Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
190 user(s) are online (112 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Transverse Leaf Spring
(TLS) A design first used by Chevrolet in the 1963 Corvette with independent rear suspension. When centrally mounted, it functions similarly to two ...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

kenvetted Driver side window stuck up
Guru Newb
santa monica
13 Posts

In my 1991 C4 the window is now stuck up, thankfully better than can't getting it up.

The motor is running and makes a clicking rumbling sound, but the window won't move.

My question is... should buy a new window regulator before I take off the door panels? It's about $279 http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb.d ... 35a~Z5Z5Z5~Z5Z5Z50000050F

Or since the motor is still working is it possible that the window fell off the track somehow and I can make it work again?

The other question is - Are the other parts that I should replace outer weather stripping and felt guides or such since the panel will be off?

- Any help is greatly appreciated - yes I know about the innuendo at the top, no need to make jokes.. I did it for you.

If you know a good service place in LA area that may just be the best, because it may too hard a job for me. But I just don't trust any mechanic to be as careful as I am -

Thanks,

Ken
Posted on: 2013/8/19 5:28
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

bogus Re: Driver side window stuck up
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

no need for a regulator... the motor is replaceable. About $30
each.
Posted on: 2013/8/19 5:41

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

TommyT-Bone Re: Driver side window stuck up
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33770 Posts

Here is a trick Bubba taught me. From the drivers seat with the door open, press the down button and firmly close the door at the same time. Try it a couple of times. You have nothing to lose. If it works, lubricate all the moving parts and tracks accordingly.
Posted on: 2013/8/19 12:02

j3studio Re: Driver side window stuck up
Elite Guru
Western Philadelphia Burbs
4247 Posts

Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote: Here is a trick Bubba taught me. From the drivers seat with the door open, press the down button and firmly close the door at the same time. Try it a couple of times. You have nothing to lose. If it works, lubricate all the moving parts and tracks accordingly.

Interesting ...

Posted on: 2013/8/19 13:26

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

hslf way there, Tommy...

what it reveals is a stuck brush in the motor. lube might help, but I know this car. it is a PERFECT 31k mile time capsule...I am afraid some parts may be aging out.
Posted on: 2013/8/19 16:24

kenvetted Re: Driver side window stuck up
Guru Newb
santa monica
13 Posts

Thanks so much...

Bogus - The motor seems to be working. It's making a grinding sound. I may try (J3Studio's idea) closing to the door with the Window motor on... My fear is that I won't be able to get the window up again. But that you would mean that the window is off the track. I was rattling a lot in a midway position before this happened. Is worth trying the slamming and if that doesn't work should I buy the regulator before taking off the door? How hard is the Door Panel Removal?
Posted on: 2013/8/19 17:09

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

there is no "track" with these things.

Grinding? that sounds like the internal drive of the motor has broken... same replacement, tho.

Rattling is absolutely normal with these doors. the glass is free floating and rattles like an SOB.

I wouldn't mess with it until you can get the door panel off and investigate. Let me check my schedule, perhaps Saturday you can stop by.
Posted on: 2013/8/19 19:57

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.