Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
294 user(s) are online (257 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
 Register To Post

Matatk Thursday Chat 07.24.08
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Good morning CGs!

How is everyone's day so far? Supposed to be a nice weather day here. I believe around 81 and sunny. Sounds like swimming weather. Nice.

Everyone getting geared up for the weekend? I wish I could have a four day work week. What a great life that would be. Three day weekends every week. I guess I have to become my own boss to do that.

Seems like there was a post explosion yesterday. I'm gonna have to go through them all and see what it's all about.

Hope everyone has a great day.

Matthew
Posted on: 2008/7/24 13:15

CSS996 Re: Thursday Chat 07.24.08
Mega Guru
Central PA
3644 Posts

Good Morning Gurus!

Despite the fact that I frequently share too much info about my life on these forums, I am about to do it again. I'll try to make it as brief as possible. And by all means, feel free to totally ignore this whole self-absorbed mess.

I found out last Friday that the production department for the company I work for is being restructured.

Currently there are two of us in my market. A guy in Pueblo, and myself. We both used to work in Pueblo (and we both live just outside of Pueblo), but I volunteered to take the position in Colorado Springs, when it became available. It is about 40 miles to the north. I've been making that commute since '04. About an hour one way, every day.

The restructuring means that there will only be one producer position available in my market. So I have three choices.

1) Apply for the position I have, but the job description will be different. (better for me, actually. More writing, less editing, less structure)

2) Take a position in Denver ( A two hour commute. My wife will not even consider moving north)

3) Take a severance package, and look for other work.

I am mostly interested in option one, but so is the other guy. So we may end up competing for that position. The deal where I might have another job lined up shooting a reality TV show is still out there, so the severance package might be cool. I could get PAID to take this other job! The Denver position basically means that I become separated from my wife, which she actually is cool with, but I'm not. I'd really be messed up without my kids around. Things are still weird at home. Getting a little better, but weird.

So, anyway, I am living day-to-day and attempting to concentrate on my job until I know what the hell is going to happen to me. I have lots of questions that my big boss is getting answers for. I will talk to him next week, and hopefully be closer to a decision.

At least two of the options are actually pretty exciting. And I am pretty much guaranteed a job with the company, but taking a Denver position would be very difficult for my family situation.

We shall see what happens!

If you made it this far, then thanks for your time, and have a super day!
Posted on: 2008/7/24 14:38

bastet44 Re: Thursday Chat 07.24.08
Webmaster
San Pedro, CA
1389 Posts

It's an interesting day in the office with practically everything in boxes. On my agenda today is lunch, and a conference call at 2p.

Hope everyone has a great day!
Posted on: 2008/7/24 14:41
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Webmaster
San Pedro, CA
1389 Posts

Good luck with your job decisions. It is at least nice to know that your company likes you! =)
Posted on: 2008/7/24 14:43

Webmaster
San Pedro, CA
1389 Posts

Word of the Day for Thursday, July 24, 2008

melange
\may-LAHNZH\
noun

A mixture; a medley.

Interspersed with diverse lectures and classroom activities were periods of financial difficulty, military service, and employment as a private tutor, all of which added to the curious melange of experiences that would ultimately blossom into his unexpected and remarkable life's work.
-- Norman Brosterman, Inventing Kindergarten

The smell in the car . . . was a pungent, sour melange of garlic, unwashed bodies, vodka, musty woolen overcoats, and Bulgarian tobacco.
-- Fen Montaigne, Reeling in Russia
Posted on: 2008/7/24 14:45

biggrizzly Re: Thursday Chat 07.24.08
2011 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4543 Posts

Hey all, good morning
We had a line of storms come through last night and it is most beautiful this morning. Little humidity and cool air, at least for now. I wish I could take the time off today to go work on my car. I got the headers sitting in a box behind the car just waiting for good weather.

CSS996 - Be wary of the severance unless you have something really good already lined up. Four years ago I took a severance that I had been building for 21 years with Westinghouse, which is now Northrup Grummman. I took the money and moved back north because my wife needed to get closer to family and find better IT job opportunities. Anyhow, what I thought was a huge chunk of change became a little pile of change after taxes and moving expenses and then moving to a higher cost of living area.

I know you are not moving or anything, but still that severance can't last forever and nothing beats a solid paycheck coming in.

My 2Cents Been there, done that.
Good Luck in your choices - I hope no. 1 works out for you.
Posted on: 2008/7/24 14:57

CentralCoaster Re: Thursday Chat 07.24.08
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Ah, ok, I thought this was severance...

Resized Image
Posted on: 2008/7/24 15:38

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.