Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
53 user(s) are online (36 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
 Register To Post

pickleusmc dash issue
Guru Newb
6 Posts

i have a 92 coupe and my dash started to mess up on me. just the digital part. first it started to go all haywire and then it started to just turn off then back on. the whole time this happens it blinks "sys" doesnt pop any codes and i am kinda at a loss. now the dash is completly off and it wont come back on. if i could get some advice it would be greatly appreciated.
Posted on: 2010/11/1 23:20
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

BillH Re: dash issue
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Welcome aboard.

Just to verify, did you check for no codes using a paper clip and the dash buttons?

And do you have a FSM?
Posted on: 2010/11/2 0:13

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

The FSM basically says to check for CCM codes.

Damn, I just realized you can't read codes if the dash is blank.

The only other thing mentioned is an open ground in the wire to instrument panel connector A7, circuit 150.
Posted on: 2010/11/2 0:27

pickleusmc Re: dash issue
Guru Newb
6 Posts

yeah i have a code reader. and that is what i was using. the anolog parts and the check engine section of the dash still work it is just the digital screen that has stopped working.
Posted on: 2010/11/2 1:20

bogus Re: dash issue
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

You need more than a "code reader." You need something that will read the CCM codes.

It sounds like something is amiss with the digital dash. These are VERY durable parts, so I would suggest a bad or weak connection.

It is worth trying to remove the IP and seeing if you can check the connections.

Does the car sit for extended periods? Do you live in a wet area?
Posted on: 2010/11/2 1:56

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

jonszr1 Re: dash issue
Senior Guru
Lone Pine, CA
453 Posts

if she sits at all you could have a little mouse problem. i had one chew a ground wire causing 1/2 of my interior light to stop working . a old trick is to get a couple of bars of irish spring and cut them up and place them around inside the car .for some reason the little fella hate that stuff
Posted on: 2010/11/2 2:05
i have a blast playing with my 4 babies 2 zr1s and 2 mustangs 68 coupe with a jon bennit 408 art car fully rollered c4 with a gearvendors over drive .88 mustang built by my kids with a ported lt5 and a bill boudreau blue printed zf 6 spd. with these 4 ...

Guru Newb
6 Posts

i have removed the instument cluster once to check connections and i even wet as far as using a little 400 grit sand paper to clean up the connectors and it still gave me the same problem, changed nothing it just started getting worse. it was a daily driver untill the digital dash just stopped working. i do live in south carolina by the coast but my friend who has the same year and has been here about the same time has no problems. i thought about that one too.
Posted on: 2010/11/2 21:09

Guru Newb
6 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
You need more than a "code reader." You need something that will read the CCM codes.

It sounds like something is amiss with the digital dash. These are VERY durable parts, so I would suggest a bad or weak connection.

It is worth trying to remove the IP and seeing if you can check the connections.

Does the car sit for extended periods? Do you live in a wet area?

what can i get that will read the ccm codes? the only place i know of here is the chevy dealership. they will charge me and arm and a leg too. what do you mean by remove the "ip" im not familiar with this term or i am and im just being an idiot right now.
Posted on: 2010/11/2 21:13

Guru Newb
6 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:
Welcome aboard.

Just to verify, did you check for no codes using a paper clip and the dash buttons?

And do you have a FSM?

paper clip and dash buttons? this one is new to me i have yet to hear about this one. enlighten me please
Posted on: 2010/11/2 21:27

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

pickleusmc wrote:
Quote:

BillH wrote:
Welcome aboard.

And do you have a FSM?

paper clip and dash buttons? this one is new to me i have yet to hear about this one. enlighten me please

First, Andy (Bogus) is referimg to the instrument Panel (IP). The connector for the display is on the back.

For the paper clip method, go to the upper left on our screen and click "Tech Library" then "Electrical" and "CCM Code Pull".
I'd suggest printing it out and putting it in your garage.
You will use it from time to time (after your dash is back to normal).

It does sound like a problem with the connection or the ground but you won't know until you get in there.
If you do take it apart, I may be able to scan the 92 FSM connector pic which shows where the ground is in the connector.
Posted on: 2010/11/2 22:09

tjpreul Re: dash issue
Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
1103 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:

First, Andy (Bogus) is referimg to the instrument Panel (IP). The connector for the display is on the back.

For the paper clip method, go to the upper left on our screen and click "Tech Library" then "Electrical" and "CCM Code Pull".
I'd suggest printing it out and putting it in your garage.
You will use it from time to time (after your dash is back to normal).

It does sound like a problem with the connection or the ground but you won't know until you get in there.
If you do take it apart, I may be able to scan the 92 FSM connector pic which shows where the ground is in the connector.

I was given a set of ALDL plugs from the PO that were bought from Killebrew. The plugs have pins installed with jumpers. It says this will work for 90-93. It sounds lazy, and it is. Although it is nice when I want to look for codes.
Posted on: 2010/11/3 0:25

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I have the same plugs. They are so easy to use!
Posted on: 2010/11/3 1:26

Guru Newb
6 Posts

thanks for the help im going to be tearing into it this weekend ill let you know if i get it fixed or not.
Posted on: 2010/11/3 16:51

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

If you run into an issue, lemme know, I have the Helm manual for 1992.
Posted on: 2010/11/3 18:29

fox_guy48 Re: dash issue
Guru
Katterbach Germany
78 Posts

Mine is doing the same thing but i smack the top of the dash and it starts working again im pretty sure its a bad connection i will be pulling the ip eventually weather been bad over here in germany no garage.
Posted on: 2010/11/7 13:27

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.