Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
287 user(s) are online (236 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  C3
Abbreviation for the 3rd generation of Corvettes built from 1968-1982....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

patgizz LS engine swap - unanswered things
Senior Guru
Medina, OH
228 Posts

for every LSx swap thread i read on CF, including the FAQ, all i read is "you need a longer driveshaft, this moves stuff forward 1.5 inches or so"

so has anyone done the work to position the engine as factory to not mess with the driveline? i could pick up an aluminum shaft from something longer and have it shortened if necessary but added expense is lame. i'll be selling my 90 grand prix(that the LS1/4L60-e are in right now) and my superram, holley 58mm billet TB, and whatever else i have to to get the swap done. my L98 is locked solid.

i can do whatever fabrication is necessary(read above my 90 FWD grand prix is RWD now), i've already got mount adapters, and figure one of the least easy parts will be making a C beam bracket(i figure i'll get a 4th gen camaro tailshaft housing and work off the torque arm mounts like they do for the c4 t56 swap since i've got a trans from a silverado right now).

i've got a c5 filter/regulator, walbro pump, mount adapters, 4 kinds of manifolds and headers, the engine is wired and ready w/ pcm

anything else i might be forgetting? i'm waiting on sale of my superram to order a c5 water pump, balancer, and accessory drive setup. my engine has truck accessories right now because i had a bad 6.0 for parts and unless the balancer will clear the frame crossmember up front i don't think i can use them. i gather i will give it a shot first then order if necessary.

i know i'm in for a daunting task, but i've been planning to do this when the engine or trans went anyway, just that i was not planning on it being at 115k miles.
Posted on: 2009/7/7 17:46
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

DaleD Re: LS engine swap - unanswered things
Senior Guru
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
1389 Posts

L98 locked up solid at 115k? Wow.
Do you think the superram and the widening of the powerband took it out early?

Good luck!
Posted on: 2009/7/7 17:53

patgizz Re: LS engine swap - unanswered things
Senior Guru
Medina, OH
228 Posts

no because i only drove it a few miles since i did the intake.

i believe there was probably some prior damage as when it was my dad's car he neglected some oil leaks for a long time and it always seemed low when i checked it.

i may be jumping the gun with the LS1 stuff but my head isn't clear right now. i've got a 4 bolt main 350 roller block on the stand that would be easier to rebuild and slap in than a whole system swap that i'll probably run out of money during.
Posted on: 2009/7/7 17:58

Jeffvette Re: LS engine swap - unanswered things
Elite Guru
Not on CF
1297 Posts

Quote:

patgizz wrote:
for every LSx swap thread i read on CF, including the FAQ, all i read is "you need a longer driveshaft, this moves stuff forward 1.5 inches or so"

so has anyone done the work to position the engine as factory to not mess with the driveline? i could pick up an aluminum shaft from something longer and have it shortened if necessary but added expense is lame.

If you go back and look through a lot of the threads regarding the swap, you will see one huge problem. Nobody has done the swap the same way twice!

I did my own engine mounts going to the block so I didn't have to cut or section in new mounts to the frame. So my motor sits a little further back, which would be a problem in a car with a heater. I have all the firewall room in the world since it's a race car.
Posted on: 2009/7/7 18:32

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.