Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
291 user(s) are online (238 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Horn
A rather boring honk, but it should be loud and clear.

It should work with key on or off....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

Durango_Boy Javelin.
Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
2583 Posts

I saw a 1972 Javelin for sale locally for $2500, and I checked it out quickly in the summer heat.

It's in fantastic shape. White with blue stripes, 6 cylinder, black interior, all complete inside and out, and using my trusty magnet I found no bondo in the usual places.

What's everyone's opinion of the Javelin. I think I would go GM with the drive train though because I'm not a huge fan of AMC mills.
Posted on: 2009/6/23 0:00
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

CSS996 Re: Javelin.
Mega Guru
Central PA
3644 Posts

For $2,500 if you don't buy it, I will make fun of you.
Posted on: 2009/6/23 0:34

DreamRide Re: Javelin.
Senior Guru
Springfield, TN
226 Posts

They're gettin like hens teeth. Can't find them. Not an AMC fan, but as an investment.???
Posted on: 2009/6/23 0:44

Durango_Boy Re: Javelin.
Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
2583 Posts

Quote:

CSS996 wrote:
For $2,500 if you don't buy it, I will make fun of you.

I wish I could afford it. Anyone want to give me a grant?
Posted on: 2009/6/23 1:13

biggrizzly Re: Javelin.
2011 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4543 Posts

I owned a '69 Javelin in the 70s for my first car. It had a 390 and 12 bolt posi rear. Must have been geared low because that car would smoke up the tires like no other car I have owned since then.

A lot of buddies in High School made fun of that car, but it would beat a fair share of Camaros and Firebirds.

I'd like to have that little car back now. However, AMC changed the body style in 70 or 71 to the humpy front fenders and I was never a fan of them.

Good Luck with whatever your choice is.
Posted on: 2009/6/23 1:28

bogus Re: Javelin.
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

As an investment, it sucks.

As a platform for hotrodding, it's pretty good.

I suspect your dislike for AMC engines comes from a lack of exposure. They are really good motors and Edelbrock has been spending a lot of time getting it right.

If you want a good AMC motor, the 390 is a great starting point.

The modern Jeep's used a revised version of the old AMC/Nash I6. That is one stout motor. Now, the earliest Nash versions did have some oiling problems. But the AMC version updated in 1964 or so really did turn that into a great motor. The version in our Cherokee is the HO 4.0 litre. All 190 hp.

If it was my car, I would build up a hot I6, just to be different. If the 4.0 can do 190 chp without much strain, I bet 300 is easy!!! Now wouldn't that make for an interesting exhaust note?

Add a modern 5 or 6spd manual, use the stock AMC Torque-Loc rear and upgrade the suspension. That would rock, yo.
Posted on: 2009/6/23 2:08

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
2583 Posts

Quote:
I suspect your dislike for AMC engines comes from a lack of exposure. They are really good motors and Edelbrock has been spending a lot of time getting it right.

If you want a good AMC motor, the 390 is a great starting point.

My experience with AMC engines is a bit limited though I spent some time in an AMC 360. Haven't laid a hand on the 390, though I have driven the I6 engines in a few trucks and jeeps. Not a fan of those either, but I like torque and I'm particular about my exhaust.

I actually prefer Chrysler engines over AMC...IHC stuff is down there below Ford for my tastes.

I'd say I like GM best, followed by Chrysler. I think a GM drive train in an old AMC would be ideal. Easy to adapt, cheap to build and maintain, and it's something I have a lot of experience with and I'm comfortable with it.

I think if I had that Javelin, and a meager budget, I would build myself a Vortec block based 383, through a 4L60. I'd keep it simple. Paint, meager custom interior, reliable yet fun drive train, and an attractive wheel and tire package...maybe a modern 5 spoke design wheel on square shoulder tires.
Posted on: 2009/6/23 2:45

bogus Re: Javelin.
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

If you are going to go AMC, then at least follow the family. Use Mopar.

I would still go with a manual... and a nice 440 TNT... heh heh heh. Torque from hell.
Posted on: 2009/6/23 4:18

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
2583 Posts

If I went Mopar big block I would want to do a 413. Never built or used a 413. I did once put a Mopar 400 in a '73 Scout II. That upset a few purists. LOL.
Posted on: 2009/6/23 9:52

DreamRide Re: Javelin.
Senior Guru
Springfield, TN
226 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
I suspect your dislike for AMC engines comes from a lack of exposure.

No dislike. Just never been a fan for the body styles. As an old motor head, if I got a really good deal on one I'd pick it up to turn it over for some pocket change.
Posted on: 2009/6/23 12:24

BrianCunningham Re: Javelin.
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

1st model I made as a kid was an AMX or 2 seater Javelin.

Own a 77 Matador wagon in College with a 360.

It actually had some grunt to it.

They were smart and ran dual cats before everyone else.
Posted on: 2009/6/23 15:27

rklessdriver Re: Javelin.
Senior Guru
Woodbridge, VA
1318 Posts

One of my best friends races an AMX in IHRA Stock Eliminator (Crate Motor). He used the rules to his advantge and runs a 360 Magnum based engine. Very easy swap into that AMX so it would be the same in a later model Javilen.

Plenty of performance availiable out of the small block MOPAR too. Stroker kits availiable to 400+ inchs with the stock 340/360 block. No more expensive to build than a SBC or Ford.

I have built ONE AMC V8 in my life. A 390 for an AMX I built for a fellow Marine over in Cherry Point NC. I had to get some custom piston built to lower the SCR down under 10.5 but other wise it had Eldebrock intake, 750 Holley DP, 220/230@.050 hyd flat tappet camshaft, some minor bowl porting to the heads (yes they were the dog leg ex port ones). The car was very fast considering it was just a "regular old mild build" when comparing it to every other SBC street motor I build. You could have knocked me over with a feather when the first time to the drag stip that car went 12.30's on regular old street tires. There is definatly potential with the hi-performance AMC v8's but parts were hard to get back in the 90's when I built that one and I guess Eldebrock has helped out some with their new alum heads but factory hi-performance blocks, cranks, rods are still in short supply and expensive if you need anything.

Last but not least. Ever thought about how cool an retro rod would be? Drop in a modern EFI 5.7L-6.0L Hemi and overdrive auto...

I love the SBC but something about putting a SBC in it just don't sit right with me.
Will
Posted on: 2009/7/14 19:04

1972 Corvette. LS5 454 BBC with M20 4 speed.
Best Pass - Doing good to just pass a gas station.

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.