Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
258 user(s) are online (214 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
 Register To Post

cmashark steering rack questions
Guru
virginia beach, va
74 Posts

hey everyone,
i have an 87 coupe and i think the steering rack is suffering from morning sickness. has any of you rebuilt your own racks? i have found rebuild kits for our racks and was thinking about trying it out.....

chris
Posted on: 2008/2/4 1:25

bogus RE:steering rack questions
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

gee... no... considering that remanned ones are so cheap, I never considered going inside.

Are you sure the belt isn't getting soaked with antifreeze??
Posted on: 2008/2/4 1:54
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

NC Kid RE:steering rack questions
Elite Guru
North Carolina
1671 Posts

Are the remanufactured ones reliable? Midamerica sells them but so does autozone...
Posted on: 2008/2/4 2:27

cmashark RE:steering rack questions
Guru
virginia beach, va
74 Posts

it would only save about $100, but i can pick the rebuild kit up locally or i would have to order a rack, mail the core back, wait for a credit.....

the belt looks good....the steering wheel doesn't want to move much when i first start it, but after a few minutes idling, it works. i have no growling from the pump.
Posted on: 2008/2/4 2:35

CentralCoaster RE:steering rack questions
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Quote:
gee... no... considering that remanned ones are so crappy, I never considered going inside.

Edited for truth.

The autozone and even Delco reman racks are garbage overseas stuff. I bought mine from Meridian auto parts, they're a domestic remanufacturer. I had it side by side with the misboxed autozone rack, and the quality difference was obvious, so I assume the same for the quality of parts and labor on the inside of the rack too.

It costed me more, but I didn't like the idea of going back in to change the rack a 2nd time, even with the warranty. Good parts don't need a good warranty.

Before the swap, verify it's the correct ratio by turning the input with a crescent wrench. The Z51 racks should be 2 turns lock to luck.

I removed the rack by fishing it out the drivers side, had to disconnect the swabar.

Also I put a new pump and filter in at the same time so the rack wouldn't be contaminated with metal from the old one.

Someone recommended adding Lucas to cure the morning sickness, but it made mine 10x worse and finished off the dying rack. That fluid is way to thick to be pumped through the PS system, IMO.

Anyhow when you buy a reman rack you are essentially paying for a rebuild service, since you return your original as a core.

There are no new racks available, only remans.
Posted on: 2008/2/4 21:17

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.