Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
314 user(s) are online (262 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  St Louis
St Louis, MO, is the location of the Corvette assembly plant from 1954-1981.

Since 1981, Corvettes have been assembled in Bowling Green, KY.
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

92LRC 92 AC questions
Guru Newb
Weston, FL
88 Posts

Hey guys I have a few questions about the AC on a 92.

The Climate Control unit is giving me a code for low/no freon so I need to get the thing recharged.

1) Was the 92 R12 or R134 from the factory?

2) If it was R12 and has been updated to R134, how can you tell?

3) If it's still R12, how hard it is to update to R134?

Thanks for the help.
Posted on: 2011/8/1 16:38
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

1Fast04Vert Re: 92 AC questions
Elite Guru
The hills of N. Georgia
2424 Posts

Quote:

92LRC wrote:
Hey guys I have a few questions about the AC on a 92.

The Climate Control unit is giving me a code for low/no freon so I need to get the thing recharged.

1) Was the 92 R12 or R134 from the factory? R12

2) If it was R12 and has been updated to R134, how can you tell? The charging ports will be different.

3) If it's still R12, how hard it is to update to R134? If it just needs a 'top off' stay with the R12.

Thanks for the help.
Posted on: 2011/8/1 17:07

bogus Re: 92 AC questions
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

As I understand it, the biggest problem is with the hoses... and time...

The 92 hose wasn't designed for R134. 134 will leach out over time. You will need to upgrade to a 134 compatible hose to get max performance. Also, the compressor could be tired, depending on mileage. My 92 compressor is really starting to drag on the engine. Nearly 20 years and 180k miles have added up...
Posted on: 2011/8/1 18:20

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

bogus Re: 92 AC questions
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Also inspect your condenser. The bottom 3rd of mine is junk from road debris impacts.
Posted on: 2011/8/1 18:30

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

screamin_conure Re: 92 AC questions
Senior Guru
Northwest Indiana
346 Posts

Just as 95Vette pointed out, the '92 did use an R12 system, and if it has been changed out to R134a, you should be seeing R134a-style charging ports which if I recall correctly are larger than R12.

I had the system on my '92 converted to R134a last year. My condenser had a hole in it and needed to be replaced. So I had that done, installed new charging ports, and also replaced the accumulator. I did not replace all hoses, nor did I replace the compressor. Technically, I should do that because as Bogus points out, the lines, and even the compressor itself are designed to work with R12 which has a different molecular structure than R134a. My system does work, though I will say it doesn't blow quite as cold as it probably should. It's enough to keep you comfortable, but on a 95+ degree day with high humidity, we're usually wishing for a little lower temp coming out of the vents.

The problem with R12 is price and availability. Most shops don't work with it anymore for lots of reasons, and if they do, it's quite costly to have a system filled or topped off. I'd say that if your system has no leaks, find a shop that will add R12 to it for you and stick with that. If it's leaking, or if the compressor is on its way out, I'd have it repaired and make the move to R134a. At minimum, in addition to replacing the charging ports, be sure to replace the accumulator. If you want to do a proper conversion, you'll want to replace the lines and the compressor as well. Big bucks, but if you're planning on keeping the car long term, it might be worth it.
Posted on: 2011/8/2 15:41

92LRC Re: 92 AC questions
Guru Newb
Weston, FL
88 Posts

Quote:

screamin_conure wrote:
The problem with R12 is price and availability. Most shops don't work with it anymore for lots of reasons, and if they do, it's quite costly to have a system filled or topped off. I'd say that if your system has no leaks, find a shop that will add R12 to it for you and stick with that. If it's leaking, or if the compressor is on its way out, I'd have it repaired and make the move to R134a. At minimum, in addition to replacing the charging ports, be sure to replace the accumulator. If you want to do a proper conversion, you'll want to replace the lines and the compressor as well. Big bucks, but if you're planning on keeping the car long term, it might be worth it.

That is the issue I am faced with. I don't plan on keeping the car (certainly not as a daily driver) for more than another year. But in South Florida 95 and high humidity is the norm. I haven't been able to find a shop that deals in R12 although I can find it on Ebay without a problem. I just don't feel comfortable working on the AC myself.

I had a shop quote me $240 to replace the valves and ports and flush out the system to convert it to R134 so that is the way I am leaning.

Thanks
Posted on: 2011/8/2 17:07

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.