Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
186 user(s) are online (157 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  D44
This references the rear differential.

The D36 was the smaller unit. Used on all 1984 Corvettes, and all automatic Corvettes after that.

The ...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

biggrizzly DERALE Transmission Oil Pan for A4 700R and 4L60E - Photos and impressions
2011 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4543 Posts

From the very onset of me deciding that Pete Kane would rebuild my transmission I have planned on buying the DERALE deep oil pan. Well, the big "brown truck" stopped by the house the other day and dropped one off at my front door. It was delivered from Summit and with shipping and handling came to just under $150, which for the quality of the pan is pretty darn incredible. Packaging was stout and everything in the box was neat and in its place. I like the pan gasket that came with it. Its not cork but synthetic. It seems to be nice and thick. Hopefully it seals as good as it looks.

The most prominent feature of this pan over other pans on the market I looked at, is the fact that it has cooling tubes that run from front to back which allow air to pass through providing a cooling effect to the fluid that is surrounding the tubes on the inside of the pan. I have not seen any specific science to the efficacy of this cooling technique but it sure seems to make sense to me. I know that B&M offers cast pans that have cooling fins and they probably work OK too, but I wanted to steer clear of a cast pan, in the event something should hit it and cause a crack and subsequent hemorrhage of fluid. Also, those pans are almost twice the price of the Derale.

Additionally, the pan came with a magnetic drain plug in the center of the pan which is practically strong enough to hold the whole transmission up by itself... well maybe not that strong, but it will catch any metallic objects that comes its way. Also, there is a bung and pipe plug provided on the side of the pan for a temperature sensor to remotely monitor transmission fluid temperatures.

I haven't mounted it yet, as Pete left the stock pan in place with no fluid in the transmission and the bolts just finger tight. He knew I would be installing the Derale pan after the transmission was mounted and hooked to the drive line. All in all I think this is a quality pan for the money that should be good for some cooling effect and make up for the transmission fluid I lost by going to a smaller diameter converter.

I hope this helps others that might be considering this mod. I'll follow up to this later after the car is on the road a while.

Attach file:

jpg  derale_00.jpg (449.51 KB)
342_4dc3f69c438e9.jpg 1024X768 px

jpg  derale_04.jpg (232.05 KB)
342_4dc3f79a5bae9.jpg 1024X768 px

jpg  derale_05.jpg (237.24 KB)
342_4dc3f7ae9c946.jpg 1024X768 px

jpg  derale_09.jpg (242.72 KB)
342_4dc3f7c92481e.jpg 1024X768 px

jpg  derale_13.jpg (368.70 KB)
342_4dc3f7f8db4ec.jpg 1024X768 px
Posted on: 2011/5/6 13:38
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Aardwolf Re: DERALE Transmission Oil Pan for A4 700R and 4L60E - Photos and impressions
Senior Guru
Fremont, WI
209 Posts

Are you going to be road racing the car? Mine ran really cool on the street but it needs all the help it can get on the track. I bought a used pan from Pete and I don't like the look of that bottom drain setup on the new pan. It will really stick down! That plus the cost I would think putting that money into a big radiator would provide more gain. Unless you already have a big radiator with a good trans cooler in it. That's the next step for me. 150° for temp cruising around but 250° road racing.

Ground clearance pix:

[IMG]http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o130/Aardwolfki/Transmission/transpan3.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o130/Aardwolfki/Transmission/transpan1.jpg[/IMG]

It becomes the lowest part of the vehicle.
Posted on: 2011/5/6 13:56

biggrizzly Re: DERALE Transmission Oil Pan for A4 700R and 4L60E - Photos and impressions
4543 Posts

Is your car lowered at all?
In time I plan to do a few HPDE and Friday at the Track events nearby at Summit Point Raceway in West Virginia. I replaced my radiator two years ago with a new Denso unit. It has never seen temps over 200 yet, but that has to do with re-programming the fans more than anything. I hope I wouldn't snag that pan plug... that would suck big time!

I definitely won't be doing speed bumps!!
Posted on: 2011/5/6 14:00

PeteK Re: DERALE Transmission Oil Pan for A4 700R and 4L60E - Photos and impressions
Nanticoke, Pa
1311 Posts

I am happy to see Derale improved the pan.
Paint, moving the drain plug, and adding the bung for temp gauge.
I am sorry to see that it jumped from $75 to $150.
Posted on: 2011/5/6 14:08

PeteK Re: DERALE Transmission Oil Pan for A4 700R and 4L60E - Photos and impressions
Nanticoke, Pa
1311 Posts

Main advantage to a deep tin pan is their ability to crush, if bottomed out hard.
If you smack a cast pan off the pavement, you usually don't get to drive the car home due to the hole in it.
Studs and a cast pan are great for a race car though.
Posted on: 2011/5/6 14:10

biggrizzly Re: DERALE Transmission Oil Pan for A4 700R and 4L60E - Photos and impressions
4543 Posts

Quote:

PeteK wrote:
I am happy to see Derale improved the pan.
Paint, moving the drain plug, and adding the bung for temp gauge.
I am sorry to see that it jumped from $75 to $150.

Summits price is like $137 then add on the shipping and handling crap it was $148 or something close to that. It's still less coin than many others out there.
Posted on: 2011/5/6 14:17

Aardwolf Re: DERALE Transmission Oil Pan for A4 700R and 4L60E - Photos and impressions
Senior Guru
Fremont, WI
209 Posts

To me it looks like the design went backwards. The design of the drain was perfect. Now it sticks down to far. There was no real reason to move it or change it. Look at the design on my pan. It's farther back but with the front of the car up all the fluid will run back there anyways. The nut is cut way down but there's still plenty to get a tool on.

The bung isn't really needed since you can go in the case for the sender. If that pan were mine I would close off the bottom drain. I'd probably weld a plate over it inside. Then use the bung for a drain and put the sender in the trans case. Due to heat I change the fluid once a year. Don't forget because of the plate/lip around the drain hole that not all sediment will drain out. Might want to drop the pan and clean it better once in awhile.

For HPDE if you plan to go regularly I recommend synthetic trans fluid. I know Pete isn't a fan of the stuff but I've found it a big help road racing. With normal ATF I would get quite a bit of venting plus delayed shifting. Synthetic keeps the trans working good as temp climbs. I was over 280° at my last event.
Posted on: 2011/5/6 14:58

flyboy Re: DERALE Transmission Oil Pan for A4 700R and 4L60E - Photos and impressions
Elite Guru
Westmont, Il.
2632 Posts

My TCI cast alum. pan has a very low profile drain plug, just saying. Of course my pan is protected by the cross-frame brace. If you ever had any intention of installing the X-brace, it won't work with a deeper than stock pan.
So now you will in effect have 3 coolers, the one in the radiator, the pan, and your new aux. cooler?
That's a lot of weld area there with all those tubes passing through the oil for a potential leak. Guess I'm just needlessly skeptical of anything I buy.
Posted on: 2011/5/6 19:56

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.