Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
295 user(s) are online (255 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  TH400
Automatic Transmission - 3 Speed

1st Gear: 2.48
2nd Gear: 1.48
3rd Gear: 1.00

- Used in production GM models from 1964 thru 1990.
- 13 Bolt ...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

Danspeed1 Continuation of ECM diagnosis in regard to No communication with ECM through datalink with chip inst
Elite Guru
Mooresville, North Carolina
1121 Posts

Thanks again to everyone who helped me out with my MAT IAT sensor issue; this is the continuation thread to previous thread in regard now to ironing out the ECM issues

So here's where I stand. I know it seems like its taking me forever to get this car done but to my defense I only have a couple of hours a week to work on it. Last year I ordered a Chip from PCM's of NC. Great customer service BTW, they have been so helpful over the course of the past year. Believed that the chip was bad so I called them and they sent me a new one right away. I was wrong. We found the issue with the distributor and then the issue with the IAT sensor. I installed the new chip and the car barely runs. So I removed the chip and reinstalled the factory memcal and nothing else. Finally the car runs, and I actually drove it. But it doesn't drive well. As to be expected since the stock memcal is in and the car is lightly modified. So I called up PCM of NC again they sent me out a new tune on a BIN file, no questions asked. Unfortunately I have no way of putting it onto the chip so I ordered a Moates APU1 AutoCal figuring I like these cars well enough it was worth spending the money. After 4 hours of pulling my hair out I was able to burn a new chip. Installed the new chip only to find the car barley runs once more and the check engine light and fan is on. I decided to run the codes and see what I came up with. Plugged in the APU1, and it wouldn't sync, so I moved to the ALDU1 data logging cable and tried to launch TTS Datamaster. Again I was unsuccessful. Grabbing my last line of defense, my trusty old Snap on red brick I still was not able to check anything as there is "no communication with the vehicle." Take out the chip and everything hooks right up. Has anyone ever seen this before? I'm assuming there is an issue with the chip itself, but not a burning issue or a bad chip issue. Something else? Thoughts?

DG
Posted on: 2016/9/7 1:54
1996 Ford Explorer
2009 Cadillac CTS-v
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Danspeed1 Re: Continuation of ECM diagnosis in regard to No communication with ECM through datalink with chip inst
Elite Guru
1121 Posts

So on the phone with moates customer service today. Great guys, learned a lot today. They actually took control of my computer hooked up to car and went in and looked around a bit. Over the past year we accumulated additional Memcals and I just recently put a remanufactured ecm into it from advance auto. After a bunch of testing between different chips, and memcals, it appears as though the ECM is bad,... again... seems pretty unbelievable but I had the expert look at it and we both agreed. So back to the auto parts store to try yet another ecm. They must love me over there.

DG
Posted on: 2016/9/7 21:07
1996 Ford Explorer
2009 Cadillac CTS-v

Danspeed1 Re: Continuation of ECM diagnosis in regard to No communication with ECM through datalink with chip inst
Elite Guru
1121 Posts

Picked up the new ECM this morning. No good news. After fiddling with Tuner Pro for 2 hours I went back to my trusty scan tool only to find the vehicle is not communicating with the ECM again. I'm so lost. This is ECM #5. I have to think there is an issue with the car somewhere, but I have been through all the fuses and everything is fine. The car communicated with the last ECM, just kept blinking the check engine light and wouldn't accept the emulation on my autoprom.

Here's the list of things I've learned today:

1. The vehicle is still in limp home mode with the autoprom installed
2. The vehicle remains in limp home mode with just the memcal installed and no auto prom
3. I no longer have a check engine light at KOEO
4. I no longer have a check engine light at all
5. The vehicle will not even communicate with my snap on scan tool
6. All my fuses are good.
7. I am beginning to dislike this car

As always, the tech support is appreciated.

DG
Posted on: 2016/9/8 19:04
1996 Ford Explorer
2009 Cadillac CTS-v

Schrade Re: Continuation of ECM diagnosis in regard to No communication with ECM through datalink with chip inst
Elite Guru
eastern NC / e-i-e-i-o
1909 Posts

Quote:
Installed the new chip only to find the car barley runs once more and the check engine light and fan is on. I decided to run the codes and see what I came up with.

Check 8A Flow Chart for Fan Stays on. Read the ENTIRE Flow Chart for a clue...

Have you checked continuity on all channels in ALDL?

And it's easier to follow if you can break up into paragraphs.....
Posted on: 2016/9/8 19:29

Resized Image

Elite Guru
1121 Posts

Well,

"IF" this occurs again and I expect it will, I will start attempting to diag any possible issue you guys can come up with that I haven't thought of. I do believe I once again received a bad ECM. The last 4 were from China, this one was from Mexico. I just ordered another one from Mexico. I found by accident that when you pushed down on certain areas of the board inside the MIL light and fans would come on and then when you released they would sound like they were shorting. Even with one person pushing down and me trying to make communication with the vehicle we weren't able to accomplish our goal. So I took it back to the auto parts store, accompanied by a video this time and they ordered me yet another one.

I have two questions at this particular moment.

1. Does anyone have a list of vehicles/and or part numbers of ECM's that will work with this car. I am thinking of heading to the U Pull it yard for an off model donor

2. Is anyone willing to sell a known good ECM that will work with this vehicle. If I can get a hold of an honest known good ECM i can put all this to bed and start focusing on the car again..... or it will just run and ill be happy. Either way works,

Dan
Posted on: 2016/9/8 21:23
1996 Ford Explorer
2009 Cadillac CTS-v

Elite Guru
1121 Posts

New ECM, no communication again. The issue must be with the car. Which is odd because it communicated 2 days ago, but whatever. Idea's???

I'm going to check out flow chart 8a
Posted on: 2016/9/9 18:34
1996 Ford Explorer
2009 Cadillac CTS-v

joeld Re: Continuation of ECM diagnosis in regard to No communication with ECM through datalink with chip inst
Guru
Lawrenceville Ga
718 Posts

Do you have the stock memcal in now, or the "custom" chip?

Joel
Posted on: 2016/9/9 23:37

BillH Re: Continuation of ECM diagnosis in regard to No communication with ECM through datalink with chip inst
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

Danspeed1 wrote:

1. Does anyone have a list of vehicles/and or part numbers of ECM's that will work with this car. I am thinking of heading to the U Pull it yard for an off model donor

Dan

Pretty hard to tell if we don't know what year your car is.
Posted on: 2016/9/9 23:40

Matatk Re: Continuation of ECM diagnosis in regard to No communication with ECM through datalink with chip inst
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Sorry, I haven't been on the forum in a couple of days.

With the "new ECM" does it run with the stock chip?

What type of adapter are you using for the burned chip?

What is the part number of the burned chip?

Have you tried another chip to burn?

What is orientation of the chip in the adapter?

Please take a picture as installed.
Posted on: 2016/9/10 0:48

Matatk Re: Continuation of ECM diagnosis in regard to No communication with ECM through datalink with chip inst
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:
Quote:

Danspeed1 wrote:

Dan

Posted on: 2016/9/10 0:48

BillH Re: Continuation of ECM diagnosis in regard to No communication with ECM through datalink with chip inst
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Well, I do know that any ECM from a 92/93 Firebird or Camaro is the same as a 92/93 Corvette. The chip will plug right in and the car runs fine (I have one).
Posted on: 2016/9/10 0:54

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

1990/1991 corvette ecm # 16198260. You'll have to cross reference it online.
Posted on: 2016/9/10 0:57

Elite Guru
1121 Posts

Quote:

joeld wrote:
Do you have the stock memcal in now, or the "custom" chip?

Joel

I have cycled between just the stock memcal as well as the autoprom emulation tool. It doesn't run long with the stock memcal but I dont expect it to either because of the injector size, however it seems to want to run with the tune, but keeps flickering the check engine light. As the light flickers the car misses.

DG
Posted on: 2016/9/10 17:04
1996 Ford Explorer
2009 Cadillac CTS-v

Elite Guru
1121 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:
Quote:

Danspeed1 wrote:

Dan

1990 Corvette. Stock refreshed bottom end. Ported aluminum L98 heads, small cam, TPIS mini ram, Hooker Headers, No EGR, HEI distributor

DG
Posted on: 2016/9/10 17:06
1996 Ford Explorer
2009 Cadillac CTS-v

Elite Guru
1121 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:
Sorry, I haven't been on the forum in a couple of days.

Thats's quite alright. I never get to post very often anymore as I am always so busy, but I appreciate all the help you've given me over the years.

With the "new ECM" does it run with the stock chip?

It doesn't run very long on the stock chip, but I don't expect it to either. The injectors are larger and with the number of modifications, even though they are light mods, I don't think the stock chip should support them. On the last known bad ecm, the car did go directly to limp mode which it did run on at 1400 rpm.

What type of adapter are you using for the burned chip?

G1

What is the part number of the burned chip?

SST 27SF512 Chip, but it wont run in emulation mode either

Have you tried another chip to burn?

What is orientation of the chip in the adapter?

Connected to the non chip side (limp mode side) of the memcal

Please take a picture as installed.

Sure, actually, Ill take a bunch of pics today and even a video!

Thanks
Posted on: 2016/9/10 17:20
1996 Ford Explorer
2009 Cadillac CTS-v

Elite Guru
1121 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:
Well, I do know that any ECM from a 92/93 Firebird or Camaro is the same as a 92/93 Corvette. The chip will plug right in and the car runs fine (I have one).

Thank you! Hold that thought just one more day, I am having a hard time believing the ecm is bad, I want to check all the wiring again first! If that doesn't fix it I will likely pm you for details!

Dan
Posted on: 2016/9/10 17:22
1996 Ford Explorer
2009 Cadillac CTS-v

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

It is possible to install the chip upside down in the memcal adapter. There should be a little half moon on the chip and that tells you how to orient it. Same with when you burn the chip. Instructions are on the moates website with pictures.
Posted on: 2016/9/11 1:53

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Posted on: 2016/9/11 1:56

Elite Guru
1121 Posts

I did make some progress in the right direction today (I think), but I am still having issues. I could write all this up but its easier if you just watch the video.

Posted on: 2016/9/11 3:46
1996 Ford Explorer
2009 Cadillac CTS-v

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

I watched the video. It does seem like an unusual problem. The fact that it goes away with the stock chip and returns with the aftermarket makes me suspect the g1 adapter is the problem. Perhaps a bad solder joint or something on the board. I would be inclined to try another, but I don't want to tell you to spend money on something and it not be the problem. Does moates have any suggestions?
Posted on: 2016/9/12 2:11

Elite Guru
1121 Posts

I decided to purchase another one anyway. I purchased one with a ZIF socket. If it fixes the problem, great, if not I will have it for the next car. It seems as though their will always be a C4 of sorts in my life LOL.

DG
Posted on: 2016/9/12 14:37
1996 Ford Explorer
2009 Cadillac CTS-v

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

I have the one with the zif socket, it is easier to use.
Posted on: 2016/9/13 2:31

Elite Guru
1121 Posts

G1 with ZIF came in today. Installed it and tried to emulate with the Autoprom. Nothing new, same issues, except now I am getting a code 51 for EPROM malfunction. I'm out of ideas. Does anyone have a known good .bin for a 1990 350 with TPIS, Headers, Ported Heads, Cam, and 22lb injectors?

Dan
Posted on: 2016/9/16 16:17
1996 Ford Explorer
2009 Cadillac CTS-v

Elite Guru
1121 Posts

BTW, I am trying to understand which files work with which a little better. I see online files are listed as AYBK for 1990 Corvette. I am assuming this is in regard to the broadcast code???? My factory memcal says BFXB. What does this mean?
Posted on: 2016/9/16 17:33
1996 Ford Explorer
2009 Cadillac CTS-v

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.