Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
272 user(s) are online (222 user(s) are browsing Forums)

j3studio, more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Offset
The distance from the wheel mounting flange to the imaginary centerline of the wheel. Wheels with negative offset will protrude outwards more, while...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

istter1 fixed electrical problems Now on to Problems caused by leaking brake fluid
Elite Guru
Bakersfield Ca
2336 Posts

http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c ... rvoir.html#post1593005303

Lol still can't post some pictures here Andy Drives me nuts. We almost replaced every wire that even looked funny. just joking . It is done.

I am assuming that the lack of fluid caused the pads to ware improperly. I have only removed one wheel that I saw at the shop so far. I am home with my baby now. On the inside passenger side there is almost no pad left. The other side of the rotor the pad is just fine. The rust is because I washed crap off the fender wells. The rotor may not be usable . What is the minimal ware on the rotors does anyone know off hand. Not sure whether to replace the pads and see how they ware or what. I will have time to access what other damage there is .
The double reservoir replaced the 87 corvette single without a problem.

These are Hawk pads and new rotors put on at the same time . less than 20,000 miles on them

Just a note the brake lights would stay on until I lifted the pedal.
Posted on: 2016/9/7 4:00

hcbph Re: fixed electrical problems Now on to Problems caused by leaking brake fluid
Senior Guru
269 Posts

I've had similar issues but not with the Vette. The lack of fluid I don't think would cause uneven wear, rather lack of clamping pressure.
The caliper should slide so it stays centered, and that's your problem IMO. If I had to express a guess, I'd say the calipers are hanging up on the pins so they can't slide.
I'd check out the pins, you might be able to clean them up and lube them so they slide well. You could also consider replacing and lubing them well.

My thoughts.
Posted on: 2016/9/7 10:15
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

istter1 Re: fixed electrical problems Now on to Problems caused by leaking brake fluid
Elite Guru
Bakersfield Ca
2336 Posts

My first thought was the dragging hot shoe. Will know more when I get off work and have a chance to pull it apart.
As I pulled in driveway the vet only rolled a few feet before stopping by itself.
Posted on: 2016/9/7 13:06

hcbph Re: fixed electrical problems Now on to Problems caused by leaking brake fluid
Senior Guru
269 Posts

One more thing I can think of is stuck pistons in the caliper. They extend but not retract when the pressure is let off the pedal. There is a slight chance it could be the hoses but then again it would affect bode sides to the caliper IMO.
Posted on: 2016/9/7 13:47

BillH Re: fixed electrical problems Now on to Problems caused by leaking brake fluid
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

I only have the 92 &94 FSM's. So, you can find the rotor thickness in the FSM you just bought.

Yea, something's hanging up. After you get it on stands, turn the tires by hand, that will tell you if something, hung up (and I'll bet it is). As, said take a good look at the pins and caliper where it slides.
Free up the calipers with some light prying then. hit the brakes. If the rotors are again hard to turn, the calipers/pistons are sticking.

From the pics, it looks like this has been going on for many miles.

Hawk pads don't wear like this, I have them on my 92.
Posted on: 2016/9/7 14:07

BillH Re: fixed electrical problems Now on to Problems caused by leaking brake fluid
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

hcbph wrote:
One more thing I can think of is stuck pistons in the caliper. They extend but not retract when the pressure is let off the pedal.

Yea, and an indication of that is that the brake pedal is down enough to keep the brake lights on.
Posted on: 2016/9/7 14:09

istter1 Re: fixed electrical problems Now on to Problems caused by leaking brake fluid
Elite Guru
Bakersfield Ca
2336 Posts

I agree on the hawk pads they are worth the money. When it cool /100/ down tonight I check drivers side. Then move to the back. The drivers side drags by hand with the tire on. Pretty stiff just turning rotor.
Posted on: 2016/9/7 23:16

Elite Guru
Bakersfield Ca
2336 Posts

Passenger side front pads half the size of drivers side. A light drag on rotor on drivers side. How much drag should I feel?
What the difference between not loaded and semi loaded caliper.
Haven't checked rear yet.
Posted on: 2016/9/8 2:21

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

istter1 wrote:
Passenger side front pads half the size of drivers side. A light drag on rotor on drivers side. How much drag should I feel?
What the difference between not loaded and semi loaded caliper.
Haven't checked rear yet.

The light drag is probably correct, it does take a little effort (the pads are supposed to drag a bit to keep the rotors clean).

Not sure what you mean about loaded and semi.

But there's obviously a problem on the pass side, You could try pulling the pads and see how the caliper is sliding or if it hangs up. The pistons hanging up is a bit harder to determine since it takes some effort to compress them even using a 6 inch C-clamp when changing pads.

You could pull the pads, free up and lube the caliper then apply the brakes hard and see if the rotor will spin easier like the drivers side. If it very hard to spin again, it may be the piston hanging up.
Posted on: 2016/9/8 16:05

Elite Guru
Bakersfield Ca
2336 Posts

I followed your advice and the rotor was back to being hard to turn.
Summit had a good price on calipers so I bought both left and right.
They will be here tomorrow.
Ya I know Bill all you have to do is driver over and pick them up.

Here the same ones are $15 higher and it was going to be a wait to get them any way.

In no big rush haven't had a chance to check rear yet.
Posted on: 2016/9/9 0:00

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Does sound like the pistons were hanging up then, let's hope so. Good Luck
Posted on: 2016/9/9 1:38

bogus Re: fixed electrical problems Now on to Problems caused by leaking brake fluid
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I agree... this is caused by dry caliper pins and/or a worn piston.

Posted on: 2016/9/9 16:15

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Matatk Re: fixed electrical problems Now on to Problems caused by leaking brake fluid
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Uneven wear is not caused by low fluid. It is either a dry and sticking guide pin(s) or piston/caliper issue.
Posted on: 2016/9/10 0:43

Elite Guru
Bakersfield Ca
2336 Posts

Thanks guys
Posted on: 2016/9/10 3:30

Elite Guru
Bakersfield Ca
2336 Posts

Well front brakes are done. Sticking piston passenger side. Pedal stays up brake light doesn't come on.
When I get back from a trap shoot at North Hollywood Spokesman club and a trip up hwy1 pch to visit my parents Pismo beach.
Posted on: 2016/9/17 2:26

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

istter1 wrote:
Well front brakes are done. Sticking piston passenger side. Pedal stays up brake light doesn't come on.
When I get back from a trap shoot at North Hollywood Spokesman club and a trip up hwy1 pch to visit my parents Pismo beach.

Posted on: 2016/9/17 15:22

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.