Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
153 user(s) are online (105 user(s) are browsing Forums)

vetteblondie, more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  SMC
Sheet Molded Compound.

This is the material that all C4 Corvettes are made of.

It's similar to fiberglass, but much more durable.

The onl...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

Sweet90 THE SPOILED UNDER-30 CROWD!!!
Elite Guru
Edmonton, Alberta
1143 Posts

My son sent me this
If you are 30 or older you will think this is hilarious!!!!
When I was a kid, adults used to bore me to tears with their tedious diatribes about how hard things were. When they were growing up; what with walking twenty-five miles to school every morning.... Uphill... Barefoot... BOTH ways Yadda, yadda, yadda
And I remember promising myself that when I grew up, there was no way in hell I was going to lay a bunch of crap like that on my kids about how hard I had it and how easy they've got it! But now that . . . I'm over the ripe old age of thirty, I can't help but look around and notice the youth of today.
You've got it so easy! I mean, compared to my childhood, you live in a damn Utopia!
And I hate to say it, but you kids today, you don't know how good you've got it!

I mean, when I was a kid we didn't have the Internet. If we wanted to know something, we had to go to the damn library and look it up ourselves, in the card catalogue!!
There was no email!! We had to actually write somebody a letter - with a pen! Then you had to walk all the way across the street and put it in the mailbox, and it would take like a week to get there! Stamps were 10 cents!
Child Protective Services didn't care if our parents beat us. As a matter of fact, the parents of all my friends also had permission to kick our ass! Nowhere was safe!
There were no MP3' s or Napsters! If you wanted to steal music, you had to hitchhike to the damn record store and shoplift it yourself!
Or you had to wait around all day to tape it off the radio, and the DJ would usually talk over the beginning and @#*% it all up! There were no CD players! We had tape decks in our car. We'd play our favorite tape and "eject" it when finished, and the tape would come undone.. Cause - that's how we rolled, dig?
We didn't have fancy crap like Call Waiting! If you were on the phone and somebody else called, they got a busy signal, that's it!
There weren't any freakin' cell phones either. If you left the house, you just didn't make a damn call or receive one. You actually had to be out of touch with your "friends". OH MY GOD !!! Think of the horror.. And then there's TEXTING . yeah , right. You kids have no idea how annoying you are.
And we didn't have fancy Caller ID either! When the phone rang, you had no idea who it was! It could be your school, your mom, your boss, your bookie, your drug dealer, a collections agent, you just didn't know!!! You had to pick it up and take your chances, mister!
We didn't have any fancy Sony Playstation video games with high-resolution 3-D graphics! We had the Atari 2600! With games like 'Space Invaders' and 'Asteroids'. Your guy was a little square! You actually had to use your imagination!! And there were no multiple levels or screens, it was just one screen... Forever! And you could never win. The game just kept getting harder and harder and faster and faster until you died! Just like LIFE!
You had to use a little book called a TV Guide to find out what was on! You were screwed when it came to channel surfing! You had to get off your ass and walk over to the TV to change the channel! NO REMOTES!!!
There was no Cartoon Network either! You could only get cartoons on Saturday Morning. Do you hear what I'm saying? We had to wait ALL WEEK for cartoons, you spoiled little rat-bastards!
And we didn't have microwaves. If we wanted to heat something up, we had to use the stove! Imagine that!
That's exactly what I'm talking about! You kids today have got it too easy. You're spoiled. You guys wouldn't have lasted five minutes back in 1980 or before!

Regards,
The Over 30 Crowd
Posted on: 2009/11/27 16:39

CorvetteBob Re: THE SPOILED UNDER-30 CROWD!!!
Elite Guru
1409 Posts

Yeah...........what HE said!!!!!!!!!!
Posted on: 2009/11/27 17:05

jdtireman Re: THE SPOILED UNDER-30 CROWD!!!
Senior Guru
Winnipeg
176 Posts

[quote]
Sweet90 wrote:
...Or you had to wait around all day to tape it off the radio, and the DJ would usually talk over the beginning and @#*% it all up! ...

You remeber Len Tooson on K97 on Sunday nights? That was the first time I ever heard Floyds Dark Side... Man are we old now!
Posted on: 2009/11/27 18:07
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

bogus Re: THE SPOILED UNDER-30 CROWD!!!
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I suspect that is about 10 years old... over 30 now would have grown up with most of those things from mid-teens on.

Try 40+ and it's funny.

This thought just came to me, in the 44 years I have been alive, the following technologies have come (and some have gone!):

1. CD Player
2. Cell Phone/Smart Phone/PDA/Bluetooth
3. DVD Player
4. VCR/Beta
5. Cassette Tape
6. Personal Computing
7. Flat screen TVs
8. Pocket Calculators
9. Digital Watch
10. Cable & Sat TV
11. Sat Radio
12. GPS

Then comes the technology in cars:

1. Airbags
2. EFI/Distributorless Ignition
3. ABS/ASR/Stability Control
4. Active/Adjustable suspension
5. Manumatic transmissions

In both lists, there are tons of added features that either overlap or compliment.

If you scan back in time to the prior 44 years, meaning 1921 to 1965 (1921 being the year my father was born), it gets interesting... the advances are there, but they all didn't effect the everyman like the later advances did:

1. Atomic energy/weapons
2. Supersonic/Jet flight
3. Electronic Computers
4. Space flight
5. Penicillin
6. TV/FM Radio
7. A/C
8. Colour Film

And in cars, we have:

1. Unibody construction
2. Automatic transmission
3. A/C
4. Power Steering/Brakes
5. 12 Volt electrical systems
6. Cruise Control
7. Climate Control
8. Crumple Zones/Shoulder harness seat belts

The earlier 44 years sure did lay out a nice foundation for the next; but as far as pure advancement, it has been flying in the last 30 or so years.

One last random thought... when I was growing up in the mid-70s, we never worried about:

1. Riding in the back of pickups! I rode from Dover, DE to Richmond, VA in the back of one!

2. Helmets; knee/elbow pads when riding anything other than a motorcycle.

3. Child abusers/sexual predators.

4. Specialized equipment... we didn't wear cleats for sports and we didn't have special gloves for each position in little league (sure, the catcher had his mitt, but that was it).

The upside/downside to the modern era is information. So much is available, yet the human existence doesn't yet know how to process it or make reasonable sense out of it. This is why we get knee jerk reactions to thing; simply because one story appears on one website, it becomes the next pariah that must be regulated out of existence. In short, there are no more secrets.
Posted on: 2009/11/27 18:21

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

TommyT-Bone Re: THE SPOILED UNDER-30 CROWD!!!
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33780 Posts

Whadda ya talkin about? You mean there's new ways to do stuff? Man , I got to get with the program. Old habits die hard.
Posted on: 2009/11/27 18:25

CorvetteBob Re: THE SPOILED UNDER-30 CROWD!!!
Elite Guru
1409 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:

If you scan back in time to the prior 44 years, meaning 1921 to 1965 (1921 being the year my father was born), it gets interesting... the advances are there, but they all didn't effect the everyman like the later advances did:

1. Atomic energy/weapons
2. Supersonic/Jet flight
3. Electronic Computers
4. Space flight
5. Penicillin
6. TV/FM Radio
7. A/C
8. Colour Film

Althought not a complete list, your youth has caused the omissions of (not a criticism, just additions)
Cars;
electric starter
The birth and passing of various vinyl tops
School busses w/ A/C
and much more...

The cure for polio
At least two states, Alaska and Hawaii
And so forth and so on...
As I think about this, the list continues to expand.......
Posted on: 2009/11/27 20:29

CentralCoaster Re: THE SPOILED UNDER-30 CROWD!!!
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

I'm 29 and can relate to most of those things. We had remote controls and microwaves, but it ends there.

And had about 30 games for my Atari 2600. Wish I still had it!

http://www.spaceinvaders.de/
Posted on: 2009/12/1 5:51

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.