Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
342 user(s) are online (284 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
 Register To Post

rsawyer84 ADLD Cable 84 Corvette
Guru Newb
Trenton MI
38 Posts

can anyone point me to where i can get a cable for the diagnostic port for an 84 corvette and then hook it to a computer via usb. i see some past posts but the people i have emailed say that they do not make for 84 different ecm.
I want to do some fine tuning myself, please help!!
Posted on: 2008/9/22 0:58

bogus Re: ADLD Cable 84 Corvette
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

you are not going to do any tuning for the 84 via the cable. all you will do with the cable is read... and if you are not careful, the older ECUs can bog down from being scanned.

There are ECU upgrades available... from GM of all places. The later vintage truck ECUs, with a little bit of wiring mods, will work great.

You see, the 1984 ECU ran at 15 instructions per second (IPS), whereas the later truck unit ran at over 150 IPS!!! That improvement will really help with tuning.

I am sure others more knowledgeable than I can help you better.
Posted on: 2008/9/22 1:34

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

anesthes Re: ADLD Cable 84 Corvette
Master Guru
Boston, MA
646 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
you are not going to do any tuning for the 84 via the cable. all you will do with the cable is read... and if you are not careful, the older ECUs can bog down from being scanned.

There are ECU upgrades available... from GM of all places. The later vintage truck ECUs, with a little bit of wiring mods, will work great.

You see, the 1984 ECU ran at 15 instructions per second (IPS), whereas the later truck unit ran at over 150 IPS!!! That improvement will really help with tuning.

I am sure others more knowledgeable than I can help you better.

Have a source for those numbers?

The later stuff ('730 ECM for example) is based on the 68HC11 processor. While the clock is 2mhz (2 million cycles per second) the instruction set takes different amount of cycles per instruction to execute. While on average it takes about 3-4 cycles per instruction, that leaves an average of about a half million instructions per second.. Compared to 15 and 150, that seems. Light years faster.

-- Joe
Posted on: 2008/9/22 1:57

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I did some research on those IPS numbers...

In this case, "instructions" should have been "adjustments."

Either way, my number is way low. It is 80 per second on the 82 xfire. I don't have a number for 84, but I am sure it's higher.
Posted on: 2008/9/22 5:35

Master Guru
Boston, MA
646 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
I did some research on those IPS numbers...

In this case, "instructions" should have been "adjustments."

Either way, my number is way low. It is 80 per second on the 82 xfire. I don't have a number for 84, but I am sure it's higher.

Oh.. Crap.. I wouldn't even know without reading the code.

Either way we can say xfire ecm's are garbage.

Dominic ran a modified '747 I think before he sold his car.
I think a '749 can do crossfire too as it has 4 low-z drivers.

-- Joe
Posted on: 2008/9/22 11:06

rsawyer84 Re: ADLD Cable 84 Corvette
Guru Newb
Trenton MI
38 Posts

Thanks for the input... can someone direct me on the upgraded ecm that i should get that will work with my 84?
Posted on: 2008/9/22 13:21

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

As I understand it, the ECU all the way up to 1991 will run a crossfire. It's the same basic instruction set, it's just faster.
Posted on: 2008/9/22 14:37

Master Guru
Boston, MA
646 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
As I understand it, the ECU all the way up to 1991 will run a crossfire. It's the same basic instruction set, it's just faster.

I don't think the '727 has any low-z injector drivers though.
I know the '730 does not for sure. TBI is low-z.

-- Joe
Posted on: 2008/9/23 2:13

Schrade Re: ADLD Cable 84 Corvette
Elite Guru
eastern NC / e-i-e-i-o
1909 Posts

Your ECM will have to come from an '86 or later. That was the first year read AND write commands for the ECM was possible.
Posted on: 2008/9/23 3:07

Resized Image

Master Guru
Boston, MA
646 Posts

Quote:

Blade_1 wrote:
Your ECM will have to come from an '86 or later. That was the first year read AND write commands for the ECM was possible.

Oh?

-- Joe
Posted on: 2008/9/23 10:35

Elite Guru
eastern NC / e-i-e-i-o
1909 Posts

:sigh-shit:

Yes Joe; bidirectional control started in '86.

If anybody ELSE wants to see it, I'll post up the source.

It WON'T be posted for YOU.

And since we've been through this before, did you ever set straight the writer of the tech article in the that I gave you after I posted up THAT source? Did you get a response from them after you set them straight?

Would you post their response here, that they sent to you, from after you set them straight?

:shit-sigh:
Posted on: 2008/9/23 11:37

Resized Image

Elite Guru
eastern NC / e-i-e-i-o
1909 Posts

Quote:

anesthes wrote:

Have a source for those numbers?

The later stuff ('730 ECM for example) is based on the 68HC11 processor. While the clock is 2mhz (2 million cycles per second) the instruction set takes different amount of cycles per instruction to execute. While on average it takes about 3-4 cycles per instruction, that leaves an average of about a half million instructions per second.. Compared to 15 and 150, that seems. Light years faster.

-- Joe

Well, at least you question everybody with equal disrespect; gotta' give ya' that...
Posted on: 2008/9/23 11:59

Resized Image

Master Guru
Boston, MA
646 Posts

Quote:

Blade_1 wrote:

Yes Joe; bidirectional control started in '86.

If anybody ELSE wants to see it, I'll post up the source.

It WON'T be posted for YOU.

What the heck are you talking about? Bidirectional control?

Are you talking about the mystical ALDL MODE-4? That doesn't work because the prom is not flashable from inside the ECM. To make it work you need the NVRAM hack from SSmonteslow:

http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/diy ... via.html?highlight=nvsram

So while modifying an ECM might be fun, you cannot make calibration changes through the ALDL with a stock 86+ ECM..

Quote:

Blade_1 wrote:

And since we've been through this before, did you ever set straight the writer of the tech article in the that I gave you after I posted up THAT source? Did you get a response from them after you set them straight?

Would you post their response here, that they sent to you, from after you set them straight?

:shit-sigh:

Are you talking about the fuel pump diagram? Yeah I emailed them, and never got a response back.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showt ... ump+redundant+fuel&page=3

-- Joe
Posted on: 2008/9/23 12:09

Master Guru
Boston, MA
646 Posts

Quote:

Blade_1 wrote:

Well, at least you question everybody with equal disrespect; gotta' give ya' that...

So it's wrong to question something posted as fact?

As you can see from the followup, he corrected himself.

This is supposed to be the GURU site right?

-- Joe
Posted on: 2008/9/23 12:10

Alcee1 Re: ADLD Cable 84 Corvette
Guru Emeritus
Los Angeles
277 Posts

Posted on: 2008/9/23 12:37
Edlebrock Heads, 2030 cam, X-ram w/EGR, 1.6 R/R, Bored TB´s, AFPR, Pro-built Tranny, Vigilantly 2600, Transgo, Dana 44 3.54, Hardened Pushrods & Head Bolts, Custom performance chip, K&N, Double roller timing chain, Aluminum radiator & flex hose, MS

Elite Guru
eastern NC / e-i-e-i-o
1909 Posts

Quote:

anesthes wrote:
Quote:

Blade_1 wrote:

So it's wrong to question something posted as fact?

As you can see from the followup, he corrected himself.

This is supposed to be the GURU site right?

-- Joe

Questioning something posted as fact is always good. If you know something different, then post it (and you obviously do know alot).

Just saying or implying that something is wrong doesn't mean a damn thing. It doesn't tell or show anybody anything.

If there is conflicting good info, let's get to the bottom of the issue.

Like the fuel pump thing. If I remember the schematic correctly, the OP circuit was in PARALLEL with the FP circuit. Which SEEMS to indicate that OP circuit failure would still allow fuel delivery.

But since I don't know ALL about electrical schematics (like you pointed out thank you), it is not as definitive to me as text in a tech article which IS pretty clear.

Now, as far as ECM read and write capabilities ('give' and 'take' commands/bi-directional control), that started in '86. That's according to MY source. Maybe they're wrong too. But you haven't shown me too much...
Posted on: 2008/9/23 14:35

Resized Image

Master Guru
Boston, MA
646 Posts

Quote:

Blade_1 wrote:

Questioning something posted as fact is always good. If you know something different, then post it (and you obviously do know alot).

That is what I did on the fuel pump thread..

Quote:

Blade_1 wrote:
Just saying or implying that something is wrong doesn't mean a damn thing. It doesn't tell or show anybody anything.

When did I do that? When I read Andy's statement about the IPS I said "hrmm, that sounds wrong but I don't know for sure. Here is why I think so" and illustrated the numbers on the later ECM's. He then realized he made an error in his statement, and we both went on with our lives.

Here you suggested that the '86 up ECM's can do updates via aldl. I responded with "oh?" as in "please enlighten me, I was under the impression that doesn't work. It would have been a nice feature"...

Quote:

Blade_1 wrote:

If there is conflicting good info, let's get to the bottom of the issue.

Like the fuel pump thing. If I remember the schematic correctly, the OP circuit was in PARALLEL with the FP circuit. Which SEEMS to indicate that OP circuit failure would still allow fuel delivery.

But since I don't know ALL about electrical schematics (like you pointed out thank you), it is not as definitive to me as text in a tech article which IS pretty clear.

Ok.. But I pointed it out. And that was about the third time that week I pointed it out. Other members suggested you try for yourself - unplug the OP switch. You 'seemed' to rather be concerned about the text in the magazine than a scientific test.

Quote:

Blade_1 wrote:

Now, as far as ECM read and write capabilities ('give' and 'take' commands/bi-directional control), that started in '86. That's according to MY source. Maybe they're wrong too. But you haven't shown me too much...

Your source is correct that a mode-4 is supposed to exist. It is supposed to allow you to clear DTC codes, enable/disable closen loop, reset IAC, etc (but not change calibration data). Supposedly this works with the GM TECH1. It does not work with my Snapon scanner, nor does it work with other ALDL programs I've used. (specifically to reset DTC codes).

Everyone I've talked to says it does NOT work, however one guy I talked to whom I respect to the highest degree says Mode4 *DOES* work on his 1227730 ECM, so in light of 'solving this mystery' I asked him to elaborate. (because I'd like to use it too).

In regards to changing calibration info (things beyond the GM scope of mode-4) you cannot modify the calibration data through the ALDL even if you do get the mode-4 stuff to work.

Here is a good link regarding what mode-4 is supposed to do:

http://www.andywhittaker.com/ECU/ALDL/tabid/76/Default.aspx

The NVRAM hack is a 2-part thing. It's a source code change in the BIN to allow uploading of CAL DATA via ALDL into some buffer space, and it's adding memory to the ECM for that buffer space. Allows 'realtime' tuning via the ALDL. Personally, I prefer the Ostrich since it will work with damn near any GM ECM that uses a prom.

-- Joe
Posted on: 2008/9/23 15:16

CentralCoaster Re: ADLD Cable 84 Corvette
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

You guys seem to have lots of answers for each other, but not so many for the OP.
Posted on: 2008/9/23 18:43

Elite Guru
eastern NC / e-i-e-i-o
1909 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
You guys seem to have lots of answers for each other, but not so many for the OP.

Who? Me? Answers?

Call me Schultz. I know nothing ('ceptin' what I read).
Resized Image
Posted on: 2008/9/23 19:23

Resized Image

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I actually think that between the various misunderstandings, there is a TON of good info in this thread.

The problem is filtering it out.

I ask all involved to simply reread the "Civility Reminder" thread. It's a sticky. Can't miss it.

All I ask is that the tech threads stay on topic and not degrade into unnecessary chit-chat.
Posted on: 2008/9/24 1:32

Master Guru
Boston, MA
646 Posts

Quote:

rsawyer84 wrote:
can anyone point me to where i can get a cable for the diagnostic port for an 84 corvette and then hook it to a computer via usb. i see some past posts but the people i have emailed say that they do not make for 84 different ecm.
I want to do some fine tuning myself, please help!!

Your best bet is to contact Dominic regarding his silver '84. He ran a '747 ECM with the 'lockers' mod.

Personally, my advice to you would be to repin to a '730 ECM and stick a miniram, singleplane, or HSR o top of it. But if your determined to keep the TBI use the best ECM available.

http://www.dynamicefi.com/

-- Joe
Posted on: 2008/9/24 12:05

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.