Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
168 user(s) are online (109 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
 Register To Post

PeteK Auto trans tip for monday- shift points
Nanticoke, Pa
1311 Posts

Questions on changing the shift points on a c4 come up often. Moving the adjusment on the tv cable will alter the shift points because line pressure to the governor is altered. THIS IS NOT AT ALL CORRECT! DO NOT DO THIS.
On a 4l60e(94-96) Shift points are changed through pcm reprogramming. Earlier units use a governor. Like an early distributor, they contain weights and springs. The only correct way to change the shift points on these transmissions are to alter or change the weights and/or springs. This is often done through trial and error. Some guys have "formulas" regarding rpm vs weights(in grams) to achieve the correct shift rpm for their combination.
Posted on: 2006/9/4 14:27
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

xrcrx so right!
Guru
Webster TX
83 Posts

If you use the TV cable to adjust shift points you will very likely burn up your transmission!
Posted on: 2006/9/6 5:59
00 TLR 1000

PeteK RE:Auto trans tip for monday- shift points
Nanticoke, Pa
1311 Posts

True. Tv can only be in 1 position to be correct. If the cable is loosened, or tightened to a different position, it WILL burn up the trans. ust a matter of when. Most of the time, if a newly remanufactured trans fails prematurely, it is incorrect tv adjustment. This is easily seen during teardown. The 3-4 clutch pack is toast and the rest of the trans is often like new inside.
Governor weight changes are the only correct way to acheive specific rpm shift points. I am in the process of doing some R&D to try to come up with a weight vs rpm chart. Hopefully this will help others in the near future.
Posted on: 2006/9/6 11:30

CasetheCorvetteman RE:Auto trans tip for monday- shift points
Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

This is why i love my 94 and my laptop and my ALDL cable and Tunercat and.....
Posted on: 2006/9/6 14:24

xrcrx Case...
Guru
Webster TX
83 Posts

Quit braggin Case. I like my non-computer terrorized unit just fine! :thumbleft: Adjusting the TV cable really isn't that bad. Just about 4-5 minutes max.
Posted on: 2006/9/7 5:36
00 TLR 1000

CasetheCorvetteman Re: Case...
Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

Quote:
Quit braggin Case. I like my non-computer terrorized unit just fine! :thumbleft: Adjusting the TV cable really isn't that bad. Just about 4-5 minutes max.

Yeah, but you cant just adjust your shift points in less than 3 minutes!!! (i can make mine shift into any gear at any speed VS throttle position, and if i dont like it, i can change it again in seconds, then reprogram the PCM in just under 3 minutes, then go out and test!!)This is the part i like, the TV cable is easy, i used to check it every few weeks when i had the 87, it never moved, so it held its adjustment perfect (4 or 5 minutes though??? Ive never done one on an 84, so im guessing you need to remove the aircleaner lid eh?)
Posted on: 2006/9/7 13:24

KeyWestJack RE:Auto trans tip for monday- shift points
Guru Newb
Pittsburgh
25 Posts

Posted on: 2006/10/30 12:26

red_johnny RE:Auto trans tip for monday- shift points
On Sabbatical
Augusta, GA (85 383 stroker)
3213 Posts

sounds like a decent kit. But then again, I got me a stick shift so I have no room to talk
Posted on: 2006/10/30 13:10

PeteK RE:Auto trans tip for monday- shift points
Nanticoke, Pa
1311 Posts

The B&M kit is a good one. Fairbanks, Tci and others rebox the same parts and pieces. It includes a few weights and springs for an almost endless possibility of shift points. There is only 1 thing I do not like about them. The weights are all different. The gm governors have equal size weights on each side of a factory governor. To do this with the B&M kit (or others) will require 2 kits be purchased. This does not really matter much though, because every car is different, trial and error are typical.
Posted on: 2006/11/3 14:18

94hillbilly RE:Auto trans tip for monday- shift points
Guru Newb
Conway, AR
7 Posts

Ah,

Maybe, someone (Case, the Corvette Man) can help me. I've got a 94 LT1 and I've been trying to figure out what to use to scan it. I've got a couple of old IMB Thinkpads. I bought a couple of Moates' cables, both the OBD I and II. then, I found out I needed a USB adapter (PCMIA). Only thing is, my old Thinkpad won't take the newer card, it has a line of little raised dots along the front edge and won't insert into the port. Mr. Moates just said "Gee, I thought they where all compatible".

Well, I ain't upset about all this, it's just education. Anyway, I've downloaded the program to scan the car, but, I haven't decided (or really figured out) where to get a cable. Guess I need a serial cable, huh?

Posted on: 2006/11/28 15:51

PeteK Re: Auto trans tip for monday- shift points
Nanticoke, Pa
1311 Posts

TTT
Posted on: 2008/12/7 4:10

wesmigletz Re: Auto trans tip for monday- shift points
Senior Guru
Land of Fruits and Nuts
325 Posts

I have a 700R4 of unk origin in our 62. It was rebult by a local shop. It currently upshifts around 5000 - 5100 RPM.

To access my governor, I need to pull the distributor cap, pull the driveshaft, and unbolt the crossmember. As such, trial and error to adjust shift points would be a pain.

Is there a way to ball park what weight/springs to use to get the W-O-T shift point into the 5500 - 5800 range? I have a B and M governor kit to work with.

TIA,

Wes
Posted on: 2008/12/7 4:23

Nanticoke, Pa
1311 Posts

2 inner weights that are approx 8.0 grams each.
Posted on: 2008/12/7 4:24

Senior Guru
Land of Fruits and Nuts
325 Posts

Quote:

PeteK wrote:
2 inner weights that are approx 8.0 grams each.

PeteK, would that be with the stock outer weights?

Thank you,

Wes
Posted on: 2008/12/7 4:28

Nanticoke, Pa
1311 Posts

Yes it would.
Posted on: 2008/12/7 4:31

Senior Guru
Land of Fruits and Nuts
325 Posts

Quote:

PeteK wrote:
Yes it would.

Thank you, I'll give it a shot.

Wes
Posted on: 2008/12/7 4:32

jsup Re: Auto trans tip for monday- shift points
Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Thanks pete. I had them install the Corvette valve body, with the lightest available springs.
Posted on: 2008/12/7 13:39

dan0617 Re: Auto trans tip for monday- shift points
Senior Guru
Tyrone, PA
1260 Posts

I messed with the governor alot in my '89 700R4. Never could change the springs much at all from stock as it caused a no shift out of first gear condition. I got the full throttle shift points where I want by dremel cutting the inner weights down a little at a time. I got the shift firmness where I want it by installing a B+M shift improver kit, but I still can't get the part throttle shifts up where I want them. I'm thinking of installing a TCI constant pressure valvebody so I can play with the TV cable settings and not risk anything. That valvebody is suppose to have automatic shifts, good shift firmness, and the ability to taylor part throttle shifts by playing with the TV cable and not risk a low line pressure condition. Anyone know if it works as advertised? Anyone here ever try one? What do you think Pete? I like the idea of having higher line pressures to help keep the trans from slipping under high power, if it works like it is supposed to.
Posted on: 2008/12/7 16:03

JDSWHITE93 Re: Auto trans tip for monday- shift points
Senior Guru
Ohio
334 Posts

My car shifts goofy, when you take off it's fine but it just doesn't shift soon enough under normal crusing conditions. It will hold first gear way too long when you are taking it easy, if you let off the gas it will shift.
As long as your foot is on the gas it will hold first gear far too long, oh and it shifts really hard the 1-2 shift under w.o.t. can be a sideways experience on asphalt. It's been shifting like this ever since I put the gears in it. Any ideas what to look for ?
Posted on: 2008/12/9 23:27

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.