Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
301 user(s) are online (254 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  NCM
The mission of the National Corvette Museum is to celebrate the Corvette's invention, and preserve the legendary automobile's past, present, and futu...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

95Vert LS1 Swap
Senior Guru
Aiken, SC
440 Posts

I'm just starting to think seriously about this particular project.

What i want to do is put an LS1 with T56 manual transmission into my 89 RX7 Turbo. Its a fairly well known swap and the hardware is all available for purchase. Electrical has all been figured out.

What I am less sure about is buying the actual LS1. I'm thinking of the latest or newest version if you will, probably put in a 2004 or so GTO. Though I can get the takeout combo from a variety of sources, does anyone know what I need to look for or how to do it when sourcing the motor? I've also read a bunch on Norotors.com, but some of these guys are fairly advanced.

Further, what should I do to the motor in terms of minor upgrades or maintenance while the motor is out? Some of these guys upgrade to LS2 intake manifolds etc, double roller timing chains, etc. Not quite sure if that is necessary, but I thought I'd ask here. I'm comfortable here as opposed to on someplace like LS1Tech where I would be really new.

Ralf
Posted on: 2014/8/4 2:40
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

BillH Re: LS1 Swap
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Posted on: 2014/8/4 3:31

bogus Re: LS1 Swap
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

so Bill points him to LS1tech! smooth....

I have been in the middle of a motor swap for way too long and am getting ready to do the LSx swap in Bastet44's 87 Vette...

From what I have determined, anything to make the engine more durable is best.

The 6 litre is great, the 6.2 is better.

You are in SC, so I would go after a truck engine... Big GMC SUV or Caddy 6.0 or 6.2. I prefer the latest 6.2 litre, all aluminum.

Depending on emissions, you will need cats. That's going to be iffy. I would use the truck manifolds and put the cats down stream, away from the engine.

It's late... I am sure I think of more stuff
Posted on: 2014/8/4 6:09

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Matatk Re: LS1 Swap
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

#1 question, what is your goal?
Posted on: 2014/8/4 23:41

Andrew Re: LS1 Swap
2013 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Jefferson City, MO
447 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:
#1 question, what is your goal?

Yep, agree!

I just went through a conversion on a Jeep TJ:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/other ... ls-into-a-99-jeep-tj.html

As you mentioned, there are numerous kits to mechanically get it to work. I used a 5.3 in the conversion and just made sure that the crank bearings and bottom end of the motor looked good. Many of the donor motors out there are in wonderful shape and will not need much.

The only piece of advice that I wish I knew before the conversion is to trash the OEM computer and gages. Getting the OEM dash and electronics to work with the GM computer is where the cost escalated. I'd recommend one of those dash packs or the like. Clean, easy and overall cheaper.

Sounds like a cool project and keep us updated. FYI, the shop that did much of my work just finished up an iron block 6.0 and placed twin turbo's from a mid 90's GMC diesel behind it. They actually work and the thing absolutely fly's!! By the way, I think the turbos were ~$50 each...
Posted on: 2014/8/5 20:57

Sold - 1996 Competition Yellow LT4 - DRM 383, NX N2O, Line Lock, LT Headers, 3" stainless exhaust, Power Effects, and many more mods

SOLD 1996 Competition Yellow LT4
SOLD 1979 4 Speed with 383

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

three easy steps to 1000 hp for under $5k... talk about a deal.

Posted on: 2014/8/5 22:11

95Vert Re: LS1 Swap
Senior Guru
Aiken, SC
440 Posts

Well, in terms of goal, the idea is twofold, basically. First, get rid of a rotary that someone has just gone overboard on.
I got it super cheap out of CA, guy couldn't register it since it won't meet emissions there. Transport cost more than the car. Haltech, water injection, I actually had the turbo rebuilt...so it will move, but reliability on a rotary, especially one that's built is a huge question mark.

With the LS1, the car is faster, lighter actually and gets a huge increase in mpg. The electrical has been figured out and the RX7 systems stay. Gm computer is tied in.

The operative idea is an LSI out of Camaro, T/A or GTO.

Bottom line is speed and dependability. MPG is a great benefit as well.
Posted on: 2014/8/6 3:02

"Send lawyers, guns and money..."

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

now... let me come back to an earlier point.

The LSx family was used in trucks. It's the same damned motor at a fraction of the price.

Get the big 6.2 litre out of a GMC Yukon and get 400 hp on the dirt cheap.

The T56 is easy enough.

Reprogram the engine controller and you are smoke'n.

Do the pricing, the car LS1 is going to be much more expensive than a truck motor.

And all you said about MPG and performance and durablity is absolutely correct. The rotary is cool, but a gas guzzler and not super durable when pressed... at least not the 2 rotor versions... 3 or 4 rotors? a lot less fragile.
Posted on: 2014/8/6 4:28

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.