Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
297 user(s) are online (241 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Seats
Both could be power, neither could be.

However, if they are, they should move fore/aft and up down with little more than an electric motor whine....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

Flashman My Journey to perfection with a neglected C4 Corvette
Senior Guru
Tampa Bay, Florida
174 Posts

Hello All,

I have a long & interesting story to share with you. Its about a 1986 Black Corvette named Frankenstein. My wife named him Frankie for short. I purchased the car on ebay for 3500 on 12-30-06. The car had a brand new built up engine built by Napa. They put in a comp cam. .030 pistons, injectors, headwork etc. They guy that was selling the car did not do the work. Previous owner did it. The only problem is that the car would not shift out of first gear. 700R4 auto transmission. The kid that owned figured it needed a transmission. The car was faded and needed paint and interior work. Cracked winshield etc. But I figured the engine alone was worth 3500.

I drove/tested the car and it felt fast in first gear. But, seeing thru all the dirt, spider webs & broken parts, I just had to save this Corvette. I had a vison for it. I trailed the car home across the state and started working on it. I thought I may have to replace the transmission but the fluid was pink and not brown & burnt.So, I talked to an old friend on mine that was an auto mechanic for GM for 25 years. He only worked on Corvettes from 1970 to 1995. He told me that if your 700R4 auto transmission will not shift out of first gear, you need to check the Governor gear. Its located on the drivers side of the tranmission behind a metal bubble cap. If that gear is worn or broken it will not shift out of first gear. I popped the cap off and the gear was in pieces. I dropped the pan, replaced the gear, I also had to replace the plug for the lock up convertor because it was broken off.I changed the fluid and the transmission shifts beautiful. Now, the deal just got better. Napa did not install the engine the owner that got it rebuilt did. What a frigging jackas.. The car was running like crap and would not keep an idle. I replaced all the dry broken vacuum lines, tune up etc. But this guy left bolts loose and missing. I am talking big bolts, ac, alternator etc. They did a real half as.ed job. They were probably drunk or on drugs like half the people that live in Florida.

Anyway, I just got done painting Frankie, new interior,weather stripping, lights, wheels and just finished the new air conditioning system this weekend. I still could not get the car to idle correctly but I found the problems. The inside plug was broken for the IAC valve and the plug was broken for the coolant tempature sender.I installed new plugs,new wire loom and finished the car right.I also got rid of that leaking metal heater control valve and installed my own heater control system. I got a pretty good deal, but I worked my as. off for it. I am into the car for just under 10k. The reason I am telling you all this is that I am never gonna sell it. So, all in all I feel that I now own an almost new 1986 Black C4 Corvette. Its been a long Journey, but I made it. Take Care.

Joe-Flash man
Posted on: 2008/7/29 2:40
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Notorious Re: My Journey to perfection with a neglected C4 Corvette
Elite Guru
Downbound train, NC
2184 Posts

Sounds like you've done a top-notch job. Congrats!
Posted on: 2008/7/29 3:05

Matatk Re: My Journey to perfection with a neglected C4 Corvette
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Car looks great and I love reading stories like this. Makes you bond with the car so much more when you do the work.

Matthew
Posted on: 2008/7/29 13:32

biggrizzly Re: My Journey to perfection with a neglected C4 Corvette
2011 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4543 Posts

Flashman,

Great story! We need lots of pics of that new paint too!
Posted on: 2008/7/29 14:38

Flashman Re: My Journey to perfection with a neglected C4 Corvette
Senior Guru
Tampa Bay, Florida
174 Posts

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the compliments. Yeah, that car and I are a team now. I will take some pics this weekend. Although I am not yet done with the paint yet. I need to give it one last wetsand and buff that baby out. I still have a few odds and ends to fix. But, I think I am gonna take a break for now. I have been working on that car constantly, and I am getting a little burnt out. I will post pics soon. Take care.

Joe-Flash man
Posted on: 2008/7/30 2:55

bogus Re: My Journey to perfection with a neglected C4 Corvette
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Sweet!!!!!

Now... get that sucker insured! That same drug addled Florida population drive!! And many of them are old and can't see the hood ornament!!!
Posted on: 2008/7/30 5:16

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Senior Guru
Tampa Bay, Florida
174 Posts

Hello,

Yeah, there are alot of rear end accidents down here. People dont pay attention on the road, whether its the elderly, or vacationers or drunks. I always keep an eye in my rearview mirror when I am stopped at a light. In 1999 I got rear ended in my delivery van by a lady that was doing 65 mph in a full size chevy pick up. She passed out and floored it. Never hitting her brakes. She totaled my van but the weight I had on the van helped with some of the impact. Saved the infant in the car seat in the front vehicle because I tried to hold back the impact as much as I could. Ripped open my fuel tank and all. Someone was watching over me that day, because I am still here to tell the story. Take care.

Joe-Flash Man
Posted on: 2008/7/30 13:38

Oaklands Re: My Journey to perfection with a neglected C4 Corvette
Senior Guru
Morristown, TN
480 Posts

Congrats on the fix-up. Now you have much more than a $3500 vette!!
Posted on: 2008/7/31 2:10

C4DERF Re: My Journey to perfection with a neglected C4 Corvette
Senior Guru
Home of the Masters; well Grovetown is close
332 Posts

Another love story with a great future! Like mentioned before, get her insured and post more photos!
Posted on: 2008/8/1 0:39

[IMG]http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s150/c4derf/CasualCorvettes-SonicAug07011.jpg[/IMG]

Senior Guru
Tampa Bay, Florida
174 Posts

Hello Gentleman,

Thanks for the kind words. The car has to be cut and buffed, but I will give it a decent buff and take some pics this weekend and post them. I did wet sand it, but its not perfect yet. Still looks good though. Yes, I have to check and see how much I have that car insured for. I insured it a year before the restoration. Thanks for the reminder, Take care.

Joe-Flash man
Posted on: 2008/8/1 2:16

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.