Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
262 user(s) are online (208 user(s) are browsing Forums)

teebee, more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  St Louis
St Louis, MO, is the location of the Corvette assembly plant from 1954-1981.

Since 1981, Corvettes have been assembled in Bowling Green, KY.
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

Travis93 Testing the car out before getting a tune in it.
Senior Guru
Cleveland Ohio
205 Posts

I am close to finishing my build. Heads and cam, something between a LE1 and LE2, 30# injectors, 52mm throttle body, and headers. I was wandering if it would be safe to start the car before I get a tune in it just to make sure everything is working right. I have been putting of getting the tune because I want as much of the summer as I can get to tweak it in. I am a little worried though because I have heard about a bad tune messing up a motor. If anyone has a tune they want to send me that would be better than stock I would be ok with that. It’s a 93 LT1 auto and I have a burner and several blank chips. I was just going to send off the pcm4less for a bin file, still will I just want to be able to start it while its still garage bound.
Posted on: 2008/3/13 18:13
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

93ragtop Re: Testing the car out before getting a tune in it.
Guru
Manassas Va
61 Posts

How big is the cam? Mine started and ran not too badly with the stock tune.(I have stock injectors) The new chip helped with idle and part throttle more so then the full throttle.
Personally, I think the injectors are going to be the worst part with a stock tune, but if you have a burner, you can change that fairly easily.
By the way, I have a BIN from Nathan Plemons which he ran in his hotcam car I could send you. But I promised Alvin not to send his out.
Posted on: 2008/3/13 21:09
93 White Vert. 3.73 gears, Yank 3000 converter,385ci. Built by Rklessdriver!! Ross pistons, Scat Rods, and Crank, custom Mike Jones Cam, AFR 210 heads, Exotic Muscle LT headers, magnaflow mufflers Meziere water pump. My best run 11.19 ET at 124.63mph

Travis93 Re: Testing the car out before getting a tune in it.
Senior Guru
Cleveland Ohio
205 Posts

The cam is an LE1 non emissions I think Lloyd said it would idle like a hot cam but make more power if that helps. I am not planning to drive it at all without a tune I just want to start it and make sure it runs after having it all apart. I am not sure it will do me any good though because it will probably run like crap and I will still not know if it’s right. I did not want anyone to send me someone else’s tune, I was just thinking if you did your own tune and had something close to mine I would not mind barrowing it.
Posted on: 2008/3/13 23:13

twisted Re: Testing the car out before getting a tune in it.
Guru Newb
New Jersey
20 Posts

I agree with Rag - the injectors is the only concern - if you could make that change only, you would be in good shape to test. My gut tells me you are gonna run rich and foul plugs until the 30's are identified in the chip
Posted on: 2008/3/14 0:08

Senior Guru
Cleveland Ohio
205 Posts

Ok I found and adjusted the injector size, is there anything else I should do? Thanks for the help guys.
Posted on: 2008/3/14 2:22

93ragtop Re: Testing the car out before getting a tune in it.
Guru
Manassas Va
61 Posts

I think that would be it for just a start. The tune I offered by Nathan, he did not mind giving out, He did it himself, on a dyno.
FWIW I ran mine (not knowing at that time) for almost a year on the stock tune, but that was with stock injectors. It idled rough, and you could tell that idle and part throttle were rich. But full throttle was only down by about 15-20 hp.
Oh, and if you do get your tune from pcmforless, I think he will e-mail the bin, then you can download it to your own chip and save some money. Also, consider downloading a program called VEmaster, I think. Anyways, you drive the car with your new chip taking datamaster scans, then load the chip bin and it will make fine adjustments to the ve tables.
Good luck and let us know how it goes!!
Posted on: 2008/3/14 11:35
93 White Vert. 3.73 gears, Yank 3000 converter,385ci. Built by Rklessdriver!! Ross pistons, Scat Rods, and Crank, custom Mike Jones Cam, AFR 210 heads, Exotic Muscle LT headers, magnaflow mufflers Meziere water pump. My best run 11.19 ET at 124.63mph

CasetheCorvetteman Re: Testing the car out before getting a tune in it.
Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

Quote:

twisted wrote:
I agree with Rag - the injectors is the only concern - if you could make that change only, you would be in good shape to test. My gut tells me you are gonna run rich and foul plugs until the 30's are identified in the chip

You need your gut to tell you that?
Quote:

Travis93 wrote:
Ok I found and adjusted the injector size, is there anything else I should do? Thanks for the help guys.

Yes. You should start it up and see where the MAP is at idle, normally, with a stock cam, the engine idles at about 30 kpa and 650-700 rpm, if you have an aftermarket cam, your idle MAP will be over farther to the right, at whatever kpa it is, if it idles at between 50 and 55 kpa, then you need to take the ve settings from the 35 kpa and put them at the 50-55 kpa. That will give you a better starting point i reckon.
Posted on: 2008/3/14 11:51

Senior Guru
Cleveland Ohio
205 Posts

Quote:

CasetheCorvetteman wrote:

Yes. You should start it up and see where the MAP is at idle, normally, with a stock cam, the engine idles at about 30 kpa and 650-700 rpm, if you have an aftermarket cam, your idle MAP will be over farther to the right, at whatever kpa it is, if it idles at between 50 and 55 kpa, then you need to take the ve settings from the 35 kpa and put them at the 50-55 kpa. That will give you a better starting point i reckon.

At the moment this makes my head hurt but it is the kind of thing I am planning to try and learn. Thanks for the point in the right direction.
Posted on: 2008/3/14 21:16

Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

Shouldnt make your head hurt mate. Its a piece of piss to do. If you had a 94 or 95 i would do it for you.
Posted on: 2008/3/14 21:18

Senior Guru
Cleveland Ohio
205 Posts

I didn't think it was hard my point was that I know absolutely nothing about it. I have been spending all my spare time learning about collecting and installing the hardware. Now that that is done it is time to start with the software side. I have done a couple scans just playing around and making sure everything worked. I also socketed my memcal read the chip and flipped through the tables, again just making sure it all works.
Posted on: 2008/3/15 2:41

Senior Guru
Cleveland Ohio
205 Posts

By the way, Case and everyone else that knows so much more than I do about this stuff, I hope you are patient with me and all the stupid questions to come about this stuff.
Posted on: 2008/3/15 2:43

Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

Ask all the questions you like mate, if you dont ask any you cant learn anything. If you dont know the answer its not a stupid question.
Posted on: 2008/3/15 2:51

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.