Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
271 user(s) are online (228 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  HUD
HEADS UP DISPLAY. A DIGITAL PROJECTED DISPLAY ON INSIDE OF WINDSHIELD CONTAINING VEHICLE INFO SUCH AS SPEED, ENGINE TEMP, RPM, ETC. FOR DRIVER INFOR...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

damien89 3-4 gears are slipping, what can i do?
Guru
53 Posts

Hi, haven't posted here in a while.

My dad's 89 vette auto has had the overdrive (4) slipping for a while (4 years or so) but because we live in Malta (europe) we never had it repaired properly because here distances are short and we dont need overdrive, so we just drove it with three gears.

A couple of years ago my mechanic replaced the 3-4 clutch pack but the overdrive didn't work at all from the first time. What are the causes for an overdrive to slip?

These last couple of months the tranny had another symptom, sometimes not always the 1-2 upshift took a bit long say like 1.5-2 seconds. Now last week my dad went out with the vette and it started to slip third gear also.

Yesterday i took it out for a spin round the neighborhood and it changed 1-2 ok but when it came to go into third its like it goes into neutral and if i press the gas the engine just revs up without any speed increase. I checked the fluid and the level was ok but it was brown instead pink/red and it did smell a bit burned.

What should i do? My mechanic is almost the only one who works on these kind of transmissions. Should i buy a clutch kit and tell him to install it?

I am also looking at the option of buying a 700r4 from some reputable shop from the united states and have it shipped.

For now i found a shop called gmen transmissions, anyone heard anything about them?

What other auto trans shops are there that have a good reputation?

Thanks
Posted on: 2013/5/5 11:16
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

pr0zac Re: 3-4 gears are slipping, what can i do?
Elite Guru
Pittsburgh
1045 Posts

3rd gear clutch pack is shot if it has the proper fluid level. Overdrive is a combination of the application of the 2nd gear band and the 3rd gear clutch pack. Im a little rusty on 700r4/4l60's. But if you've bad a low fluid level or a clogged filter it could have easily cause this. It sounds like it considering you said it has slow shifts and lack of gears.
Posted on: 2013/5/5 14:10

84Xfire Re: 3-4 gears are slipping, what can i do?
Guru Newb
Lake Havasu City, AZ
44 Posts

First off, DON'T do an exchange!...I'm going through this on my 700R4. The 700R4's that are in the 'vette have been worked to fit the car, not to mention the fact that they were made for 10 years and were made for 5 different vehicles. You wouldn't want a transmission for your '89 from an S-10 pickup, would you?

Bottom line: rebuild your transmission if at all possible.
Posted on: 2013/5/5 16:55

damien89 Re: 3-4 gears are slipping, what can i do?
Guru
53 Posts

Quote:

84Xfire wrote:
First off, DON'T do an exchange!...I'm going through this on my 700R4. The 700R4's that are in the 'vette have been worked to fit the car, not to mention the fact that they were made for 10 years and were made for 5 different vehicles. You wouldn't want a transmission for your '89 from an S-10 pickup, would you?

Bottom line: rebuild your transmission if at all possible.

Thanks for the tip
Posted on: 2013/5/5 18:15

bogus Re: 3-4 gears are slipping, what can i do?
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Damien,

I read prozacs comment.. but the news is actually worse...

The 700R4 has a tendency to break inside. When you lose third gear like that, it's because the input shaft to the 3/4 gear pack has broken - cut clear off, literally!

In Malta... damn, dude, I don't know what to suggest off hand. You may want to reach out to fellow Guru Sliding. He is in Croatia and is currently replacing his automatic with a 6spd manual. Perhaps you two could make a deal if his automatic is in good condition still.

I imagine that shipping from Croatia might be a ton cheaper than coming from the USA.

A few cars that transmission was use in, where you might get a decent used box to get back on the road with. All are 1985-1992 with 4spd OD automatics:

Chevy and GM pickup trucks (2 wheel drive) 1500 series
B-Body sedans- Caprice, Impala, Big Buicks and Cadillac Deville's
Firebird and Camaro (with V8s)

There is a difference... the way OD works on the Vette allows it to run up to top speed, but I get the feeling that really doesn't matter as much as the car actually RUNNING does.

Also, you would have to change the tailshaft housing from the other vehicle to the C4.

My thinking here is finding a used one, put it in to get back on the road and then worry about getting the Corvette box rebuilt when you have time, money or resources.

I will get PeteK to chime in. He is THE guru when it comes to transmission issues. I know he can help. He is sure as sure can be that anyone can rebuild one of these boxes, and he has a number of tech threads: http://www.corvetteguruforum.com/modu ... hp?topic_id=10612&forum=1

That outline transmission related issues and repairs. I would start there.

Pete can also direct you to parts... in your case, GM of Europe may be the cheapest place - Opal or Vauxall.
Posted on: 2013/5/5 19:38

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Guru
53 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
Damien,

I read prozacs comment.. but the news is actually worse...

The 700R4 has a tendency to break inside. When you lose third gear like that, it's because the input shaft to the 3/4 gear pack has broken - cut clear off, literally!

In Malta... damn, dude, I don't know what to suggest off hand. You may want to reach out to fellow Guru Sliding. He is in Croatia and is currently replacing his automatic with a 6spd manual. Perhaps you two could make a deal if his automatic is in good condition still.

I imagine that shipping from Croatia might be a ton cheaper than coming from the USA.

A few cars that transmission was use in, where you might get a decent used box to get back on the road with. All are 1985-1992 with 4spd OD automatics:

Chevy and GM pickup trucks (2 wheel drive) 1500 series
B-Body sedans- Caprice, Impala, Big Buicks and Cadillac Deville's
Firebird and Camaro (with V8s)

There is a difference... the way OD works on the Vette allows it to run up to top speed, but I get the feeling that really doesn't matter as much as the car actually RUNNING does.

Also, you would have to change the tailshaft housing from the other vehicle to the C4.

My thinking here is finding a used one, put it in to get back on the road and then worry about getting the Corvette box rebuilt when you have time, money or resources.

I will get PeteK to chime in. He is THE guru when it comes to transmission issues. I know he can help. He is sure as sure can be that anyone can rebuild one of these boxes, and he has a number of tech threads: http://www.corvetteguruforum.com/modu ... hp?topic_id=10612&forum=1

That outline transmission related issues and repairs. I would start there.

Pete can also direct you to parts... in your case, GM of Europe may be the cheapest place - Opal or Vauxall.

Hi bogus, thanks for the reply.

This morning i talked to my mechanic and he told me that he suspects that there is some clutch material in the torque convertor that sometimes its coming out bit by bit and hurting the transmission. What he suggested for now is that i buy a new torque convertor and see from there. I already have a set of clutches. I also would like to change the 2-4 band as this is the only component that we never changed and could also be one of the culprits for the o/d slipping.
Where is the best place to buy the torque converter and the band? The torque converter can be the same as stock but if possible i want the band to be a bit better than factory.

Thanks for the help.
Posted on: 2013/5/7 18:34

pr0zac Re: 3-4 gears are slipping, what can i do?
Elite Guru
Pittsburgh
1045 Posts

Seeing as how he said it used to work in third definitely points to low fluid because it couldn't maintain pressure in both circuits. And if you were to cross your t's and dot your i's you should have replaced the torque converter after he attempted to fix it the first time. It sounds as though your "mechanic" isn't all that well versed in transmissions. Buy a rebuilt trans with a converter and save yourself a headache.
Posted on: 2013/5/7 18:56

Guru
53 Posts

Quote:

pr0zac wrote:
Seeing as how he said it used to work in third definitely points to low fluid because it couldn't maintain pressure in both circuits. And if you were to cross your t's and dot your i's you should have replaced the torque converter after he attempted to fix it the first time. It sounds as though your "mechanic" isn't all that well versed in transmissions. Buy a rebuilt trans with a converter and save yourself a headache.

To be honest that is what i would like to do but, because i live in Malta shipping for a transmission is expensive, buying a converter is not as much expensive as a whole transmission and because i already have a clutch kit might as well give it one last shot.
To be honest if this doesn't work out i'm leaning more towards a zf6 conversion and be done with auto problems once and for all. We (my father and i) dont race this vette so we shouldn't have any problems with diffs exploding (D36).

Thanks for your replies, i really appreciate that you reply to my questions
Posted on: 2013/5/7 19:14

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.