good info. Are you going to be our trans go-to-guy?

Matthew
Posted on: 2008/5/26 15:50

BillSF49 Re: 94 automatic - soft shift
Guru Newb
3 Posts

All other shifts are still the same, no issues at all, it is just that 1 to 2 soft shift. Everything else is good. So, should I check for leaks on the passenger side trans? This is good info, i was immediately thinking worst case scenario. It would be nice to know there may be some alternate maybe less costly solutions. Thanks,
Posted on: 2008/5/28 22:28

aapple Re: 94 automatic - soft shift
Guru Newb
Duncanville, Texas
17 Posts

You wouldn't see any leaks from the servo externally...at least none that would cause the soft shift. Don't get me wrong, the trans may have an internal problem, but I prefer to eliminate the easy stuff first.
In this case, I would remove the servo, and check the sealing rings for the 2nd gear part of it. If the rings were good, I'd have to start digging into the valve body or accumulator for answers. Of course, once you get the pan off to check that stuff, the pan itself will help with further diagnostics. If there's a ton of crap in the pan, it's time for a rebuild anyway.
If the pan is fairly clean, and only has minor "varnish", and no major chunks, then I'd check the accumulator for a damaged spring or accum. piston. The center hole of the accum. piston can and does wear out, making it egg-shaped, which allows the 2nd gear fluid pressure to bleed off. It's very common to see the piston messed up, as it is to see the spring broken. Both are easily replaced.

If the accum. looks okay, then it's time to remove the valve body, and see if there are any stuck/sticky valves.
After that...well...it's time to pull the unit.

Have you scanned the ECM to see if there are any codes in it? Sometimes that can point you in the right direction, too. The trans in the '94 is electronic controlled...don't see a lot of issues with the solenoids that would cause only one shift problem, but it could happen if the EPC(electronic pressure control) solenoid is gunked up, and not responding quickly enough.
hth
Posted on: 2008/5/29 4:09
C3VR

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.