Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
124 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  NHMS
New Hampshire Motor Speedway. This is the new name for New Hampshire International Speedway from now on. ...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

96LT4CE How To Part 1: Drain and Flush
Guru Newb
NWI
112 Posts

While searching for radiator thread that was an end all be all and finding none I figured that I would work toward putting one together as I worked on my CE LT4. There are many ways to skin a cat, this was my way. YMMV so take this for what its worth.

after you get your car in a safe position go ahead and drain your radiator by opening the pedcock located on the passenger's side bottom of the radiator. In my case the leak in the radiator took care of most of that.

Resized Image

Next I began to take apart the duct work blocking the t-stat. All the arrows are areas that need to be addressed for removal:

Resized Image

Resized Image

Resized Image

Resized Image

Resized Image

I then pulled the cap on the coolant reservoir:

Resized Image[/URL]

I then loosened the bolts on the t-stat housing to introduce air into the system. once you loosen them enough you'll get some seepage so be ready to tighten up or use a rag to catch:

Resized Image

Resized Image

The air you introduced will lead to this so be ready to catch it! Remember, my radiator was already empty, so this is just residual in he system that needed air to be released:

Resized Image

Posted on: 2014/7/11 2:40

96LT4CE Re: How To Part 1: Drain and Flush
Guru Newb
NWI
112 Posts

I decided to try and flush the system by pulling the t-stat and flowing water through it. This is how I did it.

Close the pedcock and then pull the t-stat housing off:

Resized Image

Resized Image

As you can see there was nothing wrong with my t-stat but since I was already there i will replace anyway. Cheap insurance:

Resized Image

Resized Image

With the t-stat removed you can see coolant:

Resized Image

With the t-stat out, replace and tighten the housing:

Resized Image

Now your pedcock should be closed and your t-stat housing tight with no t-stat loaded. Fill the reservoir with water. I in my naive state of mind thought 1 gallon of distilled water would do the trick.

Resized Image

After filling the reservoir with the gallon. I started the car and let it run for 5 min. The idea is with no t-stat loaded you will get water circulating and flushing out everything when you open the pedcock again. Well when I opened the pedcock this came out:

Resized Image

Yup, that's my gallon of distilled water. As orange as it gets. It was at this point i knew I was in for a long day.
Posted on: 2014/7/11 3:01

Guru Newb
NWI
112 Posts

After I noticed my gallon of distilled water didn't even cause a dent in the system I filled the reservoir with 2 more gallons of water. repeated the process. then added another gallon of water and repeated the process. So now we have 4 gallons of water through the system. and here are the results.

Resized Image

OK, I was done with running the car. The coolant comes out hot and it burns! I decided to just leave the pedcock open and let water flow. I added 5 gallons through the system. and here they are:

Resized Image

getting "cleaner" but still not clean. So another 4.5 gallons and we get to here:

Resized Image

OMG. this is not working. By this time I've now come to the realization that if I wanna do this right the knock sensors have to come out!
Posted on: 2014/7/11 3:09

Guru Newb
NWI
112 Posts

Crawl under the passenger side and look near rhe header by the heat wrap and you'll see this.

Resized Image

Driver side near the oil pan sensor and you'll see this:

Resized Image

Those are teh shields that protect the KS. they have to be removed to gain access to them:

Resized Image

Once the shields are removed each knock sensor has a plug that needs to be removed. Just pinch and pull. and that will expose the KS

Resized Image

Posted on: 2014/7/11 3:15

Guru Newb
NWI
112 Posts

Once the KS are exposed its time to remove them. Remember to have something under you to catch the fluid. and if you were running the car like me, THE COOLANT MAY STILL BE HOT EVEN IF YOU FLUSHED ALMOST 10 GALLONS OF WATER THROUGH IT!

Resized Image

i pulled the KS on the passenger side 1st. In the block this is what came out. remember, the system has had almost 10 gallons of water through it:

Resized Image

That's over 1 gallon out of just teh passenger side!!!

Resized Image

With the passenger KS out I decided to attack from the top with more water:

Resized Image

4.5 gallons from the top down and out the passenger side KS later.... Still ORANGE!

Resized Image

another 4.5 gallons

Resized Image

Frustrating! so I moved on to the driver side. But b4 I did I plugged the ks back into the passenger side. Even after flushing the passenger side with 9 gallons of water this is what came out of the drivers side:

Resized Image

that's still close to 1 gallon of orange!

Resized Image

After only 3 gallons of water this is what I got:

Resized Image

With my luck changing I pulled the passenger side KS and left the Drivers side out as well. Attacked from the top with the garden hose and just let it flow for a few minutes.

Resized Image

Resized Image

At this point saving the environment was the last thing on my mind. I was doing everything i could not to torch the car
Posted on: 2014/7/11 3:29

Guru Newb
NWI
112 Posts

By this time my thread about KS thread sealer was going strong and we learned that GM used some ultra top secret red in color thread sealer no one knew what it was or where to get it. So based on that thread the best choice I found was this:

Resized Image

After letting the car air out over night with the KS removed it was now time to re install them. First it was time to put thread sealer on. leave the first 1/3 of the threads clean and apply to the 2nd 2/3:

Resized Image

Resized Image

After you install the KS using your 22mm socket and torquing to 15 foot pounds go ahead and replace the electrical plug and shields:

Resized Image
Posted on: 2014/7/11 3:40

Guru Newb
NWI
112 Posts

Now that we have the engine block flushed, the radiator flushed, and the system "dry" we can focusing on cleaning the high fill and overflow reservoirs

High Fill first:

Resized Image

1st loosen and remove both hoses attached to it:

Resized Image

Resized Image

next remove the two top screws:

Resized Image

once the two top screws are removed you will be able to lift the tank out of it's place. Don't pull to hard as you still have to disconnect the wiring plug from the bottom. When lifting it out of place there is a plastic spike that's molded into the tank. It will be press fit into a rubber grommet. Gentle pressure will get it out. also, in my pic I still have the hoses attached. pull those 1st so that they will not be in your way. Once teh tank is removed go ahead and rinse it out and flush ant debris that may be trapped inside.

Resized Image

As a side track, while the tank is out, now is a great time to flush your heater core! One of the heater core hoses was attached to the high fill tank the other needs to be separated from it's valve to get access. Once separated use a garden hose at 1/4 to 1/2 open to flush the core. Flush from one hose for a minute or so then switch to the other hose.

Resized Image

Once the heater core has been flush and the tank cleaned simply reverse the steps to reassemble.

Resized Image

Now we turn to the overflow tank. Loosen one screw and remove three bolts.

Resized Image

Resized Image

Resized Image

Resized Image

Resized Image

once out, clean:

Resized Image

Resized Image
Posted on: 2014/7/11 4:44

Guru Newb
NWI
112 Posts

This is the part of the story where if this was just a clean and flush I would say re install the overflow tank, load a t-stat and then do your fill procedure. But this inst that story. All this was done as a precursor to what really got us here, and that is the need for a radiator replacement. So with taht said, be on the look out for part 2 which is just that. A detailed thread on radiator replacement. The work is already done, pictures taken etc. But doing a thread like this takes a lot of time, and I need a break. I hope part 1 is helpful to at least one person out there!

Good luck, take your time and don't be scared
Posted on: 2014/7/11 4:49

GRIS Re: How To Part 1: Drain and Flush
Elite Guru
OKLAHOMA
7727 Posts

THIS WAS A REALLY GREAT PRESENTATION!
Posted on: 2014/7/11 13:05

---"yellow is for folks who think a bright red Corvette is too restrained."
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

bogus Re: How To Part 1: Drain and Flush
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20861 Posts

fantastic write up!!!!

A couple of thoughts...

I had a lot of rust in my system... the engine sat for some time and had really gotten rusty inside. When I did my last coolant swap, I had a lot of rust in the overflow tank. It simply settled in the bottom.

I used water, some Simple Green like cleaner, and a number of large self tapping screws with course threads. Shook that up and that removed just about all the rust inside the tank.

I do want to replace it, simply because it is getting old (22 years and nearly 200k miles), but I don't have to YET. I am going to do another flush soon. I want all that rust out, and as of the last flushing, I think I got about 80% or more out, there is a touch more to get rid of.

For the newbies to the LT1 world, note the t-stat in Post #2, Picture #4. The t-stat has a large disk on the bottom. That is because the water pump is much like the human heart, and that disk closes off one set of passages and opens up another. It is beyond important that when the LT1 t-stat is replaced that the right type of t-stat is used.

Posted on: 2014/7/11 17:47

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Guru Newb
NWI
112 Posts

It's funny that you mention rust and cars sitting.

My car sat in the garage unused for over 18 months. Closer to 24 actually. With that said, I have a FOLLOW up thread to my DIY's coming up addressing exactly what you mentioned.
It has now been 10 days since I completed the work and about 350 miles and there are a few things I have noticed already that are in line with your mentioning of rust. Stay tuned!
Posted on: 2014/7/11 18:41

Ultraman Re: How To Part 1: Drain and Flush
2015 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Huskerland
14790 Posts

Well done....nice write up.....maybe that all has to do with your shoulder hurting....
Posted on: 2014/7/11 20:02

Vote DeSantis in 2024.... Make the IRS go away...

Guru Newb
NWI
112 Posts

lol, I wish my issue was from wrenching!
I just hope my issue doesn't effect my wrenching!!
Posted on: 2014/7/11 21:17

bogus Re: How To Part 1: Drain and Flush
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20861 Posts

I hope the shoulder gets better!

I will be curious what you find re: rust.

My engine was dry... hence, rust and lots of it But not anymore.
Posted on: 2014/7/11 21:26

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Matatk Re: How To Part 1: Drain and Flush
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22811 Posts

Nice write up!
Posted on: 2014/7/11 23:47

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.