Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
333 user(s) are online (189 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
 Register To Post

95Vert Bose Radio Replacement
Senior Guru
Aiken, SC
440 Posts

I have a 95 convertible with the Bose factory radio with CD.

Of course the CD doesn't work so I need to engage some sort of fix.
1. I can have the Bose fixed entailing removal.
2. I can remove the Bose replacing it with something else and put the Bose on the shelf for originality with all the other pieces I have to tear out or I can dump them.

I'm leaning towards option 2. On the Corvette Forum, someone asked this question and a link was given to answers by Andy (Bogus) and CentralCoaster. So I thought I'd go to the luminaries here and get the answer directly as the link was really old.

I'd like to get references to Eclipse Head Units and proper speakers. I'm not looking for concert quality...its a convertible. Just good sound with ability to hook up an Ipod and the ability to hear the speakers with the top down. How many speakers do I need? New wiring? Do I need an amp? Do I need some sort of 1.5Din adapter kit? Do I need to wire in new plugs to hook up a new radio?

Cost effective and simple would be preferable as I intend to do this myself.

Ralf W.
Posted on: 2009/1/4 4:41
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

bogus Re: Boase Radio Replacement
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

well, to be honest, not much has changed since I wrote that FAQ.

The brands that are good are still good. I do like the Eclipse 7200 head. Looks like a great piece. Eclipse heads are real nice for SQ, too.

Speakers? Gee... CDT, Polk, Boston, JL Audio, Merrill, Diamond Audio come to mind.
Posted on: 2009/1/4 5:42

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

bogus Re: Boase Radio Replacement
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Moved to Audio.
Posted on: 2009/1/4 5:43

95Vert Re: Bose Radio Replacement
Senior Guru
Aiken, SC
440 Posts

Wow, I haven't seen this section before. Cool!
Posted on: 2009/1/4 17:01

Matatk Re: Bose Radio Replacement
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

Ralf -

If you are looking for the easiest solution that will take the least amount of install time, take out your cd player, send it to Dr Don to get fixed, then put it back in. The problem is that you will still have the bose speakers and amps which will eventually fail. I can't say that they will fail immediately, but based on others' experiences, they will ultimately fail and you will need to repair them.

The second option is that you can remove the stereo and replace it with an aftermarket unit and use an adapter for the bose speakers (because they have their own amps) that adjusts the impedence sent to the speakers. You then have the same issue as above by using the bose speakers.

Final option is to remove the radio and bose speakers. You will need to run new speaker cable under the carpet and into the speaker locations. The speaker pods on 90+ are in the footwells so I'm not sure how intricate the removal is, Andy can chime in. I'm currently working on my 89 and have about 8 hours into it so far. For speakers, head unit, wiring, etc you can get a nice package under $500 if you do the work yourself. Many good brands out there. Get a shop to do it and expect to get spanked.

Ultimate decision is up to you. Good luck.

Matthew
Posted on: 2009/1/5 2:29

bogus Re: Bose Radio Replacement
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

the other risk about letting a cheap shop do it is experience.

They don't know the ins and outs of working on one of these things... it takes attention to detail to make it happen.
Posted on: 2009/1/10 18:27

Senior Guru
Aiken, SC
440 Posts

Well, I'm moving back into this project along with multiple other projects on this car. Dr Don's wants $130 and $15 for shipping. That's reasonable for the work I guess, but as has been stated, the radio is going to go south again.

So, I'll buy components do the wiring and hook it up. I'll need that plug conversion kit, right? Then, lead decent wires under carpet, etc to get to the speakers.

Should I install those 2 piece component speakers though I'm not into cutting holes. I've seen too many cars where that is really ugly.

I think, from what I've been reading, the most bang for the buck, from what you all are stating is that an aftermarket product is going to be the way to go.

I've led wire and have installed pieces before so not totally new to the process. I'm just not completely familiar with it like you all are.

One BIG other question...when installing a new radio head unit, is there an adapter that goes into the hole where the Bose was to hold in the new HU? Further, what I'd like to get away from is that pocket or blank plate under the radio...is double din in that case my only option??
Posted on: 2009/4/29 14:14

bogus Re: Bose Radio Replacement
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Metra makes a radio install kit, both for the dash and the wiring.

All you need is a power tap for the head unit. I assume you read the C4 audio faq first? That will lay the foundation for C4 audio upgrades.

I installed 3-ways in my 92. For pictures, check this thread, about 1/2 way down:

http://www.corvette-guru.com/modules/ ... php?topic_id=5817&forum=2
Posted on: 2009/4/29 14:36

Senior Guru
Aiken, SC
440 Posts

Is the power tap the wiring plug conversion?

I did read the C4FAQ, clicked on Metra this time and looked at the installation kits. That may be the way to go.

Another question...I have an older Alpine CD 7894 radio on the shelf. I had it repaired a while back but never installed it. Its a CD, MP3 ready, CD-R, RW ready. Would this be a good way to go or at this point install something that can also accommodate an I-pod as well.

Sorry about all the questions, just trying to do it right the first time.

I'm also guessing no resistor as I have electronic A/C but do I need to take out the piece in backof the dash on the passenger side?
Posted on: 2009/4/29 15:00

C4FUN Re: Bose Radio Replacement
Guru Newb
Lost in San Diego
31 Posts

"the other risk about letting a cheap shop do it is experience.

They don't know the ins and outs of working on one of these things... it takes attention to detail to make it happen."

After my car got t-boned by a guy with no insurance, I started scrounging up parts and met a Corvette dismantler. There was a C4 in there that you could tell was really clean....prior to the fire that gutted the dash and started into the engine compartment before being extinguished. It was started by an electrical short right after the guy had a new stereo installed. Sometimes cheaper is more expensive.
Posted on: 2009/5/3 6:07

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.