Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
307 user(s) are online (256 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Bowling Green
Bowling Green, KY, is the location of the Corvette assembly plant since 1981. From 1954-1981, Corvettes were assembled in St Louis, MO.

The Natio...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

UK_Moe_Vet Replacing the carpet
Guru
UK
80 Posts

Dear All

First off - thanks for any replies you may add for me to this question.

I am still in the midst of restore my 92 Vette and the carpet in there is the light grey (it is just too mucky to be salvaged so I am opting to replace it outright)

Is there a brand anyone can recommend (just want it to look like factory) I have found this on ebay - sounds right to me but wanted to hear from you all before I purchase it (thanks)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBa ... ewitem=&item=150283659135

Sounds like it is pre-moulded so should do the job OK ...

I plan to have a professional auto re-apolsterer install the carpet for me in the UK and was wondering on your views to the following thoughts

I was planning to replace the carpet in BLACK - this leaves me with the problem of the grey interior (ie backs of seats, cargo area moulding, door panels etc. I am not big on the idea of replacing all these parts with the proper black equivalent as this will surely add up.

So .... I was thinking that the same guys whom install the carpet might know how to paint the various plastic moulding bits and trim black as well. What do you think?

Don't want it to look like the dogs dinner - can this sort of thing be done properly or am I dreamin?

as always - greatly appreciate your time
Posted on: 2008/9/15 19:44
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

CSS996 Re: Replacing the carpet
Mega Guru
Central PA
3644 Posts

I've seen Vette's with black carpet and tan seats. Didn't look bad at all. Looked a bit like a Ferrari 308, actually. Are your seats rubbish?

If not, maybe just leave 'em? What else is grey? Interior door handles? Maybe just look for used pieces?

I know I've seen plenty of kids with their Honda Civic's interior painted yellow or red. Looks pretty cheezy, and the paint looks like it would come off in your hand, but I suppose someone has come up with a way to do it right. I'd still look for used pieces though.

Best of luck with the conversion!
Posted on: 2008/9/15 20:36

CorvetteArchives Re: Replacing the carpet
Guru Newb
65 Posts

I have painted my rear speakers and roof brackets silver so I dont see why you cant paint your's black. BUT I have a better idea!
Paint wears away and can look bad quickly even if properly prepped. I have had great success with using DYE to restore my black parts with "Forever Black" http://www.foreverblack.com/ It just cant wear...ever! Some people I recommended it to HAVE changed some exterior panels on their Honda Element from grey to black.
Just like proper painting it is necessary to remove all grease and oil.
BTW, I think it might look cool to leave some of the parts Grey! Black and grey look great together. Why not just selectively things like the door panel carpet and leave the upper grey?
Posted on: 2008/9/15 20:44

Matatk Re: Replacing the carpet
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

I don't know who makes that carpet set, but most people have had very good luck with Wilcox.

Matthew
Posted on: 2008/9/15 22:03

CentralCoaster Re: Replacing the carpet
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

I have a graphite(dark grey) interior, and damn I'm impressed that the carpet has held up this long.

It really hasn't faded much, and with the dark gray, it's hard to tell, and hard to see dirt, and this is a car with cheap tint that's hasn't been garaged for most of its life. On the other hand, I've seen some cheap replacement carpets that faded in no time.

I'd recommend the dark grey vs. black. And a little less heat in the summer too.

A dark grey/light grey combo would look much better than black/light grey IMO.
Posted on: 2008/9/15 23:14

bogus Re: Replacing the carpet
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Wilcox is considered the leader.
Posted on: 2008/9/16 3:22

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

UK_Moe_Vet Re: Replacing the carpet
Guru
UK
80 Posts

Thanks all for the great advise !!!!

Sounds like Wilcox would be the right choice then (only want to make this decision once so better asking you good folks than just praying it will be right) - not to say that praying is still not a good option - saved my ass many times !!!

Also great input on possible colour combinations - light grey with black carpet may look nice too - just did not want it to look too much like a hybrid (as I luv all the interior combinations GM saw fit to put together)

thanx again
Posted on: 2008/9/16 16:21

Evelyn Re: Replacing the carpet
Guru Newb
Ontario Canada
7 Posts

I purchased my carpet set (87 vette) from Mid America Motorworks in the states. Perfect fit and looks great. I installed it myself without any problems. My carpet was black and I went to grey. Looks much cleaner and more attractive than the black(in my opinion). I have black floor mats with the vette emblem and lettering and they look great on the grey carpet
Posted on: 2009/8/28 13:40

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.