Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
125 user(s) are online (66 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
 Register To Post

vetteblondie "96 outer door/window seal
Master Guru
Jonesboro, AR
4675 Posts

Is there a thread someplace that shows how to do this? I've done the weatherstripping already, none of that came with directions I figured it out. But am not quite sure where to start with this....
Thanks!
Posted on: 2008/8/11 16:02

Yes, I'm a bitch... just not YOURS.

Resized Image
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

CentralCoaster Re: "96 outer door/window seal
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

I've never seen a writeup, but I've done it.

Pull door panel, Drill rivets out on both ends, (use a piece of rubber hose over the bit to prevent your drill from going in too far).

Then there's some pesky clips down the center that dig into the door. Pry those off with a screwdriver.

Push the new piece into place. You sort of put it underneath the door and work the clips into place, the rubber will slip up and over the top of the door edge. Undo any parts that folded under.

Be careful to locate it properly front to rear, it's hard to move after instaling it.

The rivets supplied by ecklers (1/2"?) were too long, I had to go to the hardware store for some shorter ones. (3/8"?)

I would recommend aluminum rivets, not steel. You're just riveting it into the door panel

The new piece will put extra presssure on the window, especially if it's not pushed up fully into place, but that's usually not an issue unless you have the crappy 84-86 ribbon type regulators that break easy.

If its too tight you can always loosen the felt pads a bit on the inside of the glass.
Posted on: 2008/8/11 16:26

vetteblondie Re: "96 outer door/window seal
Master Guru
Jonesboro, AR
4675 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
I've never seen a writeup, but I've done it.

Pull door panel, Drill rivets out on both ends, (use a piece of rubber hose over the bit to prevent your drill from going in too far).

Then there's some pesky clips down the center that dig into the door. Pry those off with a screwdriver.

Push the new piece into place. You sort of put it underneath the door and work the clips into place, the rubber will slip up and over the top of the door edge. Undo any parts that folded under.

Be careful to locate it properly front to rear, it's hard to move after instaling it.

The rivets supplied by ecklers (1/2"?) were too long, I had to go to the hardware store for some shorter ones. (3/8"?)

I would recommend aluminum rivets, not steel. You're just riveting it into the door panel

The new piece will put extra presssure on the window, especially if it's not pushed up fully into place, but that's usually not an issue unless you have the crappy 84-86 ribbon type regulators that break easy.

If its too tight you can always loosen the felt pads a bit on the inside of the glass.

Thanks very much!!!
Posted on: 2008/8/11 16:51

Resized Image

Qack Re: "96 outer door/window seal
Senior Guru
Raleigh, NC
274 Posts

Posted on: 2008/8/12 12:47

Master Guru
Jonesboro, AR
4675 Posts

WOW! Much thanks!

But oh my that looks like sooooo much of PITA... :shaking:
Posted on: 2008/8/12 17:53

Resized Image

NEVRL8T Re: "96 outer door/window seal
Guru
Little Rock, AR
74 Posts

Its not bad at all. Takes more time to take the panels off and replace them than it does to install the window sweeps.
Posted on: 2008/8/12 19:27

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Great way to F up your door panel in that article...

Resized Image
Posted on: 2008/8/12 19:29

Qack Re: "96 outer door/window seal
Senior Guru
Raleigh, NC
274 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
Great way to F up your door panel in that article...

Resized Image

Well, it does say use extreme caution ...

I've been saving this web page and have already purchased the seals, but haven't gotten around to installing them yet. I really like your recommendation to use a piece of rubber hose over the bit. I have used a rubber band to act as a guide, but your way sounds like a much, much better technique -- it's more than a guide, it's a non-marring and slim safety stop. Thanks!
Posted on: 2008/8/12 19:51

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Even the rubber hose can compress as the bit pulls in and cause you to take a bite out of it.

I'd use something harder if you have anything, plastic or metal or something. If you use hose, make the hose piece longer than you think you need it, use the smallest that'll fit the bit, and still use extreme caution.
Posted on: 2008/8/12 20:27

NEVRL8T Re: "96 outer door/window seal
Guru
Little Rock, AR
74 Posts

Or use a piece of rubber fuel line but be sure and drill straight. The fuel line is thick enough you won't compress it.
Posted on: 2008/8/16 1:21

Master Guru
Jonesboro, AR
4675 Posts

Ok, I'm skeert. But, will give it a try as soon as this freelance job is over that I'm in the middle of, Thanks very much guys, really appreciated!!!
Posted on: 2008/8/16 3:30

Resized Image

CorvetteArchives Re: "96 outer door/window seal
Guru Newb
65 Posts

Have you done this yet?!?
One word of caution...when you put the new one on you will probably have to push rather hard..MAKE SURE DOOR IS WELL SUPPORTED! I bent my door hinge! Sure it was 20 years old and kinda weak already...but I made more work for myself and more $!
Posted on: 2008/9/9 2:36

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.