Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
303 user(s) are online (257 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Regular Production Order
Commonly known as RPO. These are the codes that GM uses to identify options.

For example, LT1 is the RPO for the engine used from 1992-1996.

Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

UK_Moe_Vet Radio wiring info for a 92 Vette
Guru
UK
80 Posts

Dear all

First of all - thanks for all your help to date (this is a great site)

When I picked up my 92 Vette back in March there was no radio in her. Must admit listening to the engine is music enough for me but my girl insisted I remedy this if we're driving across Europe (so I reluctantly have). The good folks whom got her running last March said there was little chance of easily putting a stock GM Radio back in as there has already been modifications for an after-market (3rd party) radio. So be it (only good ones I could find on ebay were $600 US).

So I now have a Double Din 7" touchscreen Radio/CD/TV/GPS/Rear Camera/USB etc etc etc system and am tracking down a shop whom can install it for me. GPS will be handy for Europe (has all maps) and rear camera WILL be handy too (not the easiest car I have ever backed into a parking space with!). I was hoping I could trouble you guys for some insights on the 92 Vette's radio wiring - you see the new system is all RCA (male/female) plugs so the existing wiring will need to be modified further. (Here is a link to the radio on EBAY - about half way down it shows a picture of this units rear wiring)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dl ... eName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=015

If I had the old radio I imagine the wiring would have been diagrammed on the top of the Delco radio (but not an option for me I'm afraid) so I imagine if someone could direct me to the wiring of the 92 Vette's speakers (as they go into the back of the radio so appropriate counter RCA cables can be fit for the installation).

MANY MANY THANKS

PS - Also I imagine some insights on how to remove the console covers so as to gain access to the radio bay would make the installers job easier (and my fears of them damaging the car more manageable). The Delco Speakers are self powered I understand - are they tricky to hook up to non-stock stereos.

PSS and insights on how to remove the Center console (as it requires restoration and wiring up of the stereo's various AV inputs/outputs) would also be greatly appreciated
Posted on: 2008/7/15 13:04
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Matatk Re: Radio wiring info for a 92 Vette
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

I will post some general information because I'm not 100% familiar with the 92. For wire colors, check out this site - I have used it in the past with good results.

http://www.installdr.com/Harnesses/GM-Wiring.pdf

I'm not guaranteeing it's perfect, but it's a good guide. A competent stereo shop should have no trouble with it, so I don't know why you are worried.

As far as the RCA cables in the auction you listed, those appear to be for the video portion mainly. If you look at the picture, there is a black square outlet in the back with a fuse under it - that's where the standard wiring will go. You can see the bundle of colored wires in the picture below it. You won't use all RCAs, but you could use them if you have an amp to go with it that accepts RCA inputs.

There will be an instruction manual with the head unit that details the install.

Another thing is I would replace all of the speakers while you are in there. Assuming you had the bose system, the speakers will not function properly because the impedence is different than standard speakers. And if not, I'd replace them anyway with something of better quality.

Someone with a 92 will have to give you advice on removing the interior, because I have the digidash era vette.

Good luck,

Matthew
Posted on: 2008/7/15 13:20

BillH Re: Radio wiring info for a 92 Vette
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

If your speakers are the powered Bose, they should say Bose on the grills of the rear speakers, if they say Delco, they're the standard ones. If they're the Bose, replace them.
The Bose speakers have extra power and ground wires to each speaker. I can give you the color codes out of the FSM when you figure out which you have.

To pull the console, open the arm rest, pull the bottom screws on the hinge. The armrest light wires will be attached but you can lay the armrest in the rear compartment without removing them. Some of the screws for the console trim are hidden by the carpet and under the cupholder/ashtray and at the front of the trim under the radio.
The screws for the shift boot can be removed without pulling the shift knob but it's a little hard to see them.
Remove the upper A/C vent above the radio.
The bottom radio bezel has a couple of screws and 2 pushin spring pins towards the top. Remove the screws and carefully wiggle the bezel spring pins out of their holes.

While you're in there, there's a pink wire under the console trim that is the power wire to the antenna relay. If you splice a small toggle switch in and hide it in the console, you can keep the antenna down when playing CD's.
Posted on: 2008/7/15 14:19

bogus Re: Radio wiring info for a 92 Vette
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

This needs to be in audio. There is a C4 Audio FAQ there that will help, too.
Posted on: 2008/7/16 5:17

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

UK_Moe_Vet Re: Radio wiring info for a 92 Vette
Guru
UK
80 Posts

Dearn All

Thanks so very much for your responses (sorry for not putting this in c4 audio). You have been greatly helpful - sounds like the BOSE Gold are crap and should be replaced. The one's I have are

DELCO GOLD BOSE SERIES.

If the previous owner had a 3rd party radio - would it stand to reason that the existing speaker layout should work (or may have already been altered?

I am just as happy to replace the speakers all the same if the results are worth it.

The radio was shipped from Bejing - the instructions are minimal at best and the last car radio I tried to wire had an 8 track in it (forgive me for not noticing the RCA jacks were ALL for 3rd party speaker wiring - I really should have noticed the main plug - good job I am not trying to fit this !)

Thanx again all - really do appreciate your time
Posted on: 2008/7/17 9:48

Matatk Re: Radio wiring info for a 92 Vette
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

If the previous owner had an aftermarket radio already there is a good chance the speakers were aftermarket, as well. The installer will be able to tell the difference. That is, of course, assuming that the PO didn't use a speaker adapter harness available for the bose systems. I doubt he did though, it's not super common, AFAIK.

Matthew
Posted on: 2008/7/17 13:14

BillH Re: Radio wiring info for a 92 Vette
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Wiring colors for the 92 from the Bose preamp to the speakers are:
Left Front - + Tan
ground - Dr.Green
Right Front - + Lt.Green
ground - Dr. Green
In the FSM, both DR. Green wires are spliced together before they go into the preamp. You probably should separate them to hook into the new unit.
At the speakers there will also be an orange (hot) and a black wire for the Bose speaker amp, don't use tham.

Left rear- + Dr.Blue
ground - Lt. Blue
Right Rear- + Brown
ground - yellow.
Again, the Lt. Blue and Yellow grounds (probably "commons" is a better word) are spliced at the preamp and should be separated.
Orange and black amp wires as above.
All the grounds would go to the minus, speaker outputs on the new unit and tha +'s would go to the positive speaker outputs.
Posted on: 2008/7/17 15:15

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.