Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
274 user(s) are online (229 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  ABS
Antilock Braking System.

Standard on all C4s starting in 1986....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

VtVette LT1 EGR Question
Guru
Las Vegas, NV
357 Posts

Hello guru's a question about the EGR System on my '93.

Since I bought my '93 the 2nd gear syncro was bad. This past week I finally swapped out the 6 speed with another unit. Unfortunately while removing the exhaust the studs on the manifolds snapped off so I had to remove the exhaust manifolds to extract the studs. While trying to remove the EGR pipe the pipe cracked so, as a temporary fix I cut the EGR pipes flush with their retaining nuts and welded the nuts solid. I then made a block off plate for the port in the back of the intake manifold (where the pipe that connects to the right side exhaust manifold connects to the back of the intake).

So I got the car finished up tonight and took it down the street. It started and ran great, no check engine light at all.

It now seems to have a backfire at higher RPM's, and sometimes when blipping the throttle sharply.

The engine was pretty cold, I went no further than a mile at the most.

I did not have a chance to look the car over tonight as I had to get going but I want a solid plan of attack for tomorrow.

My first thought is that a plug wire is crossed/not installed all the way. If this is not the case could removing the EGR pipes cause this backfiring? I didn't think so as others remove their stock manifolds in place of headers etc.

Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated thank you.
Posted on: 2010/5/3 2:59

1993 triple black roadster 6 speed
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

bogus Re: LT1 EGR Question
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I don't see a cause/effect. Unless your welds are not perfectly sealed, that is.

I had to replace my EGR pipe, once, too... good luck getting one! I think they are seriously hard to come by these days.

In general, EGR won't effect drive. What it will do is effect emissions and cause potential detonation. The EGR adds a touch of exahaust gases to the intake charge. This will then in turn allow the combustion temps to drop, lowering the chances of detonation and lowering NOx emissions.

I would reach out to Vette2Vette for a newer EGR tube. Also, you might be able to fix with the welding equipment you have - just weld the sucker on there!

The threads on the manifold go really bad after a while. Mine were chewed up so bad, I had to grind half the threads off my new on! I used antisieze on the remaining threads.

I am a fan of EGR, for both jobs it does. Removing it makes no performance advantage, and if anything, it creates a performance disadvantage. Many complain about the dark colour inside their intake... eh... minor annoyance, really. The inside of the throttle body is the biggest problem, but an occasional cleaning will resolve that.

I don't think you have a crossed plug wire... if that was the case, it would do it at all the time and be really down on power. Oh, one last thing, 1992 LT1s were prone to popping out the exhaust. Considering how simular 1992/93 Vette's are, that might be a consideration. I will admit, tho, the problem was atributed to early 1992 Vettes...
Posted on: 2010/5/3 3:07

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

VtVette Re: LT1 EGR Question
Guru
Las Vegas, NV
357 Posts

Thanks Andy. I would not have removed it if the damn pipe would not have cracked/broke. That, plus it's been on my friends lift all week so I really wanted to get it out of there tonight. Other than this now and a claw intake the former owner put it the car is 100% stock under the hood.

My car does have popping out the exhaust when decelerating, especially from higher RPM's. It actually sounds good and does not bother me. I know it's normal and not an issue. This is not that sound.

Guess I'll dig deeper tomorrow.
Welds on the manifold caps are very solid.
Posted on: 2010/5/3 3:44

Guru
Las Vegas, NV
357 Posts

I forgot to mention - from what I could tell the miss seemed to be coming from the rear right area of the engine.
Posted on: 2010/5/3 3:50

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I am wondering if the egr is trying to activate and is just sucking in air?
Posted on: 2010/5/3 5:23

Matatk Re: LT1 EGR Question
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Did you disconnect the EGR valve?
Posted on: 2010/5/3 11:30

Guru
Las Vegas, NV
357 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:
Did you disconnect the EGR valve?

Nope - and I was thinking about this last night. I've removed the EGR pipes but, have done nothing with the EGR valve itself. Perhaps this is my issue?
Posted on: 2010/5/3 13:20

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

comes back to my question about the EGR trying to activate and just sucking air.
Posted on: 2010/5/3 14:11

Guru
Las Vegas, NV
357 Posts

Could I get away with disconnecting the vacuum line to the EGR valve and blocking it off at the EGR valve and at the manifold or, should I remove the EGR valve entirely and install a blockoff plate?

I'm afraid I'm going to need to remove the manifolds again to get the plugs out to re install the EGR pipes. They are really seized in there. As I have plenty of other projects lined up that take precedence I will probably be running without EGR for a few months. This sucks as the LT1 is a pretty high compression engine and I'm sure benefits from EGR in the form or reduced detonation.
Posted on: 2010/5/3 14:29

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

the knock sensor will save the engine, but at a cost... about 20hp is my guess.

I would start with just disconnecting the EGR and capping the line. See what that does.
Posted on: 2010/5/3 16:44

Guru
Las Vegas, NV
357 Posts

Well thanks for the tips - I tried disconnecting/plugging the EGR and associated lines but, no dice. Still skips/pops.

Tomorrow I'll pull the plugs. That should tell the tale.
Posted on: 2010/5/3 22:51

1Fast04Vert Re: LT1 EGR Question
Elite Guru
The hills of N. Georgia
2424 Posts

Quote:

VtVette wrote:
Well thanks for the tips - I tried disconnecting/plugging the EGR and associated lines but, no dice. Still skips/pops.

Tomorrow I'll pull the plugs. That should tell the tale.

Check for a shorted plug wire before you do.
Posted on: 2010/5/3 23:02

Guru
Las Vegas, NV
357 Posts

Yep thought about that too - could be a wire got shorted when I pulled the manifolds/laid the wires back. I believe they may well be original wires w/100K on them.

I've been back/fourth over changing out my opti, or installing the delteq unit I bought. I had the delteq installed on the car this weekend and it tested as working fine but, I bought the wrong plug wire ends for the delteq coil packs! (my plan was to make my own plug wires) so, it's running off the original opti again for the time being.
Posted on: 2010/5/3 23:15

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.