Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
306 user(s) are online (166 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Horn
A rather boring honk, but it should be loud and clear.

It should work with key on or off....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

DaleD Update, parts in, it runs.
Senior Guru
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
1389 Posts

I put in the coil and the module. As normal for me, not without some kind of a pain. No, not the wires, I numbered them and marked where #1 goes!
I put in the module, the keeper on the pickup connector broke. No big deal, the connector seats pretty firm, and there's really no room for it to back off. Fished around and got the broken plastic piece out of there. So, that went reasonably well. My only worry was over torquing the screws holding the module. I tend to want to make things REALLY tight.
Next the coil. This was the pain. I bought a Mallory. It's a well made unit that's completely unsuitable for my use. It came with it's own cap, and the cap fit over the outside of the top of the distributor cap. This decreased the space between the cap and the spark plug terminals by the width of the plastic, about 1/8" I'd guess. But that's not the worst of it. There's an over hang that covers the terminals that doesn't come off. Putting the plug wires on with this thing in place would be impossible. The only way to do it would be put the wires on, then put the coil on. Not for me, no thanks. So, off to Summit Racing to return it.
Summit Racing is great, and they didn't give me any trouble. BUT, there was a car show, a big car show, and I didn't have time to stay and look. So, I parked across the street and fought the crowds to get a trade. I got a Pertronics, seemed decent enough.
Came home popped it in, put the wires on, and she started right up. I only had time for a short cruise. So, I haven't had time to heat it up good and be sure it's fixed, but I'm pretty optimistic.
Thanks for the help.
Posted on: 2008/6/16 1:47

bogus Re: Update, parts in, it runs.
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Pertronixs is big in the Ford world. They make an electronic ignition conversion for old school points/condenser systems. It has a great rep.

Sucks when you ride by a car show can can't stop...

Glad you got it running, tho!!!

I would expect it to be fine.
Posted on: 2008/6/16 1:53

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

DaleD Re: Update, parts in, it runs.
Senior Guru
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
1389 Posts

Especially when the car show is right where you were going in the first place! There was a 57 Chevy I got a glimpse of, someone painted it Atomic Orange, the hood was open, total chrome under the hood, it was gorgeous! Lots of deals, and cool stuff going on, didn't make me happy to have to rush so I could get home, and go to dinner with friends. Oh well, there will be others.

Yeah, I think it will be good. It felt good on the test drive. I'm going to drive her to work tomorrow.
Posted on: 2008/6/16 2:05

Matatk Re: Update, parts in, it runs.
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Glad you got it running!

I'm debating what to tackle tomorrow - fuel pressure regulator or shocks....

Matthew
Posted on: 2008/6/16 3:24

DaleD Re: Update, parts in, it runs.
Senior Guru
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
1389 Posts

I've done shocks. I know those are pretty easy. The cleaning took the most time.

Can't tell you about an afpr. When you do that, let me know how difficult it is.
Posted on: 2008/6/16 3:26

BillH Re: Update, parts in, it runs.
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
Pertronixs is big in the Ford world. They make an electronic ignition conversion for old school points/condenser systems. It has a great rep.

I've done some Pertronix conversions on Ford 4 cyls. with extremely good results v.s. the points. These motors get the timing set at 4,000 rpm. With points, the timing mark jumps around quite a bit, with the Pertronix, it's dead steady.
Posted on: 2008/6/16 14:43

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.