Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
244 user(s) are online (181 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Mouse Motor
GM production small block engines were known as Mouse motors.

Early SBC

4.3L 265ci - 1955 thru 1956
4.6L 283ci - 1957 thru 1962
4.9L 302ci - ...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

oilcan Banski camber rods installed
Guru Newb
WI
26 Posts

took me a couple hours on sunday to install these. not a tough installation at all.

original part notes:

turns out one was BENT?!?! stock camber rod on the passenger side. the rubber stock bushings were cracking and small chunks were missing. Also some aluminum was being shaved off of the bracket on the wheel side ( Part name? ).

dunno how hard it is to bend one of these but it dosnt seem like it was gentle process!

Banski part notes:

this truly is a beautiful product! clean installation
i also purchased the dust boots. when installed correctly they will work great.

Banski Installation notes:

basically all went smooth except 3 things.

First, the instructions were perfect except ( unless i missed it ) you cant figure out from the pic or instructions which side (front or back) to install the different sized spacers. my apologies if its in there and i missed it.

second i had to file down some aluminum and then the "spacers" so they would fit properly on the wheel side. no big deal just took some time and then tapped them into place

Third, and most disappointing was that no matter what i did i could not get the dust boots to work on the wheel side nuckle. the bolts wouldnt go thru correctly..i seriously spent well over an hour on the first side... i even got so desperate as to try modifying the boot and cutting on the side (this after the bolt cut through it and ruined it any way). i jsut couldn't make it happen, very frustrating.

all this being said... WOO HOOO!! im super happy with the product and the new handling characteristics!!!

im sure all of this frustration could have been solved with a call but i couldnt keep my car up on the stands till monday so i was forced to suck it up.

WOuld i buy this product again...... Actually i cant wait to buy all the rest the Banski products so HECK YESSSS!!!!

any one with dust boots, how did you do it?

Posted on: 2012/9/19 2:48

bogus Re: Banski camber rods installed
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I shoulda given you a copy of my install story... actually, I thought I had... ooopsie...

But I ran into the same issue with the ears on the upright. I think there is a little tension thing that goes on with the bolt that holds the camber rod in place.

As for the spacers, the idea is to keep the camber rod at the gentlest angle possible.

The bend? Blame it on an ignorant tow truck operator.

A little too late, but read that!

Attach file:

pdf CE Banski Article Compressed.pdf Size: 493.24 KB; Hits: 164
Posted on: 2012/9/19 3:11

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Matatk Re: Banski camber rods installed
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Good install report! Keep us updated with how you like them.
Posted on: 2012/9/19 11:42

astock165 Re: Banski camber rods installed
Registered Vendor
Manchester NH
199 Posts

Quote:

oilcan wrote:
First, the instructions were perfect except ( unless i missed it ) you cant figure out from the pic or instructions which side (front or back) to install the different sized spacers. my apologies if its in there and i missed it.

That's great feedback. We'll have to check the write up again to see how the wording is. The images were left a little vague on purpose since each car and user are going to be different. Andy is correct though in that we recommend installing the spacers such that the rod is at the gentlest angle when at rest.

Quote:

oilcan wrote:
second i had to file down some aluminum and then the "spacers" so they would fit properly on the wheel side. no big deal just took some time and then tapped them into place.

This is something we've run into before. Unfortnately the rear knuckle is not as precise a part as I'd like to see so there can be some variation in the width of that opening where the rod goes on that side. If you have access to a lathe (or a friend with one) it's usually a short job to face the end of the spacer to make it slightly shorter. We have also reworked spacers for some who have had this issue but that obviously takes longer.

Quote:

oilcan wrote:
Third, and most disappointing was that no matter what i did i could not get the dust boots to work on the wheel side nuckle. the bolts wouldnt go thru correctly..i seriously spent well over an hour on the first side... i even got so desperate as to try modifying the boot and cutting on the side (this after the bolt cut through it and ruined it any way). i jsut couldn't make it happen, very frustrating.

There is a little trick here that uses a short piece of wood dowel or some other kind of rod that is 5/8" in diameter. Using that allows you to get the boots on and spacers lined up on a bench and keep everything in place with that short rod. Then put that end into the knuckle and slide the bolt through and the goal is to push the short rod out with the bolt so the boot & spacers stay where you put then when you were working on the bench. Hope this one makes sense, it's hard to describe with just text.

Quote:

oilcan wrote:
all this being said... WOO HOOO!! im super happy with the product and the new handling characteristics!!!

WOuld i buy this product again...... Actually i cant wait to buy all the rest the Banski products so HECK YESSSS!!!!

any one with dust boots, how did you do it?

Glad you're happy withe purchase and we look forward to doing more business with you.
Posted on: 2012/9/19 11:59
www.banskimotorsports.com

oilcan Re: Banski camber rods installed
Guru Newb
WI
26 Posts

Bogus thanks for the article, very well done!

Thanks for the encouragement matatk!

Astock165, any way i can help im more than happy to! i think i get what your saying about the dowel but the boots are ruined so ill need others before i can try.

p.s. am i able to order just 2 dust boots?
Posted on: 2012/9/27 1:51

bogus Re: Banski camber rods installed
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

The only issue I have found with my install has been the location of the fuel lines... they are wrapped in a coiled spring protector to keep them from rubbing the frame, but their placement means they are rubbing one of the arms.

I need to relo the fuel lines a bit.
Posted on: 2012/9/27 15:39

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

astock165 Re: Banski camber rods installed
Registered Vendor
Manchester NH
199 Posts

Quote:
p.s. am i able to order just 2 dust boots?

Sure, just PM or email me your info. I have a number in stock and more on the way.
Posted on: 2012/9/29 13:49
www.banskimotorsports.com

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.