Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
291 user(s) are online (240 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Aluminum Powerglide
Automatic Transmission - 2 Speed

1st Gear: 1.76/1.82
2nd Gear: 1.00

- Used in production GM models from 1962 thru 1972.
- 14 Bolt Pan.
- Vac...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

95Vert Parts Search - Superior Chevrolet
Senior Guru
Aiken, SC
440 Posts

So having an issue with the Blower Motor Control Module (BMC) and Blower fan as detailed in C4 Tech.

With lots of help, narrowed down the issue (I thnk) to the BMC. I replaced this part last May from Superior Chevrolet, contacting Chris in their parts department. It was and still is about $110 through them. Rock Auto sells the part for $100 and some change. Not a part available at the local NAPA, Advance or Auto Zone either as it is the BMC for the elelctronic HVAC Head unit.

I called around locally, and the parts were identically priced...$192.84. That is a large delta and the locals would not come off that price even when losing the sale. I've encountered this before on Dodge parts. The delta there was several hundred dollars and the local would not come off the price. Guess where I'm going to get my parts? Must be something about Kansas that makes the parts cheaper there

The other part of this scenario is that Chris had me in his computer file and said I purchased the same part last year in May. As it hasn't been 12 months, I need to purchase the part, then send him the old one back and I would be reimbursed under warranty excluding shipping.

Posted on: 2012/2/10 15:30

"Send lawyers, guns and money..."
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

BillH Re: Parts Search - Superior Chevrolet
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Good for you.

The price difference is always that way.

I never buy parts "downtown".

But I am lucky to have Summit Racing here (no shipping charges).
Posted on: 2012/2/10 15:41

95Vert Re: Parts Search - Superior Chevrolet
Senior Guru
Aiken, SC
440 Posts

I cannot get my mind around that. From the consumer point of view, the idea seems to be:

"I am not going to sell this part for less than what I think I can get and I'm going to let the sale walk away for ever and always, knowing that with the internet this issue could get posted and will hurt me in the long run."

I mean, this is not a one of a kind item where I need to wait for the right buyer. They could sell one, not make as much profit and wait for the next guy to pay full boat retail on the same next part they order from the warehouse.

I'm not understanding the cause here, unless Superior just sells so much that they get a steep discount from GM the local can't match (this is what's happening with those Dodge parts I get).
Posted on: 2012/2/10 15:47

bogus Re: Parts Search - Superior Chevrolet
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Here is the score... and you won't like it.

GM has an MSRP for all parts.

Dealers get to set their price.

GM has a wholesale dealer cost, say, $50 for a part.

Dealer happily charges MSRP, and expects the customer to pay it cause that's the price and that's it.

Customer balks and goes to another place that offers a better price. Superior is cutting us a deal, that's the bottom line.

Chris is a WHOLESALE parts distributor, not a retail parts distributor. He works in the wholesale department where they sell to garages and jobbers.

That's the other thing... garages and jobbers get deals. I used to buy parts at my honda dealer, in cash, via whatever random vendor account he had available. Saved me a bundle on parts.

The markup from dealer to jobber to customer is really good... try 2x or even 3x!! Take your part, the retail is $190 and change, they discount it to the jobber at the $110 rate... oooh, the jobber then DOUBLES it to resell to the consumer. BOHICA - bend over, here it comes again.

If it's a cheap enough part, say $30 or $40, the jobber could even TRIPLE the price.

This is why many garages and shops don't want people to bring parts. They lose money. But they don't have to provide warranty, tho.

It's a crooked game. And the reality is that many parts guys are still working like its 1989 and don't have a clue what the internet can or can't do for them.

Even the ones that do don't cut you much slack. Our local Chevy store here, Cormier, is horrid on pricing. Just horrid. But at least they have it.
Posted on: 2012/2/10 17:38

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I would hate to think how much I have spent with Chris (or his predecessor, since Sept 2000 when I made my first order).

Posted on: 2012/2/10 17:39

BillH Re: Parts Search - Superior Chevrolet
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Why would you expect the parts department at a dealership to be more honest than the sales department??????
Posted on: 2012/2/10 19:52

tjpreul Re: Parts Search - Superior Chevrolet
Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
1103 Posts

I get my parts from Superior or Rock Auto. I do price compare with the local stores, but they are always higher.
Posted on: 2012/2/10 19:58

'92 auto, MSD, Banski, Taylor wires, SS lines, C5 rims, 3.07 gears, white gauges, seats from a '96.

Motor: Forged rotating assy, Probe pistons, CC valvetrain, AFR heads, Procharger P1SC

Senior Guru
Aiken, SC
440 Posts

Didn't know Crhis was wholesale. Explains things.

Thanks for offering this resource as the savings is great. I also usually go to Superior or Rock Auto for Chevy stuff. For Dodge, I have to go to Chrysler Parts Center. Must be the same story.
Posted on: 2012/2/10 22:11

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

oh, it just hit me... you can exchange, under warranty, any GM part at any GM dealer.

I have done it before. Take the receipt from Superior, bounce over to your local Chevy shop and say - "it broken."

they give you new part, problem solved.

call this a duh moment... I have done this.
Posted on: 2012/2/11 0:35

Senior Guru
Aiken, SC
440 Posts

That I did not know! Great information. I did order the part from him so I think for this purchase I will follow through. He also had the purchase on file and I'm not sure where the receipt is right now.
Posted on: 2012/2/11 1:23

"Send lawyers, guns and money..."

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

oh, yea, that always helps! Chris is great! No question.
Posted on: 2012/2/11 2:17

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.