Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
185 user(s) are online (128 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  LT5
Engine used in the ZR1, 1990-1995, manual only....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

Travis93 Head and cam swap
Senior Guru
Cleveland Ohio
205 Posts

I found this great F-Body write up;

http://shbox.com/ci/cam_removal.html

Does anyone know of one for the Vette? I have looked and had no luck, at least I have not found one near as good.
Posted on: 2008/2/27 18:49
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

biggrizzly RE:Head and cam swap
2011 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4543 Posts

Shoebox, is a long time member of CamaroZ28.com and is a good resource for LT1 information. His tech sheets are pretty spot on for most LT1 engine related stuff. You have to just be sure that he is not discussing F-Body specific components.

Bogus (here) has a wealth of tech articles as well. Just do some surfing around here you should find what your looking for.

Do you have any specific questions about your head / cam swap? A few of us have recently been down that road or going down it now (like me)
I'm just about done. Not that it should take a mortal man 6 months to do this job, but I just do a little at a time as my wallet allows.
Posted on: 2008/2/27 20:44

Travis93 RE:Head and cam swap
Senior Guru
Cleveland Ohio
205 Posts

Hi there thanks for the reply. I agree that his article is very well written and it would probably be enough for me to do the job I was just hoping to find one like it for my C4 LT1. I will probably start my swap tonight, I have about 2 months before the weather will be ready for me to drive it again so I am not in any hurry. I just wanted a step by step plan in front of me when I started. I thought Bogus had a write up someplace around but I can not seem to find it. I doubt there are many changes from the F-body instructions but I did hear about unbolting the motor and jacking the front up to make room to slip the cam out, that’s the kind of C4 specific stuff I want.
Posted on: 2008/2/27 21:07

4543 Posts

Here is another step by step guide.
I used this for a lot of information starting out.

[color=blue:3a37033c2b]1994 LT-1 Heads and Cam swap[/color:3a37033c2b]
Posted on: 2008/2/27 22:56

Senior Guru
Cleveland Ohio
205 Posts

Looks like some good stuff there, thanks.
Posted on: 2008/2/27 23:12

Dick RE:Head and cam swap
Guru Newb
Sarasota FL
19 Posts

what kind of heads and cams have you all used in your swaps? How'd you like the combo, what kind of power gains etc. . .
Posted on: 2008/2/28 0:42

4543 Posts

Quote:
what kind of heads and cams have you all used in your swaps? How'd you like the combo, what kind of power gains etc. . .

Lloyd Elliot - Elliot Port Works
LE2

http://www.eportworks.com/[color=blue:f09e7da862]Elliot Port Works[/color:f09e7da862]
Posted on: 2008/2/28 0:59

Senior Guru
Cleveland Ohio
205 Posts

I also went with Lloyd Elliot, more of a LE1.5 though. LE1 porting with LE2 valves and a matched cam to go with them. He thinks I will be close to 400RWHP with the other stuff I am doing at the same time. EM headers, 3 inch custom made stainless exhaust, 50mm TB, 30# injectors, 1.6 roller rockers, and I plan to go to PMC for less for a tune to go with it.
Posted on: 2008/2/28 1:25

dan0617 RE:Head and cam swap
Senior Guru
Tyrone, PA
1260 Posts

You LT1 guys are lucky....the heads that came with your car are a true diamond in the rough.
Posted on: 2008/2/28 2:32

4543 Posts

I have the LE2 heads with pretty respectable flow numbers, matched to a LE ported intake and a light version of his LE2 cam for emissions purposes. I have all the recommended mods including the 30# injectors and 58mm TB, etc. The only thing that I'm lacking is the LT headers. I'm temporarily going to use the Hooker shorties I have.

I just got my PCM back from Brian at PCMForLess and talked with him on the phone today. Even though I trust Lloyd and his claims, and that he says that I will get 400-420 ho with the supported mods, Brian says that without the LT headers I'll be leaving 15-20 hp on the table and with the emissions cam, I'll be off a bit from the LE2 claims for 400rwhp. Brian says the car will probably go 325 at the wheels sitting as it is now. So... you see this is quite a bit less than I originally thought I'd have. I will have to do some more work to tighten that up.
Posted on: 2008/2/28 2:48

Senior Guru
Cleveland Ohio
205 Posts

Quote:
Brian says the car will probably go 325 at the wheels sitting as it is now.

325 is still a very nice number at the wheels, that’s what something like 75 80 hp boots? Close to 30% more power. I would be surprised if I do get 400 to the wheels but I sure would be happy dancing if I do. I would be very satisfied with 375 or even happy with 350, just going have to see what i end up with if I can get it on a dyno. I am sure no matter what its going to be a lot of fun to drive this summer.
Posted on: 2008/2/28 3:07

4543 Posts

Yup, I'm more excited about cranking it up and listening to that rumble for the first time than any numbers. Numbers look cool and are good for claiming big gains, but it all boils down to the smile on your face.
Posted on: 2008/2/28 3:10

Danspeed1 RE:Head and cam swap
Elite Guru
Mooresville, North Carolina
1121 Posts

Just wondering,

I see no mention of "degreeing the cam." When would this be necessary? This is the one part of the engine I have never been enthusiastic about tackling because of fear of improper alignment. If it is truely plug and play like mentioned in the article, this might just be swap I would consider.

DG
Posted on: 2008/2/28 4:03
1996 Ford Explorer
2009 Cadillac CTS-v

4543 Posts

Thousands of shade tree mechanics and driveway warriors change cams each year successfully without ever using a degree wheel. When I was much younger I did two top end rebuilds on my camaros with not a worry in the world and replaced heads and cam without the internet or the concern for the minute details that we concern ourselves with on these forums today. both my camaros ran just fine and gave me a great big grin.

However... enter the technology age and information overload. If you want an accurate picture of what your valve train is doing, degreeing the cam will provide that peace of mind. I borrowed a kit from a friend in my Corvette club. If you have to buy one they are around $100 to $150 depending on who and what comes in the kit. I used a cheap dial indicator from Harbor Freight on a magnetic base and the kit from my friend. It only takes about a week of understanding the concept and 5 minutes to perform the task.
Most people recommend this step and if you want to be sure of where your cam timing is relative to where it is supposed to be it should be done.

I will have to dig them up, but I have posted some good information and photos about valve train geometry and checking pushrod length.
Shoebox form CZ28 forum also has some information on his pages about degreeing the cam.
Cheers
Posted on: 2008/2/28 11:52

Danspeed1 RE:Head and cam swap
Elite Guru
Mooresville, North Carolina
1121 Posts

Quote:
Thousands of shade tree mechanics and driveway warriors change cams each year successfully without ever using a degree wheel. When I was much younger I did two top end rebuilds on my camaros with not a worry in the world and replaced heads and cam without the internet or the concern for the minute details that we concern ourselves with on these forums today. both my camaros ran just fine and gave me a great big grin.

However... enter the technology age and information overload. If you want an accurate picture of what your valve train is doing, degreeing the cam will provide that peace of mind. I borrowed a kit from a friend in my Corvette club. If you have to buy one they are around $100 to $150 depending on who and what comes in the kit. I used a cheap dial indicator from Harbor Freight on a magnetic base and the kit from my friend. It only takes about a week of understanding the concept and 5 minutes to perform the task.
Most people recommend this step and if you want to be sure of where your cam timing is relative to where it is supposed to be it should be done.

I will have to dig them up, but I have posted some good information and photos about valve train geometry and checking pushrod length.
Shoebox form CZ28 forum also has some information on his pages about degreeing the cam.
Cheers

This is a nice little thread you guys got going; it would be nice if you posted any other easily understandable information that would making doing the job or properly degreeing the cam easier.

:thumbright:

DG
Posted on: 2008/2/28 16:02
1996 Ford Explorer
2009 Cadillac CTS-v

4543 Posts

I bought one of the Power building Videos titled "Heads, Porting & Valve Train". They cover lots of great information on head porting and valve train geometry and demonstrate cam degreeing. For $39 its a great deal and there are three DVDs in the box if I recall.

See link below

http://www.enginevideos.com/titles.html
Posted on: 2008/2/28 16:35

Josh RE:Head and cam swap
Guru
Raleigh, NC
666 Posts

If you're going to use the stock timing set, or a new replacement stock set, degreeing the cam is kind of pointless. Sure, it'll let you know if the cam matches the cam card, but you don't have anyway of changing anything without an adjustable timing set.

I guess if you were deathly close to piston/valve contact it would be nice to know how close the cam was to the specs, but without the adjustable timing set all degreeing the cam will net you is information.
Posted on: 2008/2/28 19:09

4543 Posts

Josh,

You have a good point there. I thought the same thing as I wound up buying a stock replacement timing set, since I wasn't going the electric water pump route and I already had purchased the 1994 style MSD opti.
There are essentially no alternatives for LT1 timing sets unless you change to the LT4 style cam drive and use a double roller chain.

I asked around and most people told me it was still wise to check it in case there was a tolerance stack-up problem. It seemed so silly doing a check on something I couldn't fix except to guess if it was my cam, or timing set that was not within spec. Anyhow it was just about on the money and I haven't givin it any other concern. I had already bought and returned two timing sets looking for the one that I finally felt good about. (the stock GM replacement)

Next time around the block I'm going to put an electric water pump on, but for now, I'll stick with what I got.

Cheers - sorry for being so longwinded.
Posted on: 2008/2/28 20:21

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.