Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
317 user(s) are online (243 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Weather Stripping
It should be soft and pliable. Tears, rips and holes are red flags that the seals are bad.

Corvette weather stripping is a known problem. Replaci...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

bigmoe Dynomax VT No Drone mufflers
Senior Guru
Manitoba
118 Posts

http://www.dynomax.com/mufflers.php?muffler=vt

Has anyone seen these new Dynomax mufflers they advertise as drone free? Looks like they have a spring loaded flapper inside that opens up under acceleration and closes during cruise for no drone. It shows a cat back # 19476 for LT1 and the mufflers are 17690 and 17689. No good pictures but the pic in the instructions look like LT1 style tips and I assume it's not polished s/s.
Posted on: 2010/4/26 17:53
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

bogus Re: Dynomax VT No Drone mufflers
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

No clue/opinion.

Corsa works, that much I do know!
Posted on: 2010/4/26 18:28

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

iCorvette Re: Dynomax VT No Drone mufflers
Senior Guru
302 Posts

corsa's are too loud sold them.....
Posted on: 2010/4/30 6:18

jmartynuska Re: Dynomax VT No Drone mufflers
Guru
Rindge, NH
51 Posts

Not to hyjack the thread.......

I think it could work.

I've felt the source of the C4 drone is the Y intersection post main cat, where the single pipe out of the cat branches off into two pipes. No real hard data to back this up, but my theory is turbulence at that point causes the drone.

I had a single 3" pipe off the cat through a resonator put on my car - primarily for weight savings - but also to test the theory. Plenty of power, mileage went up, and no drone at cruising speeds. Still a little noisy but it doesn't have that annoying drone and I can hear the radio and myself think; a muffler vs a resonator might help with the noise.

Looks like this muffler works on the idea of cutting back on reversion - air running back down the pipe. Valve opens to let air out, closes to prevent air from entering.

Thoughts?
Posted on: 2010/4/30 10:16

biggrizzly Re: Dynomax VT No Drone mufflers
2011 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4543 Posts

Quote:

jmartynuska wrote:
Not to hyjack the thread.......

I think it could work.

I've felt the source of the C4 drone is the Y intersection post main cat, where the single pipe out of the cat branches off into two pipes. No real hard data to back this up, but my theory is turbulence at that point causes the drone.

I had a single 3" pipe off the cat through a resonator put on my car - primarily for weight savings - but also to test the theory. Plenty of power, mileage went up, and no drone at cruising speeds. Still a little noisy but it doesn't have that annoying drone and I can hear the radio and myself think; a muffler vs a resonator might help with the noise.

Looks like this muffler works on the idea of cutting back on reversion - air running back down the pipe. Valve opens to let air out, closes to prevent air from entering.

Thoughts?

No Y pipes on my system and I still get a little droning at certain rpm. Although, not as bad as it was with the 2.59 factory gears. When I put in the 3.54 it bumped the rpm up at average round town cruise speed and the drone moved with it. Still there, but not as noticeable.
Posted on: 2010/4/30 10:33

bigmoe Re: Dynomax VT No Drone mufflers
Senior Guru
Manitoba
118 Posts

Well apparently the picture in the instructions that I found and the part numbers are not accurate. I contacted Dynomax. The VT is not available in a C4 specific configuration. It only comes as a unviversal muffler. In the picture that shows a cutaway of the muffler it shows the muffler is a non-baffled, straight through perforated pipe with sound insulation and that's only the front 1/2 of the muffler. The back 1/2 houses the flapper in a straight pipe. I suspect that under acceleration when the flapper is open it's not a very nice sounding muffler.
Posted on: 2010/4/30 11:24

bogus Re: Dynomax VT No Drone mufflers
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Quote:

iCorvette wrote:
corsa's are too loud sold them.....

say what?

The Corsa muffler is also a straight though, with a perfertated pipe, but the insides are totally different. No padding, just a series of v-shaped baffles to break up the sound waves. Well, more accurately, reflect the waves back into themselves, canceling out the noise.

The cause of the resonance is the shape of the C4 cabin itself. The storage area is its own resonance chamber.
Posted on: 2010/4/30 14:37

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

BillH Re: Dynomax VT No Drone mufflers
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

The only thing for me is chambered pipes but I saw this:

New! Corvette Central "no drone" dual outlet mufflers for 1984-1990 Corvettes.

Corvette Central is pleased to introduce our exclusive correct sounding dual outlet mufflers for the 1984-1990 Corvette. These are manufactured and welded in USA by Corvette Central (cases are manufactured in Canada).

On the original 1984-1990 dual-outlet muffler, the inner outlet tube is for appearance only, and is blocked off. With our design, the outer outlet tube is open, but the inner outlet tube is connected to a small diameter resonance tube. This design provides the correct sound and quietness of the original design without the annoying low-RPM drone.
Posted on: 2010/4/30 14:42

bigmoe Re: Dynomax VT No Drone mufflers
Senior Guru
Manitoba
118 Posts

Bill, as it says just 84-90. Also I'm not sure why anyone would want the "correct original sound and quietness" with no drone. Most people want a nicer (louder) sound with no drone.
Posted on: 2010/4/30 22:03

BillH Re: Dynomax VT No Drone mufflers
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

bigmoe wrote:
Bill, as it says just 84-90. Also I'm not sure why anyone would want the "correct original sound and quietness" with no drone. Most people want a nicer (louder) sound with no drone.

Me either, just saw them and posted because of the no drone.

I have no drone but I also have really loud in the lower gears.
Posted on: 2010/4/30 22:07

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.