Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
166 user(s) are online (112 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
 Register To Post

NC Kid I bout took a hammer to it.
Elite Guru
North Carolina
1671 Posts

Squeaking is the A.I.R. pump. I thought about htiting it with a hammer it sounded so bad. Anyway, I saw the tech tip to remove the guts but that's to complex and I really don't wanna spend all that money on some lame pully. Is their not some way to make it stop and leave it on and NOT get a pully or remove the guts...Hammer route sounds good idea to me.

On a good note, I cleaned out the throttle body, cleaned and gapped the plugs, tightened two spark plug wires that were a little loose, changed the oil/filter, ran some fuel injector cleaner thru it, added a little air to the tires, checked the belt, added some antifreeze and water, transmission fluid level is good and not burnt looking, and it feels fine now. Except the A.I.R. pump noise.... Guess it just needed a tune up. On a side note, when I took out the drain plug, it had alot of grit on the inside of it. I cleaned it up and checked the oil and it was pretty black. Couldn't see anything soild so I hope the grit is just road grime? I feel happy it's nothing major. Appreciate the comments guys.

Now that I am thinking about it, would the A.I.R. pump being the way it is, hurt anything? The stock cats are gone so it's fine that way. Just the noise. Anyone know why it makes the noise it does?
Posted on: 2008/5/31 21:51
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

CentralCoaster Re: I bout took a hammer to it.
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Removing the guts is as much work as getting to the rear bearing to lube it.

Loosen pulley, remove belt, remove pulley, remove pump, open pump, stick screwdriver inside drum and smash fiberglass fins with hammer, remove. Remove teflon sliders, then put back together (with lubed bearings).

The squeaking might not be the bearings. Dirt and carbon can build up on the inside of the casing and the fiberglass fins rub against it making noise. So if you don't gut it, at least clean that surface.
Posted on: 2008/5/31 22:32

NC Kid Re: I bout took a hammer to it.
Elite Guru
North Carolina
1671 Posts

I just soaked the pully and behind it with liquid wrench and now it seems to have gone quiet. :D Which is good news. My dad is INTENT on believing it's a vacum pump that operates the whole car. He says no messing with it because the car won't run. I have told him for 15 minutes about it and he wants to know if it is a Air pump, why was it on their and wheres the vacum pump and blah blah blah and I showed him the eliminator kit and he said why would they make plastic pullys....Long story short, he says leave it.
Posted on: 2008/5/31 22:55

bogus Re: I bout took a hammer to it.
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

there is no vacuum pump on the C4. Never was... ever.

that pump was simply an emissions air pump that fed fresh air into the exhaust and cats to help light off the cats faster on a cold morning.

Remove it and all the lines. I hate the pump... it's annoying.
Posted on: 2008/6/1 1:15

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Elite Guru
North Carolina
1671 Posts

Just showed him this thread. Ding ding ding!!! He doesn't understand why but yea....:D atleast he knows it's a air pump. So how did yall remove yours? Pully or gut? Still not squeaking which is good.
Posted on: 2008/6/1 2:00

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Vacuum pumps are for diesels! You've got plenty of vacuum on your naturally aspirated V8 to run everything.

Ask him if it's a vacuum pump, why does it connect to the exhaust with big fatty hoses?

Who's car is it anyways?
Posted on: 2008/6/1 2:29

Elite Guru
North Carolina
1671 Posts

My car. He just doesn't like messing with stuff. Says once you start moving/adding stuff, it's unreliable and always messes something up. Spose like a dominos effect. Plus he pays repairs. I drive and do some occassional modding. :D He knows basic stuff but he drove older vettes when he was younger so he don't know much about this one or newer ones. He complains about it's electronics alot 2.
Posted on: 2008/6/1 3:55

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

back in the 1970s, many cars had vacuum pumps, because the emissions controls stole so much of the vacuum. My dad's 76 aspen (a real POS) had one.
Posted on: 2008/6/1 4:43

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

That's true for mods, but eliminating stuff can easily make the car more reliable. The air pump isn't even needed to pass smog, it serves it's purpose only for the few minutes the car is warming up, and even then, it's purely for emissions. If anything it will decrease the life of your cat converters.
Posted on: 2008/6/1 4:44

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Quote:

B1ack86v3tt3 wrote:
My car. He just doesn't like messing with stuff. Says once you start moving/adding stuff, it's unreliable and always messes something up. Spose like a dominos effect. Plus he pays repairs. I drive and do some occassional modding. :D He knows basic stuff but he drove older vettes when he was younger so he don't know much about this one or newer ones. He complains about it's electronics alot 2.

in this case, the pulley is the fix. The air pump, and the removal of the assoicated parts, does nothing but help.
Posted on: 2008/6/1 4:44

CasetheCorvetteman Re: I bout took a hammer to it.
Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

Never had an issue with mine, its electric
Posted on: 2008/6/1 5:41

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

yea, well, same here.
Posted on: 2008/6/1 5:50

toptechx6 Re: I bout took a hammer to it.
Senior Guru
south Florida
362 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
back in the 1970s, many cars had vacuum pumps, because the emissions controls stole so much of the vacuum. My dad's 76 aspen (a real POS) had one.

????, the 70's was a long time ago so I'll cut you some slack but you should research that statement.
Aspens and Volare's did have air pumps that performed the same function as those on Vette's. Those vehicles did have vacuum reservoirs, check valves and a vacuum amplifier that increased signal vacuum to operate the EGR valve, but all vacuum was supplied from the intake manifold.
Posted on: 2008/6/1 11:24

Elite Guru
North Carolina
1671 Posts

Allright, who has used the "plastic" pully version from midamerica...BP wants almost 300 for the metal pully. Will plastic last or melt? Going that route!
Posted on: 2008/6/2 1:00

CasetheCorvetteman Re: I bout took a hammer to it.
Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

Why would it melt?
Posted on: 2008/6/2 7:44

Elite Guru
North Carolina
1671 Posts

Try putting a non microwave safe plastic container in the microwave and turn it up on high. Hot liquid plastic. Heat from motor possibly melt the pully? I take it your saying it wont melt it. Thanks.

FYI, it's squeaking again and the liquid wrench isn't helping now.
Posted on: 2008/6/2 14:17

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

check your other pulleys and don't be surprised they are plastic. High-temp composites are changing the world.
Posted on: 2008/6/2 18:05

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Quote:

toptechx6 wrote:
Quote:

bogus wrote:

????, the 70's was a long time ago so I'll cut you some slack but you should research that statement.
Aspens and Volare's did have air pumps that performed the same function as those on Vette's. Those vehicles did have vacuum reservoirs, check valves and a vacuum amplifier that increased signal vacuum to operate the EGR valve, but all vacuum was supplied from the intake manifold.

I was going by what my dad and brother said at the time. I assumed they were right... I was only 10 and they knew a lot more than I did! and researching the emissions on a 70s volare is about impossible.
Posted on: 2008/6/2 18:07

toptechx6 Re: I bout took a hammer to it.
Senior Guru
south Florida
362 Posts

Quote:

I was going by what my dad and brother said at the time. I assumed they were right... I was only 10 and they knew a lot more than I did! and researching the emissions on a 70s volare is about impossible.

I their defense air pumps were commonly called vacuum pumps back in the day, mostly because they were different and very few understood what they really did. Like all emission equipment they were blamed for any and all problems if the car didn't run right and the cars did run like crap even when everything was working correctly!
Posted on: 2008/6/2 18:29

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

I can't remember seeing any plastic pulleys recently.

If it is in fact plastic, it will get brittle with heat cycles eventually. Could take 20 years or 20 months to become a problem. Of course there are plenty of composites, nylon, fiberglass, that might look like plastic.

Check with Agent86, although I havent' seen him on this forum lately. He had a cheap solution for replacing the pump.

I got a small junkyard pulley but I havent' gotten around to fabricating anything. Most eliminator setups I see look ridiculous and stick out like a sore thumb. And they don't bolt on to an 85 with the different smog pump and alternator setup. So I thought I could come up with something lower profile. But I need to keep the smog pump casing in place anyways to pass the visual smog inspection, even though it's gutted.
Posted on: 2008/6/3 1:24

Elite Guru
North Carolina
1671 Posts

Idk what the pully is really made of. From the picture in the magazine, it looks plastic...GIjoe on the other forum said the one at BP was garbage. I'll give it a shot. Shut the squeaking up. We don't have smog checks anyway so it does not matter.
Posted on: 2008/6/3 1:53

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.