Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
296 user(s) are online (283 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Aluminum Powerglide
Automatic Transmission - 2 Speed

1st Gear: 1.76/1.82
2nd Gear: 1.00

- Used in production GM models from 1962 thru 1972.
- 14 Bolt Pan.
- Vac...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
« 1 (2)
 Topic is Locked

jsup Re: Engine swap on the C1
Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Quote:

BeachBum wrote:
Why was only one cylinder head damaged and not the other ? Were all ports damaged or only one ? What about the other ports done via cnc porting, were they okay ? Who determined there was core shift ?

Did somebody at AFR definitely determine the cylinder heads in question had core shift ?

From what I understand, only one head was damage. Yes.

From what I understand, AFR will not even consider looking at the heads to make that determination, they have written them off.

I can be corrected on either or both points.

This really needs to be its own thread, we've hijacked it to oblivion.

I'd like to see lltrevino confirm the above.
Posted on: 2008/11/25 18:55

TonyMamo Re: Engine swap on the C1
Guru
54 Posts

Quote:

jsup wrote:
Quote:

BeachBum wrote:
Why was only one cylinder head damaged and not the other ? Were all ports damaged or only one ? What about the other ports done via cnc porting, were they okay ? Who determined there was core shift ?

Did somebody at AFR definitely determine the cylinder heads in question had core shift ?

From what I understand, only one head was damage. Yes.

From what I understand, AFR will not even consider looking at the heads to make that determination, they have written them off.
I can be corrected on either or both points.

This really needs to be its own thread, we've hijacked it to oblivion.

I'd like to see lltrevino confirm the above.

JSUP....

Stirring up a little AFR controversy I see.....with a minimum grasp on the situation as well as the facts (but posting constantly none the less).

AFR does not (and did not) have coreshift issues as it relates to Lletrivino's problem or issue. Find me a handful of posts/threads where an AFR port design has any type of issues breaking into the water jacket of an as delivered CNC ported head from our factory (which the water jackets mimic the port shape on the opposite side). The only "core shift" issue if you want to call it that was the extra aluminum in the rocker valley of the head due to our tooling getting old at the time (prior to the Eliminator switch over) and when the castings were poured the heads would actually be thicker there. That raised the level of the oil in the spring pockets and valley of the head which some people felt caused other issues. None of that is relevant to this situation however so I wont waste another breath on that.

What I find frustrating is that LLetrevino had made zero attempts to contact me before he complained to the mods on the Corvette forum (stating I was "ignoring him" no less), which prompted me to contact him via PM . Then after I did contact him and thoroughly explained the situation (and why this was NOT a warranty of any kind), I also offered to see if we could help out and possibly repair the head at a nominal cost. Subsequently he never got back to me one way or another and scurried over to this board where the recent complaining has been going on with the help from you (JSUP) egging on the situation out of your not so secret dislike for AFR and what we represent and your very obvious love for controversy and BS. Everyone sees thru you btw....isnt that evident yet?....some are just still amused by it thats all. Hell, I admit I even made a joke to one of my colleagues at AFR that the CF board is boring without you...LOL

BUT....more importantly, back to the matter at hand. I would like to copy and paste my PM response to Lletrevino for all of you to read. I believe it clearly explains why this is not an AFR warranty of any kind and if any "warranty" is to be debated, it most certainly rests in the hands of the shop that modified our heads. This is a black and white very cut and dry situation....its not gray at all and I wouldn't expect any manufacturer of a specialty component to warranty or stand behind someone else's work modifying their component. That's just not the way it works in the world and the more level headed among you have already pointed that out.

PLEASE slowly take the time to read my response to Lletrevino if you plan on commenting on this situation at all, which should have been its own thread btw, and I apologize to the OP for having to post this here, however it needed to be put TO BED in this thread due to all the exposure here it has received.

The first thing I will share is my original response to the mod who contacted about the situation I was only vaguely familiar with...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Mamo @ AFR
Mike,

I have not ignored this customer. Ignoring implies there has been an effort made to communicate with me and this customer has not PM'ed me, nor has he picked up the phone in an attempt to contact me either. I make myself available to everyone.

The only thing I know about this situation is from what I have briefly read (and Im a little gray on this) which involves the fact this customer modified our castings by having someone else port them (and I believe broke into a water jacket which he now blames us for). This type of work obviously nullifies any warranty AFR can offer which would be standard procedure for anybody's product (if I buy a Dart block and grind and modify it to the point it creates a problem I wouldn't expect Dart to warranty to the block because it was my fault for modifying it in the first place....just an example of the point I am making)

That said I would like to hear the specific details of what actually went down and I encourage this customer to contact me directly. I would like to try and work something out in an attempt to make peace but without knowing exactly what Im dealing with its hard to say what AFR may or may not be willing to do to help out.

My phone is 661-705-8508 or a PM would also be fine but I prefer we speak on the phone at this point.

Thanks,
Tony

The next is my response back to Lletrivino who did finally contact me via PM after this was sent to the mods. I start off acknowledging that he had his heads CNC ported at another shop which is the obvious problem here....

Quote:
That's kinda what I thought went down from reading a little of what you posted.

Consider this.....what if the place your head broke thru was always say .040 thick on most of the other castings....none of them would break thru but ALL of them would be extremely thin and long term reliability would always be an issue.

We guarantee our heads with our CNC work because we go thru all the extra trouble to cut our heads like a loaf of bread and make sure we have plenty of aluminum around our port walls based on the shape we CNC into the head (the water jackets are designed around our port designs....not someone else's)

AFR can not be responsible for another shops CNC program that obviously removes alot more material than we do in certain areas. It was up to them to do all the behind the scenes homework that we have invested in our own program (concerning verifying proper wall thickness) and they should have stepped up to the plate and offered you another one of their CNC castings in the event they couldn't weld/repair the one THEIR program broke thru.

That's what we would have done had you purchased our CNC program and had a problem with a port breaking thru into water. You should vent your frustration to the shop that did the CNC work.

How can you reasonably expect us to guarantee someone else's porting work....its no different than if someone buys our heads and grinds on them by hand poking a hole thru one of the ports. In that same situation would you expect AFR to eat the cost of a head and all the machine work involved?? Then think for a minute whats really different in your situation....just because they CNC'ed the same program before doesn't mean it was always right and the bottom line is with most products that you purchase, both performance related and anything else for that matter....if you modify it and have a problem you own it. You relinquish the right to return or warranty it....especially if what you modified created the problem.

What I would be willing to do just to try and help is to see if I can fix it for you and charge you a nominal fee to do so (basically do the work at cost). Perhaps we can repair them but of course I cant make you any promises.

Honestly though, the real company that needs to step up here is the company that did the CNC work. If you conducted a poll and shared this situation with everyone, I bet 75% plus would agree with what I'm saying....maybe more.

We are a stand up company and will warranty anything that we feel is remotely our fault....even gray area's that occasionally come up we stand behind, but this clearly is not a warranty with our company....the real warranty lies with the company that you paid to port your heads. I hope one day you step back and can see and understand that more clearly.

I would like to see if we can fix the heads....contact me next week if your interested in pursuing that.

Thanks,
Tony
661-705-8508

Now I ask you.....being armed with all the facts and perhaps a better understanding of the other side of this situation, can you honestly tell me that this is an AFR warranty issue.

Here's some advice....instead of making trouble and complaining to your cronies on the Internet (which Im convinced far more people get off on than actually resolving their problems), how about making an effort to actually help your cause. In this case for instance by actually picking up the phone or sending me a PM and explain in a friendly concerned voice "Tony....I have your heads and I really like your product but unfortunately I had another shop run their CNC porting program thru them and they broke into water in an area they say is hard to repair....I realize I modified your product and this really isnt a warranty but is there any way you can help me at all?".

You know what....I would have. First by encouraging him to get with the shop who did the work and even personally contacting them to see whats going on....then likely have him send the heads in to see if we couldn't repair it. If it wasn't extremely costly or time consuming we may have done it for free depending on how it was brought to our attention (or even at our internal costs worst case scenario). Guess what....problem solved and now the customer has a set of cylinder heads instead of a $1500 paperweight.

You catch more bees with honey than you do vinegar guys....help yourself by thinking before engaging the typing finger on your favorite Corvette message board. And that go's double for you JSUP because you live for controversy.

Sorry for the long post....nothing like a dramatic entrance I guess (my first post on this site).

Regards,
Tony
Posted on: 2008/11/26 23:00
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

jsup Re: Engine swap on the C1
Elite Guru
1778 Posts

I am not so sure how I became the subject of this, but OK.

Beach Bum is an expert on CNC machines, or so he has positioned in the past.

All I asked were academic questions as to what would and what wouldn't constitute a manufacturer defect, based on his work with CNC machines. Much like I did when Wes had an issue with his Dart product. I had stated that I can be corrected (not saying I was) and posed hypothetical situations.

I appreciate the response, everyone can read it for themselves and decide what they want.
Posted on: 2008/11/26 23:23

BeachBum Re: Engine swap on the C1
Master Guru
751 Posts

My only comment, is I don't have one.... things like this are always difficult and common to all industries. If somebody modifies my CNC or wires in-correctly and blows up the I/O board, I cannot warranty it, but I do help them..... I'll provide the bench repair at parts cost only for example.

But, as I stated early on in this thread, I do agree, you can't really warranty somebody else machining a hole in the cylinder head regardless of the situation.... it never should have gotten that far by the porter. Recognizing a machining problem early on is typically an easy thing to do.

As a note, I am a CNC expert.

Tony, are you going to be at the PRI show next month in Orlando ? I have a couple of customers in the show with my CNC, thus I might fly in..... if you're going to be there, I'll stop by your booth and introduce myself.
Posted on: 2008/11/27 3:29

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3933547 ... chevrolet-corvette/page-1

TonyMamo Re: Engine swap on the C1
Guru
54 Posts

Beach,

I will be attending AETC and directly following the PRI show. Please stop by and say hello....I look forward to showing you the product and a few bells and whistles we have been working on.

I agree with everything you stated by the way and understand that the situation is unfortunate. The company that did the porting should have been honorable and if they were this customer would not be in this position. Also note I did in fact offer to try and fix the heads at a nominal fee assuming we could. The customer never reached out to discuss my offer....only to start unjustified negative commentary on this board instead....very frustrating for us when you care about the product and our customers as much as we do.

Looking forward to meeting you in Orlando...

Cheers,
Tony
Posted on: 2008/11/27 5:54

BrianCunningham Re: Engine swap on the C1
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

Welcome to the forum Tony!
Posted on: 2008/11/27 16:50

PeteK Re: Engine swap on the C1
Nanticoke, Pa
1311 Posts

I have not read through every post here, but I don't like it.
I am tossing the lock on till we can sort it out.
If I am wrong, I will apologize to the op.
Posted on: 2008/11/27 16:55

« 1 (2)
 Topic is Locked
You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.