Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
261 user(s) are online (219 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
 Register To Post

Notorious Climbing the wall.....
Elite Guru
Downbound train, NC
2184 Posts

1963 Mercedes Unimog at play.
Unimog video
This is my boss' toy and one that will sadly soon be for sale. When I started working there a while back, I was rather indifferent about this thing, knowing little about it. But seeing it progress, working on it and learning more about it and it's capabilities, I've grown to like the crazy thing. They're capable of much more than any other production 4WD vehicle available. They've been used by armies around the world for decades, as well as in many civilian applications. They're still being made and the new ones cost in excess of a quarter of a million dollars. Not only are they extremely well built, but their important systems have designed-in redundancy to a ridiculous degree.
This vintage model has only about 130 HP in it's original, gas-powered engine. I would suspect that torque is quite well in excess of that though, likely well over double that number. We converted it to propane which provides no more power but results in a much cleaner burn and thus extremely extended engine life.
It's not a road vehicle for the most part, so top speed is barely over 50 MPH. It's actually considered by Mercedes to be a road legal tractor, in essence.
Posted on: 2008/4/6 0:37

Livin_the_dream Re: Climbing the wall.....
Senior Guru
robesonia , pa
516 Posts

Interesting, that thing looks like it could go almost anywhere!
Posted on: 2008/4/6 14:35
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

CasetheCorvetteman Re: Climbing the wall.....
Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

The Unimog. Yes indeed. My mate has 2 of them. One is a late 70s, the other is an 83 or 84. Both are diesel.

The newest ones are quite a machine, and very road driveable at far more than legal speeds.

I noticed in the video that is running on LPG (propane as you call it), which wont give you longer engine life. Not a chance. Its a dry gas, so i hope youre using some sort of upper cylinder lubricant.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=CxdX0au-BNA
Posted on: 2008/4/6 15:05

TommyT-Bone Re: Climbing the wall.....
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Looks like it could be a candidate for this.

Attach file:

jpg  2A_camper_S.jpg (18.50 KB)
852_47f8ec4fa19f5.jpg 399X200 px
Posted on: 2008/4/6 15:29

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.