Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
297 user(s) are online (247 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Cigarette Lighter
Does it work?

If not, the fuse is hidden… behind the Driver Information Center (DIC) on the 1984-1989, and under the right knee bolster on the ...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

pappyfreebird any way ta run two filters
Senior Guru
1028 Posts

on a xfire n git rid of the massive top coverin the motor..any easy hey i did it wid pix???
Posted on: 2009/9/12 2:57
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Midnight85 Re: any way ta run two filters
Guru
Streator, IL.
264 Posts

Like I said in your other post, I don't know squat about crossfires but if you can fabricate an air filter bottom to fit the throttle body and find a way to hold them down you'd be home free. Give it a shot and be the first!
Posted on: 2009/9/12 4:16

CentralCoaster Re: any way ta run two filters
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Check out the 82 Corvette or the 82-84 F-bodies for some ideas.
Posted on: 2009/9/12 4:57

pappyfreebird Re: any way ta run two filters
Senior Guru
1028 Posts

now why help me here n jump me on other one!!! cause someone else did??well any ways thanks 85 n thank you cc..thats wud i jus mentioned..nuthar motor builder sez hunt down sum single tbi unit cars n git there bottums fer the oval fit n fab fum there...
ps hey there midnight i rekon im 1st alot,,well seems i r no.1 alot mabee i gots em mixed up..dont mind fabbin me own stuff like it fer most part..hafta git me sum idears...
Posted on: 2009/9/12 14:31

bogus Re: any way ta run two filters
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I wouldn't.

The 84 xfire air box is connected to the hood, which is a cowl induction setup. If anything, the system draws cool air in and that's the best thing you can do.
Posted on: 2009/9/13 3:32

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Senior Guru
1028 Posts

i hear ya there bog...but wouldnt a set up like this still draw from the hood holes,,nawt direct but would be enuff flow?
it chure as L looks alot better..thids is earlier xfire

Attach file:

jpg  crossfire.jpg (0.00 KB)

Posted on: 2009/9/13 16:48

bogus Re: any way ta run two filters
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Looks do not = performance.

You need to take a deep breath and reassess what you are doing. If CFI-EFI was around, and he might chime in, I suspect he would discourage it.

Those cute little air breathers will only suck in warm engine air. The Xfire airbox is sealed to the hood to get cold air.

If I owned an xfire engine, this is what I would do:

1. machine/hone out the intake to open up the ports to 100% and not their current 55%! That will liberate a ton of power.

2. Aluminum heads... Alcee1 has Edelbrock heads on his 84 and it really runs well with them. Also need cam and roller rockers.

3. Get your current injectors rebuilt and honed out. There are folks that can build them up to increase air flow.

4. Upgrade the computer. Others will chime in with the exact 411 (and I might find it online elsewhere). However, the idea is to update the computer with one from a pickup, c1987. The newer ECU has a better CPU for better tuning. Another option would be an entire ECU upgrade to LS1 specs with a modern sequential injection system...

5. Headers and better exhaust.

I would estimate, without even getting into the guts of the engine (beyond cam), that you are looking at a motor making well over 300 RWHP. I would estimate this upgrade would cost about $3500.00. The charm is if you plan it right, it can be done over a couple of years and won't hurt as much.

That is all if you want to keep the L83... as an alternative, update the entire driveline... LSx, TKO 5spd, D44. That upgrade would cost about $10k, tho... Again, this upgrade can be done over time. At least the accumulation of parts. Then take a winter to put them all in. Figure a used LS1, with harness and ECM is about $2500 (no trans) the TKO is another $3k, and the D44 another $2k. Figure another $2500 in bits and pieces.
Posted on: 2009/9/13 17:24

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Senior Guru
1028 Posts

dayum bro..i jus wanted ta see mo of the engine ,,not build me a race machine wahahahaha!!! i r happy wid the ol girl jus as she is,,ok so im lyun a bit there..jus keep thinkin back on 2-4 set ups n 3 deuces n such n aways looked cool,,i hear ya on what it does..but it also blocks what could be a purty motor too...rekon i r gonna git my kid ta save yer above post thou,, n toss it in vet file fer when im rich,,so this reminds me ta say hey rednecks membar ta donate ta the make pappy rich n famous foundation sosin i kin build me a beeyuchin vet rod!!
thanks again bog the paps
Posted on: 2009/9/13 23:02

NC Kid Re: any way ta run two filters
Elite Guru
North Carolina
1671 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
Looks do not = performance.

You need to take a deep breath and reassess what you are doing. If CFI-EFI was around, and he might chime in, I suspect he would discourage it.

Those cute little air breathers will only suck in warm engine air. The Xfire airbox is sealed to the hood to get cold air.

If I owned an xfire engine, this is what I would do:

1. machine/hone out the intake to open up the ports to 100% and not their current 55%! That will liberate a ton of power.

2. Aluminum heads... Alcee1 has Edelbrock heads on his 84 and it really runs well with them. Also need cam and roller rockers.

3. Get your current injectors rebuilt and honed out. There are folks that can build them up to increase air flow.

4. Upgrade the computer. Others will chime in with the exact 411 (and I might find it online elsewhere). However, the idea is to update the computer with one from a pickup, c1987. The newer ECU has a better CPU for better tuning. Another option would be an entire ECU upgrade to LS1 specs with a modern sequential injection system...

5. Headers and better exhaust.

I would estimate, without even getting into the guts of the engine (beyond cam), that you are looking at a motor making well over 300 RWHP. I would estimate this upgrade would cost about $3500.00. The charm is if you plan it right, it can be done over a couple of years and won't hurt as much.

That is all if you want to keep the L83... as an alternative, update the entire driveline... LSx, TKO 5spd, D44. That upgrade would cost about $10k, tho... Again, this upgrade can be done over time. At least the accumulation of parts. Then take a winter to put them all in. Figure a used LS1, with harness and ECM is about $2500 (no trans) the TKO is another $3k, and the D44 another $2k. Figure another $2500 in bits and pieces.

Listen to this post....If I had, I would be alot further in performance/reliablitiy than I am now........
Posted on: 2009/9/14 23:51

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.