Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
153 user(s) are online (101 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Callaway
A builder of special edition Corvettes.

Very valuable, some exceed 6-figures.

Most notable is the B2K, 1987-1991....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

FerdiTheBull 1987 C-4 Need to Replace Heater Core
Guru Newb
2 Posts

Some help needed in replacing my heater core. Where do I start? I've done many a heater core on other cars including disassembling the entire dash right down to the firewall, so I'm not afraid of the job. What I'm afraid of is to ruin any of the plastic parts I see (and don't see).

My shop manual is useless in the disassembly. Has anyone out there done this job on their 1987 C-4? Any step by step instructions would certainly help. Thanks.
Posted on: 2009/3/26 5:54
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

bogus Re: 1987 C-4 Need to Replace Heater Core
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20860 Posts

Which shop manual do you have? The Haynes is pointless, period. The Helm Factory Service manual is the right one to have.

I have done this... and it's just a lot of disassembly.

In general:

1. Remove all plastic trim from the dash and console.
2. Remove the breadbox dash pad thing. It's screwed in from behind and is a bitch to reach.
3. Same goes with the right knee bolster.

Basically, as you get deeper and deeper into the dash, the heater box will show itself.

There are a few screws that cover the core, remove same and there she is.
Posted on: 2009/3/26 6:02

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

volzfan Re: 1987 C-4 Need to Replace Heater Core
Senior Guru
Kingsport, TN
306 Posts

Hmmmmmm, must be contagious. I've just discovered that I'm going to have to do the same to my '85. I assume there is no more/less work involved in any of the early C4 years, correct? I do have a FSM, and it seems to lay it out pretty well. Just a lot of disassembly.
Posted on: 2009/3/26 11:05

Epimax Re: 1987 C-4 Need to Replace Heater Core
Elite Guru
Wilmington, NC
1814 Posts

Quote:

volzfan wrote:
Hmmmmmm, must be contagious. I've just discovered that I'm going to have to do the same to my '85. I assume there is no more/less work involved in any of the early C4 years, correct? I do have a FSM, and it seems to lay it out pretty well. Just a lot of disassembly.

Yep, just a lot of disassembly and patience required! I replaced the core on my '93 last year, and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I did a lot of research on various forums, and with the aid of the FSM it went really well.
I did come across a 'fastguy' method for replacing the HC in earlier C-4's, which didn't involve removing the dash. It may be on the computer at home, and I'll look and see if I can find it...

Posted on: 2009/3/26 11:38

Epimax Re: 1987 C-4 Need to Replace Heater Core
Elite Guru
Wilmington, NC
1814 Posts

Posted on: 2009/3/26 11:42

FerdiTheBull Re: 1987 C-4 Need to Replace Heater Core
Guru Newb
2 Posts

Thanks all for the rapid responses. And the lead to the fast guy article. And solving where the bolts are to get that big passenger bolster thing off. Although I may not have to remove it, it seems like I'll have a little more working room. I've taken a bit from here and a bit from there and I think that I'm ready to go. It seems like I will have to adjust as I go to suit the size of my hands, arms, and tools.

I'm going to document it all with my digital still camera and voice recorder, and maybe my digital video recorder. I'll post the results.

FYI I have the factory shop manual. It doesn't discuss the removal of the bolster or plastic parts.
Posted on: 2009/3/27 4:23

CFI-EFI Re: 1987 C-4 Need to Replace Heater Core
Senior Guru
Top of Utah
372 Posts

I pretty much followed the FSM when I did mine. I didn't see where it said to remove the bread box, bread loaf, or what ever, and I didn't. I don't see how that would have helped much. The removal of the dash pad (as instructed) made access easier and let light in. I think the main difference in "The Fast Guy" method is the removal of the seat. I didn't, but I can see where that could make access easier. It was a pain, but hopefully it is done for the next 20 years. If I have to do it again, then, I will consider the "Jeb Barnett" method. Sawzall.

RACE ON!!!
Posted on: 2009/3/27 17:37

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.