Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
240 user(s) are online (168 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Offset
The distance from the wheel mounting flange to the imaginary centerline of the wheel. Wheels with negative offset will protrude outwards more, while...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

corvetteronw Exhaust
Senior Guru
Lowell, MI
646 Posts

Over the last few years I have purchased some new and some used parts for my 91 L98 coupe.
This is my second summer of being retired. Last year I got all the projects done around the house and so this is my "Corvette Summer".
My current project is redoing the exhaust. I am too cheap to take it somewhere plus I like to play in the garage. I have a used catless front Y and the rest of the system (cat, O2 sensor, rear Y with crossover and mufflers) are all from Corvette Central.
Any advice out there? My LT-1 style muffler tips are both cockeyed and seem to set in about 1" too far.
In fact, the rear Y is about 1" too far forward of its rubber hanger. I'm wondering if I shoved the cat in too far on the front Y (slip fit).
It is very difficult doing this without being able to stand and get full leverage.
Any advice is appreciated!
Resized Image
Posted on: 2014/6/13 3:08

Matatk Re: Exhaust
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Are the tips squared when sitting on the mufflers off the car? Are they original to the mufflers or added on?

I think it is entirely possible the cat could be pushed in too far. Are there any measurements supplied by CC? Try moving it out a bit.

I would recommend using band clamps as well with the slip fit as opposed to standard clamps.
Posted on: 2014/6/13 4:05

corvetteronw Re: Exhaust
Senior Guru
Lowell, MI
646 Posts

The tips came with the Magnaflow mufflers. I am thinking of using a pipe wrench to twist the pipe that attaches to the rear Y to see if that might make the adjustment. No instructions came with the mufflers.
Posted on: 2014/6/13 15:52

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Are the mufflers separate from the y-pipe?
Posted on: 2014/6/13 17:02

bogus Re: Exhaust
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

hm... this is a mind bender...
Posted on: 2014/6/13 17:37

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

I think it's normal. When I had my magnaflow cat back it took some adjustments to get it sitting right. Just move stuff around a bit and then clamp it tight when done.
Posted on: 2014/6/13 22:16

corvetteronw Re: Exhaust
Senior Guru
Lowell, MI
646 Posts

Well, I got the left side ok but the right side is about an inch off. Gonna sneak down some back roads (don't have a current plate)and take it to a local mechanic who says he can heat the muffler's curved inlet pipe while his helper pushes on it to straighten it out.
While under the car I found a coolant leak at one of the clamps for the oil cooler. Just got back from NAPA with a new hose.
I have the nose, gills, rocker panels, headlight buckets, license plate cover off and prepped to paint. Looks like I am ordering base/clearcoat from TCP Global Restoration shop. It is priced reasonable and covers well according to a painter friend. $500 shipped to Michigan for primer, base, clear and all the required reducer/hardner.
Those rocker panels are interesting to take off. I have never done this on a C4 before. 4 stainless screws at the top, 2 screws at each end and 7 bolts on the lower side. It is difficult to see them with the car on the ground but they have quite a bit of road tar on them. Lots of dirt jammed in behind them too. Good thing I took them off. I am only going to rear cap loose and pull the marker and tail lights when I paint.
Eastwood has a nice "how to paint" series for anyone contemplating doing this.
Posted on: 2014/6/20 18:41

bogus Re: Exhaust
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I can't wait to see the results!!!

I am considering shooting my front bumper... but for the cost of materials, I might let the shop do it...
Posted on: 2014/6/20 19:00

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.