Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
251 user(s) are online (188 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  ABS
Antilock Braking System.

Standard on all C4s starting in 1986....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

92LRC Possible Fuel Pump issue
Guru Newb
Weston, FL
88 Posts

Last few times I've had the car out it stalls when I go around a corner too hard. It just dies quietly and I can get it to turn over again but it will only run for a second. It kind of sputters and almost seems like it's struggling to get fuel. After a while it starts up again like nothing happened. I started thinking it might be the fuel pump or the strainer sock.

When I run the car easy (no sharp turns) it runs fine, no stalls. But lets face it this car was made to take sharp turns so......

Any input is appreciated. Thanks
Posted on: 2011/1/18 4:03
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Steve40th Re: Possible Fuel Pump issue
Elite Guru
1114 Posts

Quote:

92LRC wrote:
Last few times I've had the car out it stalls when I go around a corner too hard. It just dies quietly and I can get it to turn over again but it will only run for a second. It kind of sputters and almost seems like it's struggling to get fuel. After a while it starts up again like nothing happened. I started thinking it might be the fuel pump or the strainer sock.

When I run the car easy (no sharp turns) it runs fine, no stalls. But lets face it this car was made to take sharp turns so......

C4's are known for fuel loss on cornering. If you have over a 1/4 tank you shouldnt have this problem. Below it, its common when cornering hard , especially autocrossing etc.
Posted on: 2011/1/18 4:22

bogus Re: Possible Fuel Pump issue
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I had this when turning to the left, only. It did it a couple of times, then never did it again. Never figured that one out... and at the time, I had a nearly full tank.
Posted on: 2011/1/18 8:37

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

92LRC Re: Possible Fuel Pump issue
Guru Newb
Weston, FL
88 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
I had this when turning to the left, only. It did it a couple of times, then never did it again. Never figured that one out... and at the time, I had a nearly full tank.

You know, now that you mention it, I think it's always happened on a left turn. Funny.

Quote:

Steve40th wrote:
Quote:

92LRC wrote:

C4's are known for fuel loss on cornering. If you have over a 1/4 tank you shouldnt have this problem. Below it, its common when cornering hard , especially autocrossing etc.

Both times that it happened I probably had about 1/4 or just short. But let's say that it happens on a full tank, like what Bogus described, could it be the sock? Car has 114K and the pump and related gear are likely original.

I guess it's time to renew AAA and test out the theory (that is when the ice and snow goes away). I can't wait to move back to South Florida.

Thanks for the info.
Posted on: 2011/1/18 12:26

Elite Guru
1114 Posts

Quote:

92LRC wrote:
Quote:

bogus wrote:

You know, now that you mention it, I think it's always happened on a left turn. Funny.

Quote:

Steve40th wrote:
Quote:

92LRC wrote:

Both times that it happened I probably had about 1/4 or just short. But let's say that it happens on a full tank, like what Bogus described, could it be the sock? Car has 114K and the pump and related gear are likely original.

I guess it's time to renew AAA and test out the theory (that is when the ice and snow goes away). I can't wait to move back to South Florida.

Thanks for the info.

Pumps are pretty reliable. The sock could (okay it is black and nasty). Takes about an hour to take it out and change.
Posted on: 2011/1/18 15:02

bogus Re: Possible Fuel Pump issue
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

The pumps are reliable? Steve, where do you get your pumps, fill me in on this wonderful land of reliable fuel pumps!

I have been making a gnarly habit of needing a new FP about every 2.5 years... and I am not one to go down to empty! Then again, my gas gauge so doesn't work that I have no clue where empty is.
Posted on: 2011/1/18 17:05

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Elite Guru
1114 Posts

I just threw a pump away. Oh well, sorry about that. I bought a Racetronix. Cheap, compared to dealer, and provides enough fuel for my engine as the factory one was not enough with the 42# injectors.
Shouldnt be going through pumps that often.IMHO
Posted on: 2011/1/18 19:57

92LRC Re: Possible Fuel Pump issue
Guru Newb
Weston, FL
88 Posts

Quote:

Pumps are pretty reliable. The sock could (okay it is black and nasty). Takes about an hour to take it out and change.

Doesn't seem worth doing just the sock. If I'm gonna replace I'll get the racetronix kit that has a pump, sock, and all the hardware. It kinda seems that this is where I'm heading.
Posted on: 2011/1/19 0:24

Elite Guru
1114 Posts

Quote:

92LRC wrote:
Quote:

Doesn't seem worth doing just the sock. If I'm gonna replace I'll get the racetronix kit that has a pump, sock, and all the hardware. It kinda seems that this is where I'm heading.

When you get the racetronix pump, ensure you have the correct sock. They sent me the wrong one. No biggie. It was a stock FORD MUSTANG GT 5.0 fuel pump sock, and fuel pump.... 255 lph
http://www.racetronix.biz/index.asp?F ... 4&url=IND&iFromFeatured=1
Posted on: 2011/1/19 0:28

Ultraman Re: Possible Fuel Pump issue
2015 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Huskerland
14751 Posts

I just bought a racetonix 190 lph kit and wondered when I saw the sock if it was the right one. what are they supposed to look like? This one is about 4 inches long and flat.
Posted on: 2011/1/19 4:03

Vote DeSantis in 2024.... Make the IRS go away...

Elite Guru
1114 Posts

Quote:

Ultraman wrote:
I just bought a racetonix 190 lph kit and wondered when I saw the sock if it was the right one. what are they supposed to look like? This one is about 4 inches long and flat.

As long as it fits on the pump. You will know if it is wrong. If it is correct it slips right on.
Posted on: 2011/1/19 4:04

Ultraman Re: Possible Fuel Pump issue
2015 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Huskerland
14751 Posts

Never mind I just looked at the picture. That's the one I have.
Posted on: 2011/1/19 4:05

Vote DeSantis in 2024.... Make the IRS go away...

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.