Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
211 user(s) are online (121 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  C3
Abbreviation for the 3rd generation of Corvettes built from 1968-1982....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

axle83651 Starting Problems when warm
Guru Newb
1 Posts

My 1973 Corvette Big Block will not roll-over when the engine is warm. I've replaced the starter and still have the same problem. When cold, the engine rolls and starts just fine. When placing a jumper wire from the starter to battery (key on)the vehicle will start right up. But when trying to start the vehicle using the key, the starter will not engage or roll. Again this problem only occures when the engine is warm. By allowing the engine to cool for a couple of hours the vehicle will start right up using the key. Any ideas on what might be the cause?
Posted on: 2009/7/23 17:59
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

BillH Re: Starting Problems when warm
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

The jumper, are you going from the battery to the solenoid, small terminal? If so, and it starts right up, it sounds like the grounds are OK.

You're probably going to have to do trace. First, when hot, watch your voltmeter and hit the key, is there any movement?

I'd then remove the sol wire, hook one lead of a voltmeter or testlight to it and the other lead to ground. Hit the key, does it light? If not, trace that wire back thru the harness and to the test at any connector including under the dash.
If it lights at the sol, you possibily have a new bad starter, any thing can happen. You could try to cool down the solenoid when it won't start while the engine is still hot (if you can get to it).

C3 guys, chime in, does a 73 have a starter relay? I don't think so but...........
Posted on: 2009/7/23 18:28

Durango_Boy Re: Starting Problems when warm
Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
2583 Posts

There wasn't a starter relay on those cars that I know of but I'm not totally familiar with the '73 system. I know '74 and up did not have them.
Posted on: 2009/7/23 19:51

Flying-Low Re: Starting Problems when warm
Guru Newb
Millbrook, Al.
40 Posts

Try looking at the wire terminals where they are connected to the wires. This is a good place for corrosion to hide. Seems like corrosion problems get worse when hot.
good luck.
David
Posted on: 2009/7/26 23:51

Rickster69Vert Re: Starting Problems when warm
Guru Newb
Camp Hill, PA
16 Posts

I have a similar problem on hot starts, I get a delay and then the engine struggles to turn, then finally starts. I have heard that a heat shield for the starter could help. Any advice on which one/where to purchase? Easy to install? Anyone have photos?

No problem with cold starts just if I try to start soon after turning off.

Thanks.
Posted on: 2009/9/7 3:40

BillH Re: Starting Problems when warm
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

Rickster69Vert wrote:
I have a similar problem on hot starts, I get a delay and then the engine struggles to turn, then finally starts. I have heard that a heat shield for the starter could help. Any advice on which one/where to purchase? Easy to install? Anyone have photos?

No problem with cold starts just if I try to start soon after turning off.

Thanks.

I would think that it would be hard to find one premade, just too many variables. They're not hard to fab, you do have to make sure that the shield can't hit the battery posts.

Summit sells a starter blanket that reflects heat. $18.00
SUM-350108
Posted on: 2009/9/7 13:14

TimAT Re: Starting Problems when warm
Guru Newb
Gladstone, MO (Kansas City)
38 Posts

Check the ground cable from the right motor mount bracket on the frame to the block. There should be star washers between the cable and the frame and the block. Also check the ground from the battery to the frame.

Turn the headlights on when it's hot and you crank it. See what they do. Dim a lot? Stay about the same? If they really dim, it could be a starter problem. If not, then very likely a ground.

FWIW: I've got a BB in the 69- headers, 12.5 compression, lots of timing and never any problems. No heat shield on the starter.
Posted on: 2009/9/13 1:35

corvettewhite Re: Starting Problems when warm
Guru Newb
4 Posts

hi. I USED THE GAS TREATMENT OR WATER REMOVER. WORK FOR ME.I THINK THE BAD GAS OR CARBURATOR.

GOOD LUCK

CORY

coryQuote:

axle83651 wrote:
My 1973 Corvette Big Block will not roll-over when the engine is warm. I've replaced the starter and still have the same problem. When cold, the engine rolls and starts just fine. When placing a jumper wire from the starter to battery (key on)the vehicle will start right up. But when trying to start the vehicle using the key, the starter will not engage or roll. Again this problem only occures when the engine is warm. By allowing the engine to cool for a couple of hours the vehicle will start right up using the key. Any ideas on what might be the cause?
Posted on: 2010/8/23 3:47

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.